Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any configuration regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my long EDD timeline, I wanted to make sure I researched any regrets you made with your configuration (exterior/interior/wheels).

I have Red/Black/Aero on order, but my friend told me something like 70% of Tesla owners regret getting black interior. So from then on, I wondered what else do people regret?

If you could go back in time and change your configuration would you?

• Disagree
Reactions: kessel_run
I would love to see where this "70% of tesla owners regret getting black interior" statistic is coming from. Given the number of people who post "I got a stain on my white seats! How do I get it out?!?!?! I thought these were super stain resistant?!?!!"

I would think that would be reversed. I read almost every thread in the model 3 subforum here and do not remember reading a ton of people saying they regret their black seats. Some do say they thought white looked better but didnt want to deal with it, though.

To answer your thread question, No, I wouldnt currently, but if one of the colors that is supposed to be made in the german gigafactory comes stateside, I might then want to sell my car and get one in one of those colors. Mine is blue, and I like it, but I like the blue that is supposed to come from the german factory better. I just dont know if it will ever be offered here, but if it is, it might be the final impetus to get me to sell my model 3 performance and buy a replacement of the same car.

EDIT: one thing I do see quite a few people saying they regret (in some form or another) is buying SR+ tesla model 3s instead of LR ones. That regret is either direct (rarely) or indirect complaints about range (very, very often).

We
With my long EDD timeline, I wanted to make sure I researched any regrets you made with your configuration (exterior/interior/wheels).

I have Red/Black/Aero on order, but my friend told me something like 70% of Tesla owners regret getting black interior. So from then on, I wondered what else do people regret?

If you could go back in time and change your configuration would you?

I do have a regret, though not because I would have chosen a different configuration. The configuration I chose (should be in my signature) was just fine. I chose it partly because where I ran every day a guy was parking his red Model 3 outside his house, and I loved the color every day when I ran by, for many months. I chose the white inside because I read a convincing article by a journalist who had recently purchased a red Model 3 with a white interior. I had /still have no coherent idea of what wheel size does so I just left it alone At 18”.

So what’s wrong, what do I regret? I regret that it took me 6 weeks to get the car. It would have taken 4 weeks more (at least) if I hadn’t used the Discord server to find an identical configuration that was already in inventory in Southern California. The way I look at it now, though, is that I should have gotten on the Discord server from the very start, and used it to order an already-in-inventory car right off the bat, and therefore probably would have had my new car within a week.

In other words, even though I got the configuration I wanted, in retrospect I really think I would have been just as pleased with any of the colors or either of the interiors. Those things just aren’t that important to me. I already knew the biggest reason why I wanted the car in the first place; because I spent a number of years driving an electric motorcycle to work and around town, and it is that freedom feeling of getting floated along the road by the batteries that really make EV’s attractive to me. None of the Tesla colors are ugly, none of them would rob me of that feeling.

So my regret is that I went 8 or 9 weeks longer than I needed to without a Model 3 to drive, whatever color it was…

Reactions: TBrownTX
No regrets. I have a white on black Long Range with 18’s. White was my favorite color on this car (previous car was white too), so added bonus there’s no up charge. I sometimes wish I had gotten the 19’s, but I’ve heard the ride quality is better with the 18’s. But really I actually like the look of the 18’s, both with and without the covers. And it lets me change the appearance easily. And I have a young son so the black interior made more sense. I don’t like white on white, but since I prefer the white exterior the black interior made more sense.

Reactions: Oil Freedom
EDIT: one thing I do see quite a few people saying they regret (in some form or another) is buying SR+ tesla model 3s instead of LR ones. That regret is either direct (rarely) or indirect complaints about range (very, very often).
Was this with older cars with the NCA battery (more capacity loss than LFP), resistance heating (more energy consumption in cold weather), and lower rated range to begin with?

I have no regrets about choosing SR+/RWD, especially since I ended up getting an LFP battery, and the cars had heat pump heating by then. So I am getting the rated range or better, despite often having roof cargo. Granted, freeway driving is often traffic-limited to speeds below 60mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: house9 and rpiotro
Was this with older cars with the NCA battery (more capacity loss than LFP), resistance heating (more energy consumption in cold weather), and lower rated range to begin with?

Because the LFP model 3 SR+ hasnt been around that long, relatively speaking, I would say yes, most of the complaints I see on range as it relates to the SR+ is about the NCA variant.

I have red and black. My 7 yo picked the colors. I could afford that risk because I believe all the color combos are excellent.

My thought process on the white interior, and this is just my perspective, not an objective truth... The white interior is really limited to select elements of the interior being white. The headliner is a different color. The dash is a different color. The doors have panels in contrasting colors. My preference is minimal color contrast, which I found best represented in the black interior.

We

I do have a regret, though not because I would have chosen a different configuration. The configuration I chose (should be in my signature) was just fine. I chose it partly because where I ran every day a guy was parking his red Model 3 outside his house, and I loved the color every day when I ran by, for many months. I chose the white inside because I read a convincing article by a journalist who had recently purchased a red Model 3 with a white interior. I had /still have no coherent idea of what wheel size does so I just left it alone At 18”.

So what’s wrong, what do I regret? I regret that it took me 6 weeks to get the car. It would have taken 4 weeks more (at least) if I hadn’t used the Discord server to find an identical configuration that was already in inventory in Southern California. The way I look at it now, though, is that I should have gotten on the Discord server from the very start, and used it to order an already-in-inventory car right off the bat, and therefore probably would have had my new car within a week.

In other words, even though I got the configuration I wanted, in retrospect I really think I would have been just as pleased with any of the colors or either of the interiors. Those things just aren’t that important to me. I already knew the biggest reason why I wanted the car in the first place; because I spent a number of years driving an electric motorcycle to work and around town, and it is that freedom feeling of getting floated along the road by the batteries that really make EV’s attractive to me. None of the Tesla colors are ugly, none of them would rob me of that feeling.

So my regret is that I went 8 or 9 weeks longer than I needed to without a Model 3 to drive, whatever color it was…
Mind sending the article?

Mind sending the article?
Sorry, it’s not coming up in any google searches I can think of at this point. It was 9 months ago when I saw it, an article written by a female staffer from an automotive magazine. She didn’t have enough money to afford an LR, but she had enough to to get a red Model 3 with white interior. She was already pretty familiar with Model 3’s and felt pretty strongly about that red/white color combination.

Sorry, it’s not coming up in any google searches I can think of at this point. It was 9 months ago when I saw it, an article written by a female staffer from an automotive magazine. She didn’t have enough money to afford an LR, but she had enough to to get a red Model 3 with white interior. She was already pretty familiar with Model 3’s and felt pretty strongly about that red/white color combination.
Ah okay.

My only turnoff with the white interior was that it felt too bright for me (even when it wasn’t sunny out). I also didn’t like the white dash as it felt like having a LED strip right below my eyes. Ditto for the door inserts.

The black just felt more calm which I liked.

BUT, everyone has been saying they are happy with the white so I am probably going to change my order cause I’m guessing I will get used to the brightness

Reactions: Destiny1701
Some do say they thought white looked better but didnt want to deal with it, though.

I'll take "That's me for a $1000 option, Alex."

It looks great but I can't imagine it's terribly practical. With a kid and a dog and taking the car camping and such .... black interior made sense for me.

I agree with the other point of your post - I've seen plenty of SR+ regrets. Never LR regrets.

Regrets = Z E R O
D
I'll take "That's me for a $1000 option, Alex."

It looks great but I can't imagine it's terribly practical. With a kid and a dog and taking the car camping and such .... black interior made sense for me.

I agree with the other point of your post - I've seen plenty of SR+ regrets. Never LR regrets.
even if we don’t include practicality, the white interior just felt way too bright for me

I went white exterior/black interior/base wheels on every Tesla I've boughten (3,Y and refreshed S) and couldn't be happier with the color combo and wheels.

I really liked the red and thought about going with it for the Y. I saw a Y that had a few miles on it and the front had a lot of paint chips from rocks on the front and the base coat was showing through. I realized if I bought the red, I want to use paint protection film (PPF) on it to avoid that so ordered the Y in white. Ended up putting PPF on it anyway but really liked the white and glad I have it on the 3 and S.

I thought a lot about the white interior. Many people said the white wasn't an issue but all too often I read enough about denim transfer to the white that I didn't want to chance. Glad I didn't go with it as the black has been super low maintenance. I also can't say I am blown away by the pleather they use too. There is basically a plastic coating on it. IF you go white, once that is breached it is game over. Black won't show anything as much.

As least on my S the seats are perforated and it feels better and I am not sweating at all in hot weather. The lack of either seat perforation or cooling is a big miss on the 3/Y and something I really regret every day the temps are 70 or above.

I went with aero wheels as the upgraded factory wheels are not exactly ones I'd choose in the first place. The aero are best for range anyway. So far I've bought aftermarket wheels for everyone and couldn't be happier. All the factory wheels are heavier and impact performance adversely in areas that matter to me.

Reactions: Oil Freedom