Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any US CCS updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen anything so I assume not but thought I'd ask. DOes anyone know whether Tesla is going to start shipping US cars with a CCS adapter, or otherwise provide CCS support? I know you can buy a $750 knockoff CCS adapter that may or may not work but I'm surprised Tesla hasn't started supporting this officially since CCS is the emerging standard.

I haven't seen anything so I assume not but thought I'd ask. DOes anyone know whether Tesla is going to start shipping US cars with a CCS adapter, or otherwise provide CCS support? I know you can buy a $750 knockoff CCS adapter that may or may not work but I'm surprised Tesla hasn't started supporting this officially since CCS is the emerging standard.
Elon preparing relocate people on Mars and he doesn't have time on a small issues like Customer Service or CCS. 🤣

They're really doing something in two weeks? Or a new development is always two weeks away?
No, certainly not. That's been an ongoing joke for a long time, where Musk has said some things were coming in "two weeks" that just never happened.
And there are already several threads that have been going for dozens of pages talking about potential CCS adapters, so if there were any news, it would have been posted there immediately. There's nothing known yet of any official adapter.

Has anyone had experience with the Lectron CCS Charger adapter for Tesla allowing access to fast CCS DC charging stations and costing $550?

Lectron rebadges the SETEC adapter, you can find lots of experiences in this thread:

Tesla has been including CCS hardware in cars since some point in 2020. They are probably waiting a year or so pass before they release an adapter that only supports those newer cars.

Lectron rebadges the SETEC adapter, you can find lots of experiences in this thread:

Tesla has been including CCS hardware in cars since some point in 2020. They are probably waiting a year or so pass before they release an adapter that only supports those newer cars.
Thanks. Good to know.

I live in BC and just put a deposit down on a Tesla Model Y due for delivery in April. I've had a Chevy Bolt for the last 3.5 years but it was just totalled. I'm really starting to second guess my choice of going Tesla. The Supercharger network in BC is abismal, there isn't even one in Victoria for crying out loud. The BC Hydro level 3 stations are everywhere. I can't believe there isn't an affordable adapter already for CCS. This is mind boggling.

I live in BC and just put a deposit down on a Tesla Model Y due for delivery in April. I've had a Chevy Bolt for the last 3.5 years but it was just totalled. I'm really starting to second guess my choice of going Tesla. The Supercharger network in BC is abismal, there isn't even one in Victoria for crying out loud. The BC Hydro level 3 stations are everywhere. I can't believe there isn't an affordable adapter already for CCS. This is mind boggling.

@geesahn FYI there is an urban supercharger in Victoria: Find Us | Tesla

But yes, the lower mainland for sure is a bit sparse considering the number of Teslas in the GVA. Bear in mind that between now and Q2 next year (dates can and do slip), we should see new Superchargers in: Richmond, Delta, North Surrey, South Surrey. I might be forgetting one or two? EDIT: I forgot Burnaby, West Vancouver, and Chilliwack. Here's a great list of those plus others in BC and AB: Western Canada Superchargers

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I wish the standard had become something a bit less clunky. Not sure why the CCS plug has to be so massive when Tesla's proprietary standard is so slim.
Because Tesla's proprietary standard shares the AC and DC pins by first negotiating and using some sort of mux that goes either to the OBC or directly to the battery, while CCS uses separate physical pins for each function?

Are you guessing or is that actually the case?
That's actually the case.

J1772 has 3 large pins (2 for AC charging, and 1 for ground) and 2 smaller pins for signaling (proximity pilot & control pilot). The CCS1 connector adds 2 large pins underneath for DC fast charging. The Tesla connector has 3 pins near the bottom for ground, proximity pilot, and control pilot, and 2 large pins near the top that are shared for both AC and DC fast charging, with a multiplexer inside the vehicle.

EMW_plugs_.jpg

The difference between CCS1 and Tesla is literally that the very large bottom 2 pins and the top 2 pins in CCS1, are rolled into just 2 pins, and this can be done because J1772/CCS1 never uses both its bottom 2 and top 2 pins at the same time.

The J3068 (aka Mennekes/Type 2) connector has 7 pins instead of J1772's 5 (and the CCS2 connector has 9 pins instead of 7). It has the proximity and control pilot pins at the very top, one neutral pin, and 4 AC charging pins instead of 2. The reason is that it's designed to allow 3Φ charging so instead of just using split phase or single phase (voltage between two pins), it uses 3 voltages 120 degrees out of phase referenced to a single neutral, on suitably equipped EVSEs and vehicles.