Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any idea when 100D (not P100D) might make debut?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't see someone "needing" an upgrade from 90D to say 100D for a regular car to get a touch more range for $20K. However, new-orders and fleet type orders (Uber) would want the 100kWh for longevity if they are working an Uber job or taxi service or simply driving crazy miles at crazy speeds. Crazy.

It depends on your mission. The extra 10-11% would make a big difference in the winter for some. Me, for example.

Seems like it will be. But Tesla has been really cagey about actually doing battery swaps. I hope they get more free with this in the future. For instance, what if I want to swap in a 90kWh pack into my 75kWh car that someone sold due to buying a 100kWh pack? I'd then want my 75kWh pack to go someplace: either I put it in a conversion kit to work as a time shift for my solar panels at home, or I send it back to Tesla for THEM to re-integrate those batteries into a time shift fixed battery storage product. I'd like to see much more liquidity in this type of activity. So far, it's been pretty damn lockstep. Part of the problem is that the fixed storage business is pretty young, and supply constrained, and the cars are supply constrained too. You'd think this would allow shifting used batteries to the supply-constrained marketplaces as long as someone is interested in buying a new upgrade, but it is SO supply constrained that Tesla doesn't even NEED to service these upgrades, since all they have to do is force you to trade up a whole new car or fixed storage, and just not worry about it AT ALL -- it's a seller's market right now.

It was mentioned recently by Elon or JB that they are not looking to repurpose used packs into different applications any longer but believe it is better to recycle the cells into raw materials (doctor knows best on this one - Tesla don't make these kinds of decisions without examining the bigger picture and the nitty gritty thoroughly). Therefore the real value for used Tesla batteries now and in the future is in the used market where tinkerer types utilise the modules for DIY Powerwalls, electric car conversions, etc.

So battery swapping is not a super compelling path to battery upgrades unless your car happens to be written off - turns out to be better to just trade a vehicle in for a newer one than to invest the sweat and labour into the manoeuvring, re-fitting, re-purposing, re-certifying and reselling that goes into the battery swapping process.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was mentioned recently by Elon or JB that they are not looking to repurpose used packs into different applications any longer but believe it is better to recycle the cells into raw materials (doctor knows best on this one - Tesla don't make these kinds of decisions without examining the bigger picture and the nitty gritty thoroughly). Therefore the real value for used Tesla batteries now and in the future is in the used market where tinkerer types utilise the modules for DIY Powerwalls, electric car conversions, etc.

So battery swapping is not a super compelling path to battery upgrades unless your car happens to be written off - turns out to be better to just trade a vehicle in for a newer one than to invest the sweat and labour into the manoeuvring, re-fitting, re-purposing, re-certifying and reselling that goes into the battery swapping process.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It may not make sense to Tesla. But I'd say it may well make sense to an owner. Why on earht would you recycle a perfectly good, mildly used 85 kwh pack, when it could be made available (with all appropriate warranty caveats) to a 60 owner for 5-6K? And if environmental cred means anything, reuse is always better than recycle.

Yeah given BEV manufacturing has a bigger environmental footprint than ICE (made up for by the lower lifetime usage footprint) and therefore a Tesla pack may have the biggest manufacturing footprint of the lot, shredding that pack just to replace it with something 11% better early on may well cancel out any environmental benefit of the car over ICE. I'd like to see the numbers on that...

Yeah given BEV manufacturing has a bigger environmental footprint than ICE (made up for by the lower lifetime usage footprint) and therefore a Tesla pack may have the biggest manufacturing footprint of the lot, shredding that pack just to replace it with something 11% better early on may well cancel out any environmental benefit of the car over ICE. I'd like to see the numbers on that...
Indeed. Though it may be frustrating for owners the truth is that battery swapping doesn't look like the viable path it once seemed to be.

Reactions: davidc18
If the range increase for 90D to 100D is comparable to the range increase of P90D to P100D, then the range would be over 340 miles.

From this comparison, I guess that it's likely that a new 100D will be $10K more than a 90D (if the 90D is even still offered).

I wonder if the 0-60 times on the 100D might improve to 4.0 seconds or less. In my case, at least, this would be a more compelling benefit than the extra range.

How surprising that you can't see the value of this.

If the range increase for 90D to 100D is comparable to the range increase of P90D to P100D, then the range would be over 340 miles. For those of us who actually travel in a Model S (I know you don't) that will be significant.

From the numbers tesla have provided, the numbers doesn't add up.

EPA P85D = 253 miles
EPA 85D = 270 miles

EPA P90D = 270 miles
EPA 90D = 294 miles

P100D = 315 miles
100D = ? maybe 342 miles by my estimation.

As you can see, 5KWh from the P85D to P90D gives you 17 EPA miles. So assuming linear (no really, it gets worst because the new battery is slightly heavier and other stuff), you should get 34 miles. 270 + 34 = 304 miles. My guess is it's really closer to 300 miles.

Now of course everyone knows the 85KWh is really a 81KWh and the 90KWh is really a 86KWh. Going on that assumption the 100KWh is really a 96KWh. If tesla really have made the 100KWh battery a real 100KWh battery, then I can see how it can get 315 miles or more. But right now, I think the 315 miles rang is tesla's own numbers.

Ultimately we will have to wait and see what EPA gives the P100D, but my bet is closer to low 300 miles instead of the 315 miles. This mean the 100D will be around 340 miles as expected.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Like others have already echo'ed I'm hanging on the hope that some day battery swapping will be available.
Just like any part of a car it should be replaceable. If anything breaks or is faulty they have to be able to replace it. It shouldnt be like ... Oh your battery is faulty / defective whatever...you need a new car. It should be oh, we'll replace your battery.

The rated range on my P90D at 100% was 262 miles about 5 months after it was new. About 8 miles less than the EPA stated range or about 3% less. That was the first time I charged that high. So if the EPA for the P100D is 315 and the real world numbers are in line with the P90D battery pack, then 97% of 315 would be.... about 306 miles.... a very nice number or aprox 44 more rated miles than my P90D.

It is nice to see Tesla adding this range to the S. It is NICER (for we existing owners) to see the SuperCharger network flushed out and growing into geographies that need them. Here in New England, for instance, the LEE Mass SuperCharger opens up western Mass and southern Vermont area. Especially in the Winter months when real range is sapped due to the cold.

Like others have already echo'ed I'm hanging on the hope that some day battery swapping will be available.
Just like any part of a car it should be replaceable. If anything breaks or is faulty they have to be able to replace it. It shouldnt be like ... Oh your battery is faulty / defective whatever...you need a new car. It should be oh, we'll replace your battery.
The battery can be replaced if it's defective. The discussion is more to do with replacing a perfectly good battery just because you want a bigger one - which is proving to be so costly its really not worthwhile (unless you drive a Roadster)

Fiddling around trying to guesstimate where the 100 (if it even exists) and 100D might end up in terms of price, 0-60, and range.

Extrapolating very roughly:
Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 4.24.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 4.24.22 PM.png

Looking at the product portfolio, I suspect the 90 will go away sooner rather than later

I am also waiting on the 100D. I have a couple of different 120 mile day trips that I occasionally make (with some running around at the destination). A 300 mile range lets me make those and return without having to stop at a supercharger. The 100D should let me do those and have a sufficient buffer.

Since I am in the CA Bay Area, severe winter weather is not on my menu but if it should occur then a stop would be needed but that is OK.

Like the early Signature cars, those owners taking early deliveries paid more than owners purchasing cars later.

While the P100DL costs more than a P90DL, it's not clear Tesla will end up charging a lot more for a 100D than a 90D.

And, they may decide to offer both a 90D and a 100D option for a while.

If Tesla decides to drop the 90, then they really will need to get the 100 pricing down to around today's 90 pricing, like what was done previously between the 85 and 90s.

Tesla has really done a pretty good job in keeping pricing down. When I ordered my P85 4 years ago, the price I paid then, is comparable to what a 90D costs today - with about the same performance and many new features (AP, TACC, power folding mirrors, parking sensors, ...). If Tesla ends up dropping the 90 - and only offering the 100 battery packs, if they also increase the price, they may meet market resistance...

Reactions: DIL
Fiddling around trying to guesstimate where the 100 (if it even exists) and 100D might end up in terms of price, 0-60, and range.

Extrapolating very roughly:
View attachment 196789 View attachment 196790

Looking at the product portfolio, I suspect the 90 will go away sooner rather than later

Interesting way to look at it. I'm going to suggest that you might be a bit off.

1. The 90D is motor limited, not battery limited. So unless they change the motors (unlikely I think) the 0-60 won't change from the 90D to 100D.

2. I think you'll see the 100D as being closer to the cost of a 90D. The non-P is more about volume and they can't keep pushing the price up indefinitely without losing buyers. They may offer a 85D/100D car, where the 85 is a software limited 100.

Reactions: DIL