Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any US CCS updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in BC and just put a deposit down on a Tesla Model Y due for delivery in April. I've had a Chevy Bolt for the last 3.5 years but it was just totalled. I'm really starting to second guess my choice of going Tesla. The Supercharger network in BC is abismal, there isn't even one in Victoria for crying out loud. The BC Hydro level 3 stations are everywhere. I can't believe there isn't an affordable adapter already for CCS. This is mind boggling.
You and the OP could always buy Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter if that's enough to help fill in the gaps.

Not really much new here - it was already 'out there' that most older Model S/X wouldn't support this new adapter.

I open up the Shop tab at tesla.com every morning, leave it open and refresh frequently throughout the day, waiting for the CCS adapter for NA to get added.....!

• Funny
Reactions: colea and alexcue
I wish the standard had become something a bit less clunky. Not sure why the CCS plug has to be so massive when Tesla's proprietary standard is so slim.
The higher-level answer is that CCS was developed by a committee of people from organizations who did not want EVs (ICE manufacturers) and hated Tesla (although they didn't take Tesla very seriously).
In addition to the clunky design, the committee delayed ratification of the standard until after Tesla started delivering the Model S to customers. I believe (not confirmed) that the original CCS was also limited to 50 kW charging speed and it wasn't until Tesla started clobbering Porsche in the market that the standard was changed to allow 300 KW so Porsche could claim superiority.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
The higher-level conspiracy theory answer is that CCS was developed by a committee of people from organizations who did not want EVs (ICE manufacturers) and hated Tesla (although they didn't take Tesla very seriously).
In addition to the clunky design, the committee delayed ratification of the standard until after Tesla started delivering the Model S to customers. I believe (not confirmed) that the original CCS was also limited to 50 kW charging speed and it wasn't until Tesla started clobbering Porsche in the market that the standard was changed to allow 300 KW so Porsche could claim superiority.

Fixed that for you.

The real answer is that the J1772 plug (by itself, without the CCS pins) was designed to handle up to 50 KW DC fast charging, and was nearly as "small and sexy" as the proprietary Tesla plug. When they decided that 50 KW wasn't going to be "future prof" they added the large diameter DC pins (much larger than the pins in the Tesla connector OR the J1772 connector) to the bottom of the connector (now called the CCS connector) and abandoned the idea of using the original small diameter charging pins for DC fast charging. The Chevy Bolt had faster than 50 KW charging from start of production, and a "modern" CCS equipped car that charges at less than 125 KW is considered "off the pace" with the majority charging at 150 KW or more. Several CCS equipped cars now exceed the 250 KW that V3 superchargers are capable of. Across the Atlantic, the EU said "F off with your proprietary plug" and Tesla said "yes boss" and nobody comes up with these off the wall conspiracy theories about how this was a plot to destroy Tesla in Europe do they? If so, post up a link... I need a good laugh.

Keith