Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any US CCS updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We received the CCS adapter from Korea today, and I quickly took a look and put it to the test:

Electrically, it is straight through. No resistance. This is just a dumb mechanical adapter. Which of course is very smart!
It's build solid and heavy, just like Tesla's J1772 adapter. The latch pin feels very strong, I think it's machined steel. Great design.
It does nothing with an older chargeport. Plugging in an AC charger, it negotiates, but will not charge of course because Tesla didn't include AC pins. Missed opportunity I think to start including this stead of the 1772 adapter!
Will be testing with a 2021 3 next week.

We REALLY need to start begging Tesla to offer chargeport ECU upgrades. The part is already available for $150 and easily installed, but service needs to update the car's configuration.

Here's a quick look!

We received the CCS adapter from Korea today, and I quickly took a look and put it to the test:

Electrically, it is straight through. No resistance. This is just a dumb mechanical adapter. Which of course is very smart!
It's build solid and heavy, just like Tesla's J1772 adapter. The latch pin feels very strong, I think it's machined steel. Great design.
It does nothing with an older chargeport. Plugging in an AC charger, it negotiates, but will not charge of course because Tesla didn't include AC pins. Missed opportunity I think to start including this stead of the 1772 adapter!

We REALLY need to start begging Tesla to offer chargeport ECU upgrades. The part is already available for $150 and easily installed, but service needs to update the car's configuration.

Here's a quick look!

I've used my J1772 adapter quite a lot - I don't think I'd like to use this instead for that purpose.

Thanks for the information and video! I'm definitely on the list of people highly anticipating this thing's availability.

How do we know if we need to updated chargeport ECU? Is the LED location a good indicator?

Why not? It would remove the need to buy those rings that go around the J1772 adapter to lock the charging handle to the adapter when the adapter is locked to the car.

That's a good point, but the J1772 adapter is nice and compact. I've never owned a locking ring for it and it's never been a problem for me. I guess that's a bigger issue in denser populations?

Here's a quick look!

Good video review, thanks. Not that I'd be using this adapter very much but I wonder over time if the weight of the cable and connector would damage the charge port - since the CCS adapter, like the Tesla Mobile charger and Supercharger, don't really insert very far into the port.....

Good video review, thanks. Not that I'd be using this adapter very much but I wonder over time if the weight of the cable and connector would damage the charge port - since the CCS adapter, like the Tesla Mobile charger and Supercharger, don't really insert very far into the port.....

I had this same concern and people said the CHAdeMO adapter didn't seem to cause problems. It's much bigger and heavier.

That's a good point, but the J1772 adapter is nice and compact. I've never owned a locking ring for it and it's never been a problem for me. I guess that's a bigger issue in denser populations?
They could design a smaller J1772 adapter, based on the design of the CCS, with the same locking pin. I rarely ever use the locking ring (ordered it a while ago but haven't used it except to test it) because I rarely ever charge at J1772 stations and even when I do, it's not something I'm too concerned about. However, I do plan to use it when I park my car at the airport next month.

They could design a smaller J1772 adapter, based on the design of the CCS, with the same locking pin. I rarely ever use the locking ring (ordered it a while ago but haven't used it except to test it) because I rarely ever charge at J1772 stations and even when I do, it's not something I'm too concerned about. However, I do plan to use it when I park my car at the airport next month.

That could be helpful.

I used it quite a lot during the past year as I was away from home for about six months and had to snag a charge whenever I could. Often times that was a parking garage free charger or such.

How hard is it to order this from Korea? I'm getting impatient with Tesla (heh, what else is new?).

Any new test results as well?

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung