Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any guesses when MX 75D, 5 Seat, Coil...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had ordered a 5 seater with coils in June before I knew how bad the wait would be, I need the car before the end of the year (We have our second child coming in January and I need a bigger car) so I just spoke with my DS and upgraded to a 6 seater with SAS to try and guarantee I could get the car before the new baby comes. I hope that Tesla can make it happen.

@Rafikki the song title is "another one bites the dust"
Many of us 5 seat orderers jumped ship to 6 or 7 seats. I did the jump on 6/9, received VIN within 24 hours and took delivery of my 6 seater 7/21, a 90D, no PUP, nothing exotic. The production line is fast enough that you should take delivery in about 6 weeks in AZ. It's all a matter of personal threshold for when you want car and what you are willing to pay to move the process faster than initially expected because the process has been slower than initially expected. The steadfast 5 seat crowd might get mad at you for leaping off the 5 seat train, but in the end, you will have a fantastic car sooner than they will. Worst case scenario.....keep the 3rd row seats permanently folded, which is ultimately what the 5 seat version will look like if TM does concede and make a few hundred to satisfy those who refuse to upgrade. Smart choice man, smart choice....

@jsollender thanks for the info, that makes me feel much better about my choice. Ultimately, it came down to what was the best decision for my family. Additionally, with the six seater, I can carry both of my kids and both of my parents (they're at my house all the time). I wonder if Tesla is going to do to the 5 seater what they ultimately did to the 40kwh Model S when they discontinued it due to "low demand" (how much of that low demand was created by Tesla pushing their customers to upgrade?).

@jsollender thanks for the info, that makes me feel much better about my choice. Ultimately, it came down to what was the best decision for my family. Additionally, with the six seater, I can carry both of my kids and both of my parents (they're at my house all the time). I wonder if Tesla is going to do to the 5 seater what they ultimately did to the 40kwh Model S when they discontinued it due to "low demand" (how much of that low demand was created by Tesla pushing their customers to upgrade?).
Hmm, a 7 seater with the 3rd row software locked down. Interesting concept ;)

...meaning the car is truly built with 7 seats, but HQ locked to 5 on the last row, which is upgradable to 7 by Amex/Visa/MC/Discover/Bank Transfer? Very interesting. Maybe someone from HQ happening across this solution in the forums will have a flash of brilliance to solve the dilemma for TM...

...meaning the car is truly built with 7 seats, but HQ locked to 5 on the last row, which is upgradable to 7 by Amex/Visa/MC/Discover/Bank Transfer? Very interesting. Maybe someone from HQ happening across this solution in the forums will have a flash of brilliance to solve the dilemma for TM...
This is totally NOT a solve. I want the seats out of there and it doesn't make sense for Tesla to take the time or material to put something in the car (which materially takes space) only to make it inoperable. As creative as the folks as Tesla are I am sure this option was floated long ago. I do believe there is a market for a 5 seater which folds. Many reservations were not turned into orders because Tesla failed to stay true to the prototype in which all passenger seats folded flat. As another poster pointed out, 5 seat demand has been reduced by Tesla "making deals" with those you had a 5 seat option ordered, but were willing to switch to get the car earlier. It is difficult to really know what the demand is until the 5 seat version is released.

Reactions: EVger
This is totally NOT a solve. I want the seats out of there and it doesn't make sense for Tesla to take the time or material to put something in the car (which materially takes space) only to make it inoperable. As creative as the folks as Tesla are I am sure this option was floated long ago. I do believe there is a market for a 5 seater which folds. Many reservations were not turned into orders because Tesla failed to stay true to the prototype in which all passenger seats folded flat. As another poster pointed out, 5 seat demand has been reduced by Tesla "making deals" with those you had a 5 seat option ordered, but were willing to switch to get the car earlier. It is difficult to really know what the demand is until the 5 seat version is released.
Oh, I agree, it's a terrible idea, I only mentioned it as a joke.

As for folding seats, it totally depends on what you're using the vehicle for. My X went into the service center today, and they gave me an Audi Q7 rental (I have 4 kids, and we wouldn't fit in an S). The rear seat legroom and in general access to the third row was absolutely awful compared to a Model X. I LOVE that I can keep car seats installed in the second row of my X, and still have access to the third row. But if instead you're looking for a "stuff" hauler, and not a kid hauler, the Model X really dissappoints without that folding second row.

Reactions: beths11
Before reveals, it was rumored that the third row seats were going to be optional. Now, they are required and seem to have removal of them becoming optional.

The best design would accommodate both. Third row seating should be customer removable if they need the extra utility room for transport of something. If the Model X is to be viewed as a true SUV, then it needs adaptable utility factors like removable 3rd row seating in order to transport a "beautiful credenza home from an antiquing trip" or "two newfoundland dogs home from a romp in the woods".

Reactions: EVger and beths11
I got a call from my DS yesterday informing me of a promotion to switch from the 5 seat model to 6 or 7 with 1/2 off of both the cost of the seats (originally $3K for 6-seat, $4k for 7 seat) and cost of the air suspension ($2500) -- i.e., $3750 to upgrade to 6 seat model.

I had looked at the 6 seat model 2 weeks ago at local showroom but worried that my labrador retriever (Bailey) would not be safe in the back cargo area on a sudden stop due to the absence of 3 middle seats. Bailey was the reason I didn't originally feel that I needed the 3rd row of seats (kids are grown). I took Bailey out to "test drive" the cargo area with the rear seats folded down -- he had plenty of room. I have a universal gate/barrier from an earlier vehicle which actually sits nicely behind the two middle seats while providing enough height to block the opening from the back cargo area to the open area between the second row seats. So, I upgraded.

I am told that I will hear by the end of the week where I will now be in the production queue, with an understanding that my X might be delivered by the end of September. The alternative would be the still uncertain "perhaps the end of 2016" target date.

I'm happy with this decision, not so much due to the earlier delivery as to the fact that I actually believe the 6-seat model is nice and I got it at a reduced price compared to what it would have cost when originally configured.

Ta da!

A design for utility would allow the third row to be customer removable. But if it is hard wired and merged with the frame for rigidity, then it must not be possible with this design. Some think 5-seat may never be made.

I got a call from my DS yesterday informing me of a promotion to switch from the 5 seat model to 6 or 7 with 1/2 off of both the cost of the seats (originally $3K for 6-seat, $4k for 7 seat) and cost of the air suspension ($2500) -- i.e., $3750 to upgrade to 6 seat model.

I had looked at the 6 seat model 2 weeks ago at local showroom but worried that my labrador retriever (Bailey) would not be safe in the back cargo area on a sudden stop due to the absence of 3 middle seats. Bailey was the reason I didn't originally feel that I needed the 3rd row of seats (kids are grown). I took Bailey out to "test drive" the cargo area with the rear seats folded down -- he had plenty of room. I have a universal gate/barrier from an earlier vehicle which actually sits nicely behind the two middle seats while providing enough height to block the opening from the back cargo area to the open area between the second row seats. So, I upgraded.

I am told that I will hear by the end of the week where I will now be in the production queue, with an understanding that my X might be delivered by the end of September. The alternative would be the still uncertain "perhaps the end of 2016" target date.

I'm happy with this decision, not so much due to the earlier delivery as to the fact that I actually believe the 6-seat model is nice and I got it at a reduced price compared to what it would have cost when originally configured.

Ta da!
We have a Great Dane and we put a dog blanket between the two second row seats and she fit just fine. We also put a dog blanket in the cargo area if she want to sit there.

Wow, cranking up the heat. Tesla really wants to gets some sales now rather than later (or never, if a 5 seat X becomes the new 40 kWh Model S).

Ta da!
When die you order your MX 5 seat? Is it a 60D, 75D or 90D?

Ta da!
I am ready to do the same but I didn't get a call. I just asked about the upgrade 2 weeks ago and I was told it was not available. Who should I contact?

I'm happy with this decision, not so much due to the earlier delivery as to the fact that I actually believe the 6-seat model is nice andda!

Shoulda kept this offer to yourself, it's gonna annoy people that are not getting the same offer.

Reactions: Scoopup