Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any recommends for a Tesla holiday maximum 5 hours from Melbourne?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joninmelbourne

Solid Black S60 new face
Jun 29, 2016
Melbourne
My wife and I have 4 days off together coming up. We are looking for a trip family friendly short break maximum 5 hours from Melbourne and doable in a Tesla, so near charging! Happy to camp or hotel it. Any ideas?! Many thanks!

My wife and I have 4 days off together coming up. We are looking for a trip family friendly short break maximum 5 hours from Melbourne and doable in a Tesla, so near charging! Happy to camp or hotel it. Any ideas?! Many thanks!
Have you looked at the map of destination chargers on the tesla site?
There should be plenty of options. I can recommend the airbnb near port Albert.

I'll put a plug in for my home town of Portland. Destination chargers at the Richmond Henty Hotel. Beaches, Discovery Bay Sand Dunes, Fishing, Water Skiing, Tram ride (Restored Melbourne Cable Tram - 1 hour ride visiting local land marks). Bush walks, Picnicing, working Harbour up close. Scenec drive and walks, Shelley beach, Bridgewater beach, Wind Towers, etc.... Its about 360 km from Richmond Supercharger to Portland.

I can do it on a single full charge in my P85D. There is 3ph 32amp at Colac (half way) if required. When Ballarat SC is up, I will be using that when I go to Melbourne in future.

Last edited:
I'll put a plug in for my home town of Portland. Destination chargers at the Richmond Henty Hotel. Beaches, Discovery Bay Sand Dunes, Fishing, Water Skiing, Tram ride (Restored Melbourne Cable Tram - 1 hour ride visiting local land marks). Bush walks, Picnicing, working Harbour up close. Scenec drive and walks, Shelley beach, Bridgewater beach, Wind Towers, etc.... Its about 360 km from Richmond Supercharger to Portland.

I can do it on a single full charge in my P85D. There is 3ph 32amp at Colac (half way) if required. When Ballarat SC is up, I will be using that when I go to Melbourne in future.
G'day Brewster, As a matter of interest, where/whose is the 3ph charger in Colac ? Rgds.

G'day Brewster, As a matter of interest, where/whose is the 3ph charger in Colac ? Rgds.

Hi @wpapua, Plugshare - I have used a few times - Ralph is a very friendly and helpful guy. I usually only get about $5 worth (he has a meter).
Thanks again @RichardMcN for setting up.

upload_2017-1-5_6-30-31.png

I would vote for Portland ! !
It's amazing how much there is there.

I can vouch for Portland, we visited recently for a couple of nights and was a great spot. Nice beaches, plenty to explore. And with the Ballarat supercharger imminent, an easy trip from Melb.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, will do a trip report when we do it! Some of the AirbNb ones looks good. Seems one couple on AirBnB make you a bbq on arrive and make you barista coffee everyday! Along with having a Tesla charger.