Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any P90DL owners got their 100 kWh battery upgrade yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bhzmark: these are good points - thanks.

Re. the gigafactory - is this not set up to manufacture the newer, 2170 batteries? I believe the 100 kWh packs use the older, 18650, form factor - presumably still manufactured by Panasonic in Japan.

Until recently, I had assumed that the delay in providing the upgrade in providing the battery retrofit was simply lack of supply (of the more-difficult-to-manufacture 100 kWh packs). However, given that this battery pack is now available for non-performance cars, one assumes that there must be reasonably-good supply.

I rather suspect that Tesla doesn't want to worry about the logistics and hassle of offering the swap, preferring to concentrate on Model 3. However, that's not good for general customer service (or customer retention in the longer term).

@bhzmark: these are good points. However, isn't the gigafactory producing the 2170 form factor, whilst the 18650 form factor (used in the 100 kWh power pack) still coming from Panasonic in Japan?

I'd have thought that the 100 kWh pack supply must be pretty good - otherwise why would Tesla be discontinuing the 90 kWh packs and letting customers buy non-performance 100D cars?

Got a reply from them again basically saying:

"the 100kWh battery packs are not compatible with Model S vehicles with classic front fascias. Because of this, VINs with classic fascias are ineligible to receive the P100D upgrade."

The facelifted owners seems to still be in luck for now... but from what I have read, I'm not sure there is that much differences between a facelifted and a non facelift Model S in terms of how the battery packs are installed to make them not compatible... seems like they are just going the easy route so they have to deal with the least number of owners who might want to upgrade their cars...

"the 100kWh battery packs are not compatible with Model S vehicles with classic front fascias. Because of this, VINs with classic fascias are ineligible to receive the P100D upgrade."

The facelifted owners seems to still be in luck for now... but from what I have read, I'm not sure there is that much differences between a facelifted and a non facelift Model S in terms of how the battery packs are installed to make them not compatible... seems like they are just going the easy route so they have to deal with the least number of owners who might want to upgrade their cars...

Thanks for the info.

That does not explain why a Modem X delivered in late 2016 would have been ineligible as Tesla told an owner.

I'm still waiting for the upgrade.

I live in the UK and every time I ask Tesla, the date just keeps on being pushed back.

I want the upgrade not so much for the performance improvement, but the way more comfortable seats and 315 mile range.

Can any tell me what realistically the P100D range is?

When i charge my P90D to 100% it shows just over 255 miles but i can get around 220 - 235 miles if I drive conservatively.

Thanks all!!

I want the upgrade not so much for the performance improvement, but the way more comfortable seats and 315 mile range.

I can't answer the range question - but I'm sure other owners will be able to advise.

Regarding the seats, I was told, my my D.S., that the upgrade would include the new seats - but other people I've talked to have denied this, so I'm not really sure. It doesn't bother me too much, because I actually rather like the snug fit of the "Next Gen" seats: these are the racing-inspired Recaro design - which some people love and others hate. It took me a while to get used to them, but they really improve the perceived handling. I think the newer seats are a little less grippy: more armchair, less racing seat. I'm sure this is going to be a very personal thing.

I can't answer the range question - but I'm sure other owners will be able to advise.

Regarding the seats, I was told, my my D.S., that the upgrade would include the new seats - but other people I've talked to have denied this, so I'm not really sure. It doesn't bother me too much, because I actually rather like the snug fit of the "Next Gen" seats: these are the racing-inspired Recaro design - which some people love and others hate. It took me a while to get used to them, but they really improve the perceived handling. I think the newer seats are a little less grippy: more armchair, less racing seat. I'm sure this is going to be a very personal thing.

I have been told by Tesla the seats change too. The premium seats are much softer. Though I agree, it comes to personal choice.

I am by no means condoning anything. I too wanted to upgrade my pre-facelift P90DL to the 100kWh battery.
That said, to answer your question... just very shortly before the facelift came out, Tesla had switched over to a new generation battery in the 90's, which required a new wiring harness, among other things. This was presumably in preparation for the 100's. So, you can't just drop a V2 or V3 90kWh (or a 100kWh) battery in a car that came with the V1 90kWh battery. BUT, you *can* drop a 100kWh battery in a car that came with the V2 or V3 90kWh battery, because they have the upgraded harness and whatnot.

Reactions: d.c.palmer
I am by no means condoning anything. I too wanted to upgrade my pre-facelift P90DL to the 100kWh battery.
That said, to answer your question... just very shortly before the facelift came out, Tesla had switched over to a new generation battery in the 90's, which required a new wiring harness, among other things. This was presumably in preparation for the 100's. So, you can't just drop a V2 or V3 90kWh (or a 100kWh) battery in a car that came with the V1 90kWh battery. BUT, you *can* drop a 100kWh battery in a car that came with the V2 or V3 90kWh battery, because they have the upgraded harness and whatnot.

I don't believe this is true. Didn't @Walta go from a V1 to a V3 battery on a pre-facelift car?

I don't believe this is true. Didn't @Walta go from a V1 to a V3 battery on a pre-facelift car?
Hi @St Charles , Tesla had mentioned the upgraded wiring harness at some point (apologies for not being able to find reference to it at the moment). My service center confirmed this with me when I asked about it. Also, Jason Hughes (wk057) had found there to be a difference in the connection between the battery pack and the car (again, apologies for not being able to link the post at the moment).

We (err, I) don't know exactly when Tesla started using the upgraded components (wiring harness, etc?) to support the new batteries. It is possible (not sure of probability) that some pre-facelift V1 cars came with the upgraded components; we simply just don't know the timing. What we are sure of is that by the time the facelift cars were in production, they were using the V2/V3 batteries.

That said, it most definitely *can* be done; no question about it. There are those that have made the modification. Tesla just may not want to hassle with more than just a battery swap.

Thanks @AnxietyRanger !

Here's the info I was referring to from that link: "However, the pack has the newer ring around the high-voltage connector. ... it would require a different spacer ring on the high voltage connector. ... The six screws on the orange HV connector can be removed to replace the ring with one compatible with older Model S."

I'm not sure if Jason Hughes (wk057) has since got his hands on a P100D car, to examine the difference on that end as well, but the battery breakdown is an interesting read!

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Thanks @AnxietyRanger !

Here's the info I was referring to from that link: "However, the pack has the newer ring around the high-voltage connector. ... it would require a different spacer ring on the high voltage connector. ... The six screws on the orange HV connector can be removed to replace the ring with one compatible with older Model S."

I'm not sure if Jason Hughes (wk057) has since got his hands on a P100D car, to examine the difference on that end as well, but the battery breakdown is an interesting read!

This post specifically states that the 100kWh packs are compatible with older cars. The replacement spacer and ring is a part that Tesla makes and stocks at SCs. Tesla simply doesn't want to and seems to make a habit of saying it's not possible to people who ask. @Waltas car is pre-facelift and originally shipped with a V1 pack which was later upgraded by Tesla to a V3 pack.

This post specifically states that the 100kWh packs are compatible with older cars. The replacement spacer and ring is a part that Tesla makes and stocks at SCs. Tesla simply doesn't want to and seems to make a habit of saying it's not possible to people who ask. @Waltas car is pre-facelift and originally shipped with a V1 pack which was later upgraded by Tesla to a V3 pack.
Another quote from Jason's article: "... is compatible with older cars (physically) ...".
Jason notes that the newer pack could physically be inserted into an older car by changing the high voltage connecting ring. He states specifically that this is a physical compatibility. His article was a battery pack comparison. Software aside, we've been told that there are harness changes to accommodate the new battery pack design. Presumably to handle the higher amperage delivery to the motors. Unfortunately, I can't confirm nor deny this, as I haven't had the opportunity to have an 8/2015 P90DL side-by-side with an 8/2016 P90DL/P100DL to compare harnesses and such. I'm just sharing the information that I've received, which seems objectively sound.

Another quote from Jason's article: "... is compatible with older cars (physically) ...".
Jason notes that the newer pack could physically be inserted into an older car by changing the high voltage connecting ring. He states specifically that this is a physical compatibility. His article was a battery pack comparison. Software aside, we've been told that there are harness changes to accommodate the new battery pack design. Presumably to handle the higher amperage delivery to the motors. Unfortunately, I can't confirm nor deny this, as I haven't had the opportunity to have an 8/2015 P90DL side-by-side with an 8/2016 P90DL/P100DL to compare harnesses and such. I'm just sharing the information that I've received, which seems objectively sound.

A v1 to v3 upgrade has been done on a pre-refresh 2015 car, by Tesla, on an owners car on this forum.

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

That said, it most definitely *can* be done; no question about it.

A v1 to v3 upgrade has been done on a pre-refresh 2015 car, by Tesla, on an owners car on this forum.

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits
I never said it couldn't be done. On the contrary, I said it most definitely could be done. I'm just saying that we've been told that it's more than just a battery swap. Unless we were there to watch, we really don't know what all Tesla had to do to get a V3 battery into Walta's car. We know that they had issues with the first V3 pack they tried putting in. I believe Walta only has Insane Mode now, but I'm not sure; that's just what his tagline states.

Again, please keep in mind that, I'm not saying Tesla shouldn't honor their word. I'd be one of the first in line to get the battery upgrade if they kept their word. And their word is still on their website for all to see. I'm just answering the question someone asked about why the facelift cars would be easily eligible versus the pre-facelift cars.

I never said it couldn't be done. On the contrary, I said it most definitely could be done. I'm just saying that we've been told that it's more than just a battery swap. Unless we were there to watch, we really don't know what all Tesla had to do to get a V3 battery into Walta's car. We know that they had issues with the first V3 pack they tried putting in. I believe Walta only has Insane Mode now, but I'm not sure; that's just what his tagline states.

Again, please keep in mind that, I'm not saying Tesla shouldn't honor their word. I'd be one of the first in line to get the battery upgrade if they kept their word. And their word is still on their website for all to see. I'm just answering the question someone asked about why the facelift cars would be easily eligible versus the pre-facelift cars.
Here is the parts list related to the Tesla service of changing my V1 battery on my 2015 October P90DL to a V3 battery.

The number preceding the part number is the QTY.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

SCR,M4-0.7x12,PH,TRX,SST,PATCH 6 (1042040-00-A)

TOP RING,HV RAPIDMATE,HVBAT 1 (1041311-00-C)

SEAL,HDR,HV RAPID,MDLS (1036815-00-B) 1

ASY,HV BATTERY,90L,SX (1088792-00-A) 1

COVER,SKI,SIDE,FRONT,BATT ENCLOS 2 (1032384-00-C)

COVER,SKI,SIDE,MID,BATT ENCLOS 2 (1032385-00-C)

COVER,SKI,SIDE,REAR,BATT ENCLOS 2 (1032386-00-C)

CLIP,PUSH-PULL,7.0 HOLE,20.0 OD,11.5L 27 (1037218-00-B)

Got a reply to my email on this...

Our vehicle accessories team will be reaching out to eligible customers in the coming months to confirm interest and take down a deposit for battery packs. After that we’ll work to schedule all customers with their preferred service center.

I can confirm that you are on the eligibility list, so we’ll be reaching out directly via phone/email in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, let us know if you have any other questions.