Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any guesses when MX 75D, 5 Seat, Coil...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the idea that they would get a sale in Q3 over Q4 - what is Q4 going to look like if the entire MX backlog i
Well. Why do you need falcon doors? To get to the 3rd row.

My theory is that the 5 seater/coil will be a more economical option redesigned w standard doors and possible a regular windshield. Bets anyone?

I wouldn't take that bet. Great theory and another "lever" that shouldn't be hard to pull. removing the FWD makes me think it might be given a different name for uniqueness. Either call it the Model Y (leg removed from an X) or maybe Model V (two legs remove from X shape). Gets them to using the name "Y" faster. Lot of stamping changes needed to do a new design, however, and if the order quantity isn't high or customers are not asking for it, it wouldn't make sense unless priced the same as the S designs. A 60 Model Y with regular doors would price nicely to compete with high-end Honda Pilot or other similar SUVs. More mainstream. To get sales, mainstream is key.

Not trying to be snippy Beth but my post was meant to convey my honest thoughts. I truly ask out loud "how many folks are left who won't take 'the deal' and what is TM gonna do with you hand full of people?"
I hope I'm wrong but think TM will try some tactic to appease you, which WILL NOT include building a 5 seater. Look at it economically. Why design, test, certify, build a few dozen (hundred possibly) vehicles if they can find other more profitable ways to deliver a more standard MX? Please don't shoot me, just either agree or disagree with my emotionless analysis

Reactions: bonaire
I equate the door conversation effort to a manufacturer releasing a convertible option vehicle. By the time the 5 seater is out a full model year will elapse. The cost reduction implication would benefit a new large class of people with access to the vehicle and keep the order pipeline full.

Hey. I'm surprised the 60D is out so soon. It makes me think they're attempting to reach more masses by being increasingly creative.

Reactions: beths11
Not trying to be snippy Beth but my post was meant to convey my honest thoughts. I truly ask out loud "how many folks are left who won't take 'the deal' and what is TM gonna do with you hand full of people?"
I hope I'm wrong but think TM will try some tactic to appease you, which WILL NOT include building a 5 seater. Look at it economically. Why design, test, certify, build a few dozen (hundred possibly) vehicles if they can find other more profitable ways to deliver a more standard MX? Please don't shoot me, just either agree or disagree with my emotionless analysis
I'm sorry if I called you snippy. I will say I have heard your analysis (really an opinion, like mine, as neither of us quote actually studies or market research) at least 6 or 7 times. I think you and I are firmly entrenched in our positions. You, in order to validate your decision to move from a 5 seat car to a 6/7, and me, to validate my decision to stick with a 5 seat. You don't believe Tesla sees a large market for an SUV in which all seats fold, I believe they realize they missed the boat not providing a seating configuration which is standard in the industry. Human nature, we will just have to wait and see.

Can we agree we have expressed our emotionless analysis(opinions) enough and have a gentle-persons bet, for bragging rights, come March of 2017? :)

Reactions: ModelX and ohmman
I just discovered this thread and joined... for you experts out there ---

My order for a 75 D 5 seat configuration with coils was confirmed on Dec 29, 2015. What is the best guess on VIN or delivery?

Thanks!
Mine is blue too! It's going to be a beauty!

Tesla X.jpeg

RCV[/QUOTE]

Well, it arrived during the rush delivery at the end of the quarter -- Sept 29th My DS said they delivered more in the month of September than the combined total in the past year. I changed from a 5-seat to 6-seat model in August.... no telling how long I would have waited for the originally ordered 5 seat version. I actually like the 6 seat version -- I hadn't seen any models when I placed the order in late December 2015. Best wishes, folks!

Reactions: ModelX
Got a response from DS, here are the optionst:
1) pay 1250 to upgrade to SAS
2) cancel with full refund of my deposit
3) put deposit towards MS coil suspension

I am pretty upset that I waited this long and now I am forced to upgrade it (at least its not the full price). I am going to see what they can do to make me happy. Will let you know the final result...

Got a response from DS, here are the optionst:
1) pay 1250 to upgrade to SAS
2) cancel with full refund of my deposit
3) put deposit towards MS coil suspension

I am pretty upset that I waited this long and now I am forced to upgrade it (at least its not the full price). I am going to see what they can do to make me happy. Will let you know the final result...
That's not cool. "Encouraging" people to upgrade was sad, but understandable. Now telling you "sorry, you can't have the car you committed to ordering months ago (and that we wouldn't let you out of without losing your deposit)" is kinda scummy. They should give you the SAS for free, or $1250 of credit towards other upgrades (without change fee, of course), or in the Tesla store.

Reactions: maratd and beths11
That's not cool. "Encouraging" people to upgrade was sad, but understandable. Now telling you "sorry, you can't have the car you committed to ordering months ago (and that we wouldn't let you out of without losing your deposit)" is kinda scummy. They should give you the SAS for free, or $1250 of credit towards other upgrades (without change fee, of course), or in the Tesla store.
I agree. Tesla deciding against offering coil in the X is fine. But they did offer it, and they need to make good on their commitment to those customers that went that direction. The offer they're making isn't completely unreasonable as it does include a discount on SAS, but I think it makes more sense to just grant it to those customers gratis.

It's not the most customer-friendly move, but I'm sure Tesla legal has carefully vetted the order agreement for liability purposes. The sentence at the end "You acknowledge that this Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract." is what probably gets them out of making the exact car you designed, but I'm not an attorney, so don't take this as legal advice of any sort.

For what it's worth, I had air on my 2013 Model S and again on my X, and I love the convenience and feature of raising and lowering the car. It came in handy many times on my S with steep driveways and high parking curbs, and it's been oppositely useful on the X to lower the car to make it easier for my elderly passengers to get in and out. I never had any mechanical issues with it on my S, but I only had it for 3 years. I'm sure those who are considering keeping their vehicles for forever have genuine reasons to be concerned.

It's not the most customer-friendly move, but I'm sure Tesla legal has carefully vetted the order agreement for liability purposes. The sentence at the end "You acknowledge that this Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract." is what probably gets them out of making the exact car you designed, but I'm not an attorney, so don't take this as legal advice of any sort.

For what it's worth, I had air on my 2013 Model S and again on my X, and I love the convenience and feature of raising and lowering the car. It came in handy many times on my S with steep driveways and high parking curbs, and it's been oppositely useful on the X to lower the car to make it easier for my elderly passengers to get in and out. I never had any mechanical issues with it on my S, but I only had it for 3 years. I'm sure those who are considering keeping their vehicles for forever have genuine reasons to be concerned.
What is Legal for them to do and what is the right thing to do, seem to be very different choices.

I have been waiting as I have a five seat ordered. If I had a six or seven seat with coils on order and missed out on having the car this summer as a result of Tesla's promises, I would be livid. Let's hope they don't do the same thing with the 5 seats or I will bust a gasket.

What is Legal for them to do and what is the right thing to do, seem to be very different choices.

I have been waiting as I have a five seat ordered. If I had a six or seven seat with coils on order and missed out on having the car this summer as a result of Tesla's promises, I would be livid. Let's hope they don't do the same thing with the 5 seats or I will bust a gasket.
They did the "right" thing when they upgraded reservation holders from 70D to 75D at no price difference. Seems like that's about the same retail price difference to "eat". And it sure seems like there are fewer coil orders than there are/were 70D orders.

I talked to Peter from inside sales and he had no compassion even after I gave him a mouthful. I have escalated this issue to his boss so he is going to reach out to me on Monday. I'm not expecting a different outcome. Most likely we'll upgrsde it and have it in time for cmas.
This just leaves a bad taste in my mouth...