Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any chance Elon will delete falcon wing doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the X because of the utility of the Falcon Wing Doors. They are great, very useful, easy to get in and out. The front and rear trunks go up and down so I don't see why the doors for driver and passengers can't be up and down too.

I bought it since 2017 and over 43 thousand miles without any problem.

Anyhow, you might get what you wish for someday because Elon Musk threatened that:

"I mean, they're very expensive, made in low volume. To be totally frank, we're continuing to make them more for sentimental reasons than anything else. They're really of minor importance to the future."

Between the more expensive Model X and less expensive Model S, guess which one was sold more in the first half of 2020:

Model X: 9,500 units
Model S: 4,700 units

So who says that more customers pick a simple and cheaper door Model S?

I think that has to do more with X being an SUV versus a sedan. People like the easy in and out, cargo space, and upright seating position of SUVs. And based on sales, this is not something unique to Tesla.

Last edited:
Seems like a very long shot that this would happen. The X is iconic because of the doors. You don't take the iconic part of an icon away.

That's coming from someone who has had an X for over 4 years and has disliked the doors every step of the way. I'd absolutely love an electric SUV without falcon wing doors and with similar range and towing capacity to the X. But there's nothing being produced at this time that comes close. The Rivian R1S may be an option in a year or two.

Is there any chance there will be a a model X without the falcon wing doors. IMHO they have served their marketing purpose. The price of modX can be reduced and an apparent maintenance issue will be eliminated. I'm new here and maybe this subject has already hashed over and would welcome a direction to it.
Tesla already make an SUV that is cheaper than the X and doesn't have falcon wing doors - its called the Model Y
The Model X continues to sell well so not sure what reason Tesla would have to make a fundamental change like that.
To dissect the comment further.
Why would Tesla need to reduce the cost of the Model X - to what purpose?
What "apparent maintenance issue" are you referring to?
If it needs eliminating it must be pretty serious and fundamental, in which case I'd expect the forums to be alight because of it.
As the the forums obviously aren't a full of people suffering from fundamental design issues with FWD, I can only assume that the apparent maintenance issue is actually just assuming that it is complicated therefore likely to fail.
If that is the case then all those incredibly complex ICE powered cars must need constant maintenance to keep them running - oh, wait......
:D

Reactions: CPhoenix
Tesla already make an SUV that is cheaper than the X and doesn't have falcon wing doors - its called the Model Y
The Model X continues to sell well so not sure what reason Tesla would have to make a fundamental change like that.
To dissect the comment further.
Why would Tesla need to reduce the cost of the Model X - to what purpose?
What "apparent maintenance issue" are you referring to?
If it needs eliminating it must be pretty serious and fundamental, in which case I'd expect the forums to be alight because of it.
As the the forums obviously aren't a full of people suffering from fundamental design issues with FWD, I can only assume that the apparent maintenance issue is actually just assuming that it is complicated therefore likely to fail.
If that is the case then all those incredibly complex ICE powered cars must need constant maintenance to keep them running - oh, wait......
:D
I don’t own a X (yet, I have a LR on order), I have had 2 model 3s. The FWD maintenance issues most common on the forums are: weathered and leaking seals (especially on the roof) and faulty sensors that cause door to not open properly.

Except for the Model 3 and the Model Y. And it's looking like the Roadster too but we haven't seen it yet.
what structural changes have been made to the 3 or Y? they are as designed (version 1) and so is every other car elon has made, there is no next version model of any car tesla has made they may make a new SUV but it wont be the Model X "new version"

He did make a facelift for the S but that was non structural

what structural changes have been made to the 3 or Y? they are as designed (version 1) and so is every other car elon has made, there is no next version model of any car tesla has made they may make a new SUV but it wont be the Model X "new version"

He did make a facelift for the S but that was non structural
For example: In the first famous Sandy Munro teardown, Sandy was critical of the way the Model 3 frame was made, with multiple pieces and bolting/welding odd shapes, both front and rear. Elon's response was "yeah we fired that guy". Frame was reworked into fewer pieces.

For example: The huge casting machine that they patented has now been delivered in Shanghai and in the works in Berlin. Not yet clear about Fremont or Austin. In Shanghai, it is believed to be for Model Y initially, then Model 3.

Tesla doesn't do model years, but incrementally updates the cars. A Model 3 delivered today is quite different from the first ones off the assembly line in 2018.