Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any issues with leaving the Air suspension in Low setting ALL the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I have experienced not! I’ve been driving with the air suspension on low since I have the car (11/2018) and both my winter set (OEM 19” Slipstream) and my summer set (21” Breyton with 285 in the rear) show equal wear on the tires. To make it even better, although this is probably more related to my driving style, the wear on the tires is far less then expected. I’ve driven 30K kilometers on my 21” Breyton and still have 7mm of profile, so I expect a minimum of 60K kilometers on this set. Same was the case when I had my Audi A6, although I thought the Tesla would wear them out more. The 19” OEM with 25K also still look like new.

As far as I have experienced not! I’ve been driving with the air suspension on low since I have the car (11/2018) and both my winter set (OEM 19” Slipstream) and my summer set (21” Breyton with 285 in the rear) show equal wear on the tires. To make it even better, although this is probably more related to my driving style, the wear on the tires is far less then expected. I’ve driven 30K kilometers on my 21” Breyton and still have 7mm of profile, so I expect a minimum of 60K kilometers on this set. Same was the case when I had my Audi A6, although I thought the Tesla would wear them out more. The 19” OEM with 25K also still look like new.
Thanks! Changing the setting to low next time I drive!

Is there anything wrong with with leaving the Air suspension in Low setting ALL the time? I have the OEM 19 inch slipstreams.

there are only 2 issues: reduced ground clearance and increased tire wear; especially with 21"s which doesn't apply to you.
(well 3 if you complain about getting in and out of the car, but I don't think 1" lower makes a difference but some might say otherwise)

If neither of these apply then yes, why not use low setting all the time? It will get a little better efficiency and it is better on the powertrain. (drive shafts (axles) being more level and straighter into the jackshaft). * I have read that the model S has been raised in its various ride height settings over its first few years I assume for less risk of the undercarriage (battery) bottoming out on freeway expansion joints

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 7.31.30 AM.png

Mine is on low 100% of the time, I can see some increased inside rear tire wear; but it is minor enough to not worry about. That is the area from the edge of the tire to where the tread starts, not on the inside of the tread itself.

Unknown.jpeg

there are only 2 issues: reduced ground clearance and increased tire wear; especially with 21"s which doesn't apply to you.
(well 3 if you complain about getting in and out of the car, but I don't think 1" lower makes a difference but some might say otherwise)

If neither of these apply then yes, why not use low setting all the time? It will get a little better efficiency and it is better on the powertrain. (drive shafts (axles) being more level and straighter into the jackshaft). * I have read that the model S has been raised in its various ride height settings over its first few years I assume for less risk of the undercarriage (battery) bottoming out on freeway expansion joints

View attachment 536078

Mine is on low 100% of the time, I can see some increased inside rear tire wear; but it is minor enough to not worry about. That is the area from the edge of the tire to where the tread starts, not on the inside of the tread itself.

View attachment 536082
Thanks for the detailed feedback! I plan on installing the 20 inch Model X slipstreams next year - they will have 255/35 front and 295/30 rear - so hopefully that will also be fine in the Low setting all the time.

You will get inboard tire wear. I installed a kit from EV Tuning that they are no longer selling but had said they were going to come up with an alternative. I don't know if they have. I always run in low but without a camber adjustment cam/bolts you will wear rear tires very prematurely as the above poster (dark cloud) has shown...

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Thanks for the detailed feedback! I plan on installing the 20 inch Model X slipstreams next year - they will have 255/35 front and 295/30 rear - so hopefully that will also be fine in the Low setting all the time.

hmmm, you may run into the tire wear issue. It is not the size of the wheel that is the issue, it is the construction of the tire: the stiffness of the sidewall for the 21” tire. If you have a 30% profile it doesn’t matter if it is 20” or 21”, and that is even shorter than the 35% the 265/35/21 tire that the performance model S’s have.

But maybe your car has a lesser camber measurement ?(less than1.5 degrees on low )and you may be fine, as long as the toe in on the rear is in spec which is just as important.

can someone tell me if the newer model S’ have a camber adjustment? Or do they just change out the bolt if necessary?

If you're having tire wear issues you should consider getting adjustable control arms to stop it. I put on a set of adjustable camber and toe arms from N2itive Launches Rear Control Arms for Tesla Models S/X! and now my tires wear evenly. I was a really early adopter/tester. Their website has a great explanation about why the problem exists.

dark_cloud, the new Model S still has an eccentric bolt to adjust the rear toe which has a super minimal range and there is no adjustment on rear camber.

And, by the way, what's the point of constantly driving on low setting? o_O

so this is less likely to happen.

for strangers to see you drive by and go "that 1 inch lower looks cool". (I think)

Believe me, I could care less about the "low" look, or having the largest fattest wheel I can fit on my car. I took off 21"s solely to increase range and to reduce cost replacing tires. I can go plenty of fast enough on my 19's.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
And, by the way, what's the point of constantly driving on low setting? o_O
It’s a matter of personal preference for style/looks and minimal improvement in other areas (range, handling, blah blah). That’s why Eibach, H&R, etc. exist, to provide drivers with options to lower their cars. Not really a debate topic because there’s no right answer. Same thing for tires - ultra sticky and expensive Michelin PSS or budget 50K mile warranty Nankang. They’re just tires right? All up to what’s important for individuals.