Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any P90DL owners got their 100 kWh battery upgrade yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

d.c.palmer

10 years of EV driving
Feb 17, 2017
Oxford, England
When the P100D was announced, Elon promised that:

"Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000..."

so I'm curious to hear whether any P90DL owners that are eligible, have actually managed to get this upgrade done?

I'm an eligible owner (ordered months before the announcement; took delivery about a week after the announcement). Before I received the car, i explicitly asked my D.S. about this and he confirmed I was eligible, but said the upgrade would take place "early in the New Year". Now, six months later, I'm still waiting. The latest news - from the Tesla Europe director himself - is that any upgrades (in the UK at least) won't be happening until at least Q3 2017 - that's nearly a year after I bought my car.

It's not as if the 100 kWh battery packs are in short supply: Tesla's now selling them in non-performance models. So why the delay? - or is it that they're stalling and don't really want us to have the new packs?

• Informative
Reactions: smac
So this is the new version of the P85D Ludicrous upgrade from a year ago. But at $10k rather than $5. Ahh Tesla.

I guess the P85D -> Ludicrous upgrade did also require a new battery pack, so this is similar - except that we would be getting a bigger battery pack. The thing is, Tesla had to offer us a deal, otherwise many of us would have cancelled our orders at the last minute (and forgone our $2000 deposits) so we could have placed a brand new order for the P100D.

What's bugging me is that, if we had all cancelled our P90DL orders (and immediately placed new, P100D orders), we'd probably all be driving around in P100Ds now, instead of still waiting with no word on the timeline. (And yes, I was placed on the waiting list on day one.)

maybe send a tweet to Elon and see what he says? haha..

Yes, ha ha, too... This is the same company that cancelled the Signature program in the UK (for the first Model S), leaving early adopters such as myself feeling very sore indeed. No explanation, no reasons for why it had kept our $45,000 deposits for 1-2 years - a really shoddy way of treating your high-value customers. That was back in 2014. Now here we are with a clear promise and a clear set of statements about timescale - followed by obfuscation and attempts to kick the whole thing into the long grass.

OK, enough whinging. The best way forward is probably if customers in a similar position keep up their pressure on the company - since that's the one thing that Tesla really does respond to: concerted pressure from all directions...

When the P100D was announced, Elon promised that:

"Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000..."

so I'm curious to hear whether any P90DL owners that are eligible, have actually managed to get this upgrade done?

I'm an eligible owner (ordered months before the announcement; took delivery about a week after the announcement). Before I received the car, i explicitly asked my D.S. about this and he confirmed I was eligible, but said the upgrade would take place "early in the New Year". Now, six months later, I'm still waiting. The latest news - from the Tesla Europe director himself - is that any upgrades (in the UK at least) won't be happening until at least Q3 2017 - that's nearly a year after I bought my car.

It's not as if the 100 kWh battery packs are in short supply: Tesla's now selling them in non-performance models. So why the delay? - or is it that they're stalling and don't really want us to have the new packs?

I am in the same shoes here in Budapest, Hungary! Here, we don't have yet a Tesla Service Center , therefore we belong either to Vienna or Graz , Austria. I have been in the Vienna service in last November and I was told that 100kwh upgrade would be available in Januray, but now, I was told that either it will be in June or even in September! I really do hope that either it will be June or September then, they would come out with new batteries, which would have the new cells in, the 2170 type and it would crank up the capacity to 120 or 130 kwh! Frankly, let's admit the fact that me and all other Tesla owners would like to drive on the highways, like any other cars and go alone with the traffic flow, which here in Hungary and as well in other European countires ( Germany is no speed limit) is around 130 km but the flow of the traffic is around 130-140 km. Now, if I drive that fast , am not even be able to go 300 km and in the winter it is even worst! I would like to drive my Tesla for 130,000 Euros at least the standard highway speed and at least 500 km! Am I asking a lot?

I think this is more an issue of getting what was promised...

...We're all prepared to be flexible and cut Tesla some slack - and we waited patiently whilst Tesla started to ramp up production of the 100 kWh power packs. However, if Tesla can start supplying these to 100D customers, then presumably the batteries are no longer in short supply....

Hence, those of us who paid a substantial premium (for our "Ludicrous" enabled "Performance" models) really ought to be getting our upgrades. At least, if Tesla cares about customer loyalty.

Have you taken delivery of the 90D, yet? if not, you might be able to negotiate to take delivery of a 100D instead for the price difference. Should only be $3000 difference. I would find it hard to believe that Tesla would ever offer the 90kWh to 100kWh battery swap for the same $3000.

This thread is discussing post delivery 90 to 100 pack upgrades. Last year when the 100's were announced, Tesla offered an upgrade price to those that had 90s produced but not yet delivered, likely as a way to discourage people from walking away from their car and re-ordering a 100.

This thread is discussing post delivery 90 to 100 pack upgrades. Last year when the 100's were announced, Tesla offered an upgrade price to those that had 90s produced but not yet delivered, likely as a way to discourage people from walking away from their car and re-ordering a 100.

Agree totally - this feels more and more like a bait and switch.

I am one of the summer 2016 P90DLs still waiting for the upgrade to P100DL. Confirmed my order on 24 July 2016, wanted the upgrade as soon as it was available after the 23 August announcement, and took delivery of the P90DL in September 2016 on the understanding that it could be upgraded within a few months, most likely 1Q2017. Still waiting for the upgrade or even a timeline to an upgrade.

Has anyone worldwide had the upgrade yet, even a single car? That might give owners like me some leverage because right now Tesla UK is stonewalling.

I feel like this is not going to happen.
It was a move to prevent you from cancelling the order.
If you were to cancel your order, you'd be able to get P100DL and AP2, for a small price bump. And they would have an outdated P90DL with AP1, and they would need to discount it heavily in order to sell it.

With Tesla, don't believe anything that is promised for future. Like Battery upgrades or AP2 parity.
They often want to save the day and hope that you'd forget to chase the issue.
For example, my new car had series of issues, they advised me to take the delivery and promised to fix the issues asap. But I knew that it would take months to fix them. I experienced the same thing with my previous 2 Teslas. So I rejected the delivery. It took 2 months for them to get back to me. We're in the 3th month, and I haven't been offered a proper solution yet.

Reactions: sorka and smac
Has anyone worldwide had the upgrade yet, even a single car? That might give owners like me some leverage because right now Tesla UK is stonewalling.

I'm in the same boat. Took delivery on 2 September from Tesla West Drayton. Was repeatedly promised that I would be eligible for the $10,000 upgrade as soon as it was available - "probably early in the New Year, January or February". I was also told the upgrade would include the redesigned seats.

I would be surprised if Tesla tried to walk away from this promise, however. I rather suspect they'll try and get us to buy brand new cars with some kind of special trade in. I think we need to resist this and insist that we only pay the $10,000 price that was promised.

(Aside: for European owners of the P90DL, I have heard some discussion as to whether we were supposed to pay the $10,000 or $20,000 price. We ordered our cars before the 100 announcement, and received them afterwards - but unlike our North American friends, our cars had already been built and were in transit.)