Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

any recommendations for reliable air inflator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
which version do you have RTC2000 or RTC4000?
I went all in with a RTC6000. Ring are currently offering it for £73. It sits happily in the frunk with the cables, torque wrench, adjustable breaker bar, triangle/first aid ( the red bag), a kneeling pad, hand towel and gloves all topped off with several bags for life.
The rear corner bins have the rubber inserts with carpeted lids, housing on one side, Holt's Foam, Leatherman Tool, an awl and the locking wheel nut key.

Too much information🙄.

Reactions: RajG
I have this one from Rocky Creek. It's for a motorcycle (I have one of those as well) so it's tiny but it's powerful enough for a car. I also use an adapter from Amazon to plug it in. The pump, adapter, pliers and tyre plug kit all fit into a very small bag that can go pretty much anywhere in the car.

Out of curiosity is the 12V AA Inflator suitable? (I've got a Tesla-original, which has gunge-tube etc.)

£14 from Amazon
I noticed the other day that the Holt's foam has a use by date. There is probably a reasonable safety factor. However, if yours dates back to your first S, you might want to replace it. The Rangers may be busy the day you need them/ it.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
It's rather nice not having to run out the cable with the cigar plug.

Yup, I've gathered that feeling from the various replies. I'd be worried that the battery would be flat when, in a couple or more years time, I first needed it for a slow puncture on a journey ... my 12V one (which is pretty robust) "takes a while" for a tyre down to 10PSI (around 5 minutes to inflate it back to 40 PSI) ... and last time I had a nail-in-tyre puncture that only gave me about 10 minutes driving before it needed doing again. But ... that said ... there was no problem stopping multiple times as I wasn't reliant on a rechargeable battery for my power source.

For "at home" top up I'd prefer something that didn't need to trail from cigarette lighter, and would do the job quickly.

However, if yours dates back to your first S, you might want to replace it

Yeah, it looks manky and "fairly solid". I carry, separately, a couple of Inflation Gunge Canisters in each of our cars (and a Plug-kit, although I've never had to use that and dunno if I would succeed, with wheel-on, if and when I had to. But if Mr AA/RAC Man had nothing with him, he could borrow mine :)

Reactions: Wattsisname
I went all in with a RTC6000. Ring are currently offering it for £73. It sits happily in the frunk with the cables, torque wrench, adjustable breaker bar, triangle/first aid ( the red bag), a kneeling pad, hand towel and gloves all topped off with several bags for life.
The rear corner bins have the rubber inserts with carpeted lids, housing on one side, Holt's Foam, Leatherman Tool, an awl and the locking wheel nut key.

Too much information🙄.

That is actually very helpful information. Now I know next time I get a puncture, don't bother calling roadside assistance, I'll just call you :cool:

Think I might go with this one . I don’t need anything fancy . In this age of work from home all I need is a device that could handle occasional top ups.
Thank you all for your valuable contributions 🙏

I will say its not the quickest though. Think it took me about 20 minutes give or take to do all 4. I was doing other stuff at the same time so it didn't bother me.

I will say its not the quickest though. Think it took me about 20 minutes give or take to do all 4. I was doing other stuff at the same time so it didn't bother me.

I remember pulling up to supercharge once and a couple of people opposite were huddled around a car inflating a tyre with electric pump.

When I finished, they were still inflating the tyre and I remember thinking that they probably had not noticed a big hole in it somewhere and it was a rather futile effort.

But having read this, maybe it was just a slow pump.

in that case I will have to fork out a bit more and get the cordless equivalent of rtc 1000 as I was quite happy with it, until the tripping issues began. Choice is either rtc 6000 or may be the cheaper rtc 4000.
I am impressed with the 6000 and although not small, the design makes it easy to use. It also holds a decent charge.
Whichever you choose, cordless is the way to go particularly if you have the 16volt battery.

Reactions: RajG and Js1977
I like the cordless, but I'd like to see one that also has a 12V(/16V) bypass option. I'm pretty sure the day I'll get a flat, the battery of my inflator will have mysteriously gone flat too, and instead of having to wait a couple hours for it to recharge on the side of the road, having the option to get it working instantly if connected to the car 12V could help...

Reactions: WannabeOwner