Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any update to the guts of the touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Long time lurker, newbie poster here. I've been eying a MS for some time now, but felt that the guts behind the touchscreen were getting old and possibly be upgraded with new iterations of the MS and MX for that matter; but haven't heard anything about it. Does anyone know if A) there has been an update (hardware spec wise) and B) if there is any on going plan it do so? I know a couple of posters have shared that their experiences with the touchscreen have been upsetting due to UI placement and also speed.

As with every CPU based device I think it's reasonable to consider a 2-3 year window for upgrading the MCU... at least for power users. I've started budgeting :D

Otherwise, the good news is the car continues being a car... with enough power to power the electric powered car, and even help drive it, and it even has a browser that can load the news, weather, and Waze incidents. And that's it ;)

As with every CPU based device I think it's reasonable to consider a 2-3 year window for upgrading the MCU... at least for power users. I've started budgeting :D
You can plan for 2-3, but the Model S has been out for 4, and they haven't made any change worth replacing it for... so it seems YOU might plan for 2-3, but Tesla is planning more than 4, how much more we don't know, but we know it's more than 4...

Actually, if Tesla want, they can easily swap the CPU/GPU to most current one, The MCU and Dashboard are using NVIDIA VCM
modules, MCU is using Tegra 3, and Dashboard is Tegra 2. They both can be upgraded separately in theory:
Top left is the VCM module of Tegra 3:
model s mb.jpeg

And the standalone VCM module of Tegra 3:
nvidia t3 close.jpeg

This is Tegra 2 VCM:
dashboard tegra.jpeg

I'm no EE ... are these pictures intended to show us that the CPUs (or GPUs) on a daughterboard or otherwise easily removable, and replaceable? And are the newest Tegras compatible with the -2 and -3?
Yes, they share same module design(ports, slots) like a USB.

From what I see on NVIDIA's website, K1 with VCM module is accessible since 2014. Which should gives 2x raw performance bump.
A little bit surprised that Tesla didn't upgrade it even with Model X.

Visual_Computing_Module__VCM__from_NVIDIA_Tegra___NVIDIA.jpg

Aside from the browser being slow (which may not be hardware limited), the current touchscreen/dash seem to be meeting the needs. There's not really much incentive for them to change it right now.

Pure speculation, but maybe we'll see some changes after the Model 3 comes out and people like/dislike what happens with that interior.

IMO, it isn't the HW that's lacking with the screen. It's the SW. They can get a LOT more out of it if they would put more resources on it. I don't have any issues with performance aside from the browser, which it terrible. That's all SW.

I respectfully disagree. There's a lot to be said for hardware acceleration of page renders/canvas drawing in the browser, and if they're not able to take advantage of that because of the hardware they're using, that would go a long way toward explaining the abysmal browser performance when the rest of the interface is at least passable. It's also true that the browser is old old old WebKit, and who knows if it's something they can just optimize, but it definitely has that "this is SW rendered and that's why it sucks" feel, and that might be something at the top end of the current system's capability.

Please note that I would love to be wrong about this and it would be amazing if 8.0 optimized either software OR turned on HW rendering for the browser!