Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any issues with valet parking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Has anybody had any (bad) issues with valet parking and your Model S? We picked up our CPO 2013 Model S 85 about two weeks ago and are hesitant to valet park it while going out on the town. (We are in and near Austin, TX, by the way.)

Thanks!

Martin

Hello,

Has anybody had any (bad) issues with valet parking and your Model S? We picked up our CPO 2013 Model S 85 about two weeks ago and are hesitant to valet park it while going out on the town. (We are in and near Austin, TX, by the way.)

Thanks!

Martin

Your mileage may vary. To that end, I live in Southern California, so the S is quite common. It seems like the Austin Tesla population is larger than others, so it really depends on the experience of the valets...

Reactions: mrod1975
I try to avoid valet parking if at all possible, though sometimes it's not.

A few years ago we went to a Saturday night fundraising event. One of the couples with us left about half an hour before we did. When we exited the front door, they were still waiting at the curb for the valet to deliver their car. Eventually the valet sheepishly admitted that they had clipped a column when backing up in the parking garage, causing minor damage. The damage was not minor: the entire front bumper cover was dangling, as well as the front grill module. The valet company, run by a well known local family, said no problem we'll cover the damage. By Monday their tune had changed; they told the car's owner to turn it in to their own insurance company! They finally got the valet company to reimburse, but had to get a lawyer involved.

A couple of weeks later one of my partners was checking in to a top tier Chicago hotel. A white jacketed "valet" took their car. The next time they saw their Lexus SUV a few days later, it had been stripped and all their Christmas presents stashed in the back had been stolen.

A couple of weeks after THAT my wife and I valet parked our white rental SUV at a restaurant in St. Barts. I jokingly asked the valet if he was a REAL valet! He gave me a piece of paper with a hand written number on it, so I knew he was legit! Anyway, things went fine, got our car back after dinner, drove home, then realized the next day that he had given us a different, yet identical white SUV!

Seriously, at most local establishments the valet takes your car and drives it 30 feet away to park it. I'd rather walk the 30 feet myself. Obviously, at some places the parking is more distant, but I'd still rather park myself.

• Love
Reactions: X Fan and mrod1975
I'm in Los Angeles. I bought my first Model S in 2013. Even then, almost every valet had driven a Tesla before. By now, I usually see multiple Teslas at various restaurants and events in LA. I turn on valet mode and I also have dash cams setup. I probably valet my car once a month or so and I've never had a problem.

But this is in LA, where on any given day I see a dozen Teslas.

In July, we went to a family birthday party at a restaurant that used valet parking. During the event, I had occasion to fetch something from the car, and asked for the key at the valet desk so I could open the car to get my item. I was told the car was unlocked. I walked over to the car, and indeed the door opened when I touched the handle. The driver’s window was open as well. Without thinking about it too much, I got the item and returned to the restaurant. Obviously, the key was in (or near) the car but I did not think to look for it.

At the end of the event, I went out to the parking lot, and happened to be standing nearby when the valet pulled my Model S out of its parking space, heading for the valet station. I heard a noise that sounded as if the car had run over something. After the car pulled away, I discovered the Tesla key fob on the ground. The fob itself was OK, but the attached key ring was bent. The valets’ practice was to place the car keys on top of a tire, explaining why the door opened earlier. In the rush to move out all the cars associated with our large group, the valet forgot to remove the Tesla key from the tire. Because it was a Tesla, he could get into the car and drive it away without touching the key and even without having the key in the car, so he did not realize his mistake. When I discovered the key damage, I was annoyed because driving over the fob could have damaged that, with a considerable replacement cost. (Or the car might have become undrivable.)

When I called the restaurant the next day to complain, they were polite and receptive but told me that the valets they used had worked for the restaurant for 10 years for more and had an excellent record. So, I left it at that, and was able to straighten the bent key rings.

My few other limited experiences with valets have been uneventful, but – people do make mistakes.

Yikes! You're a better person than I am, David. I'd have picked up my key and turned around. Let them panic when they can't find my key and have no idea why they lost it, then see how long they take to own up to their error before telling them where you found your key face to face.

Yikes! You're a better person than I am, David. I'd have picked up my key and turned around. Let them panic when they can't find my key and have no idea why they lost it, then see how long they take to own up to their error before telling them where you found your key face to face.
Well, at the moment, I had higher priorities to deal with. It was a hot day and I had to get my mother (who had just turned 100!) into the car and safely home.
I did call the next day. And as i said, the damage was minor. But I agree that there was potential for a less pleasant outcome if the electronic key had been damaged.

I usually keep auto-present handles turned off. The first time I had a valet park it, when it came time to retrieve the car, it was taking forever. Eventually he returned without the car and explained that he couldn't figure out how to get into the car; he never thought to touch the handle and didn't know a thing about the remote so he opened the trunk and frunk but not the doors. Pretty embarrassing!
My second experience a hotel valet backed into the hotel's charging cable when he went to charge the car - that left a big (about 10" long, 1/8" wide) ugly rubber mark on my hatchback. They left me to discover this, but quickly agreed to (and did) pay for a detail shop to remove the rubber mark ($40) plus waived the valet fee. I have a nice video from my dash cam of a thump sound as the valet backs into the cable and him pulling forward, then getting out and looking around the back with a flashlight (it was night) to check for damage - I guess he didn't notice the mark, so he tried to pretend nothing happened.

Needless to say I try to avoid valet parking.

Never had a bad valet experience, but I try to avoid them like the plague. I often ask if I can just park it myself and leave the guy the keys.

The worst valet thing that I saw was a driver trying to parallel park a minivan. All of a sudden I hear a crunching noise, I look and see that he rammed the rear tire into the curb, as he moved the car forward again, he tries to park again, and again hits the same tire against the same curb and again a crunching sound (he was trying to push the tire into the curb, as if thinking that giving it more gas would allow the car to work).

I had no idea where the owners were, nor did I know who to complain about someone else's car being damaged by an incompetent valet.