Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to PREVENT forgetting your phone inside the Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

webdevguy

Jun 14, 2024
us
My very first post!

From time to time my friend forgets his phone in his car. And he uses his phone as the key.

He has set a PIN for driving.

But, still, is there a way for a Tesla (Model Y to be specific) to remind you to take your phone when it detects you left it and are getting out of the car? If not that would be a great feature.

Ideas/suggestions welcomed! Thanks!

Reactions: mtiede and Gigga
Solution
In the beginning I used the app. "Phone Buddy" which alerted me on my Apple Watch when I left my phone.
Now I have a loud enough "close vehicle" sound which doesn't sound when I leave the phone.
My very first post!

From time to time my friend forgets his phone in his car. And he uses his phone as the key.

But, still, is there a way for a Tesla (Model Y to be specific) to remind you to take your phone when it detects you left it and are getting out of the car? If not that would be a great feature.

No, There is no setting for the car to remind you to take your phone.

Upvote 0
I think the best thing to do... is stop using the phone as much as possible. Try to minimize "needing" to use the phone in the car. Then leave it somewhere attached, or practically attached, to you. Like a pocket, phone holster/clip or purse... assuming you never forget the purse.

For myself, I have a Samsung Zflip3. I bought that because it can fold into such a small form to fit in my pocket. Let me admit ahead of time, I have forgotten my phone in the car a handful of times (could probably actually count the times with the fingers on one hand). That said, because I usually leave my phone in my pocket, I have to struggle and go out of my way to pull my phone out to use it in the car. And if I don't pull it out of my pocket, then there's no way I can forget it.

I don't use my phone for music, that's on a USB drive.

I don't use waze or any other navigation on the phone, the car's navigation is more than enough for me.

With Bluetooth, I can make/receive phone calls and pass messaging through the car. Though messaging is a bit awkward. Still working on it.

I don't surf the web or do any other media (for times when you're sitting around waiting for something) on my phone, that's what my iPad is for. As big as the biggest phones out there (even the zFold series), I find an iPad is just plan easier on my eyes. While my iPad does have the Tesla app installed, I didn't enable phone key on it. So, even if I leave the iPad, it won't make a difference when it comes to accessing/driving the Tesla.

I do use my phone to order food (usually when at a stop light), while I'm on my way there. In-between stop lights or once I'm done, I keep it in my hand BECAUSE I don't have a mount for it. Yes, I steer with one hand... consider my other car is a stick shift, it ain't that different. Because I'm usually already at work (I do deliveries), I try as much as possible to order while I'm in-between deliveries and not in the car. After that meal at the beginning of my shift, I no longer need to pull out my phone for the rest of the evening of deliveries.

Upvote 0
No, There is no setting for the car to remind you to take your phone.
I guess. The other option is not using the phone key so it flags you to use the keycard.

Not having gotten too used to the thing yet I turn to watch it fold the mirrors and flash before I leave if I am using the phone key. I haven't done it yet but it would sure give the clue that the phone was still inside!

Upvote 0
Once me and the wife walked away from the car with both our phones on charge....the beep of the door locking is now something we tuned our ears into listening for (especially the wife who is more paranoid about it and often won’t walk far enough away from the car for the doors to lock until she’s heard the beep)
Perhaps one of those new sounds like a goat bleat would be more distinctive

Reactions: rwjr44 and fholbert
Upvote 0
On a couple of occasions when I have left the phone on the charging pad, I eventually get a notification from the app that the car is unlocked. This is not a solution as it takes some time (IIRC about 10 minutes), but at least it's not forever.
The app on the phone (in the car) notified you?

My very first post!

When you walk away listen for the beep when the alarm turns on. It quickly becomes second nature.

Upvote 0
My very first post!

This happened to me until I got a bright phone case. Easy to see, didn’t forget after that.

Upvote 0
In the beginning I used the app. "Phone Buddy" which alerted me on my Apple Watch when I left my phone.
Now I have a loud enough "close vehicle" sound which doesn't sound when I leave the phone.
Easy to forget, for so many reasons.

I have my door-lock alarm set on the "goat" sound. Unmistakable and always makes me smile, and passersby are amused, as well.
Unfortunately for me, I prefer my car to keep silent when it locks/unlocks. I’ve done it for my previous to cars also.

It’s to avoid annoying my neighbors unnecessarily, even if I’m rather un-neighborly and don’t talk to any of them. On one side, is a nicer old man I don’t want to bother, especially when I get home at night. On the other side is a family, which I don’t want to give an excuse for them to “interact” with me.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
My very first post!

Presumably your friend is charging his phone on the wireless phone pad? My solution is simply not to use the pad and keep my phone in my pocket, as I have forgotten also occasionally when I did. The phone pad doesn't charge that quickly anyways.

I agree with others that if you must charge the phone while driving, get a phone mount. When I use my phone on my phone mount, I don't forget it because it's right in my line of sight.

As for the lock chime suggestion, I find it is not loud enough to be relied on. I still need to turn my head to verify the mirrors are folded, but sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I neglect to do that.

Upvote 0
I’ve got a 2020 MS which doesn’t have the phone key functionality, but I can unlock and start the car using the Tesla app. Sometimes when I forget my key in the house and am in a hurry, I just use the app to go.

In that situation, if I leave my phone in the car, it locks and I’m screwed. That happened once, and while I was standing outside the car trying to think of how to get ahold of my wife to drive my key to me, I realized I had my wireless earbuds in my pocket and had setup a shortcut to unlock the car.

“Hay Siri, unlock the car” (the shortcut prompt is actually something else)

And it worked!

Upvote 0
I’ve got a 2020 MS which doesn’t have the phone key functionality, but I can unlock and start the car using the Tesla app. Sometimes when I forget my key in the house and am in a hurry, I just use the app to go.

In that situation, if I leave my phone in the car, it locks and I’m screwed. That happened once, and while I was standing outside the car trying to think of how to get ahold of my wife to drive my key to me, I realized I had my wireless earbuds in my pocket and had setup a shortcut to unlock the car.

“Hay Siri, unlock the car” (the shortcut prompt is actually something else)

And it worked!
Is iPhone able to have Siri recognize the car api? How exactly did you set that up? Can it be done on a Samsung S10 with Bixby?

Upvote 0
The app on the phone (in the car) notified you?

When you walk away listen for the beep when the alarm turns on. It quickly becomes second nature.
I find my beep to be quite antisocial so I turned it off. I don't need to make an announcement every time I park up.

Beeping in the garage is particularly egregious with the door open. I don't imagine it's much better with the door closed, as far as the neighbours are concerned.

Upvote 0