Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to reinstate SLEEP once awakened with the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I'm on vacation, made the "mistake" of checking the state of my car while away a few days ago. Since doing so the car hasn't gone back to sleep as noted by a)immediate connection when I check it on the app and 2)significantly faster "vampire drain" ever since checking (around 10 miles range per day lost).

I've closed the app from the background on all of my iDevices. I'm not using Visible Tesla.

Any thoughts? Why wouldn't it just go back to sleep after a period of time as it normally would after driving? :confused:

Sounds like a bug. I'd report it to ownership@. Only thing I can think of is to try turning on/off climate control, perhaps try a lock/unlock cycle... something that involves making the car do something... if no one else can help you by opening/closing a door or something.

Interesting. I'm at a business meeting for 3 days and the hotel didn't have anywhere for me to plug in. Not really worried because the car had 86% SOC when I parked it two days ago. I also checked it after 1 day with Visible Tesa and when I went back to look today I didn't get the "Sleeping" notice and it connected right away. I'm now down to 84% and have lost about 10 miles. I didn't leave VT running, so am curious about this too. Usually, the car goes to sleep after a very short time parked. Often even after running into a coffee shop for a quick take-out the car will be asleep when I come back.

Mine does go back to sleep after waking it up with the App, but it's not consistent. I don't have any good reason other than that the times I wish it would stay awake it goes to sleep and vice versa.

So, an interesting follow up...
Hunter, from St.Louis Service, called me to follow up on another issue I brought up here on the forum a week or so ago (the issue of voice recognition not working), he'd come across my post and decided to call to see if it was resolved (awesome!). While I had him I asked about this issue. It turns out, he likely had accessed the car just a few minutes before I did so he could check my firmware version and says that the log showed that it had, indeed, been asleep. So I may have just caught it before it went back to sleep after his check on the vehicle.

I'll keep an eye on it and report back if the issue does seem to continue.

So, an interesting follow up...
Hunter, from St.Louis Service, called me to follow up on another issue I brought up here on the forum a week or so ago (the issue of voice recognition not working), he'd come across my post and decided to call to see if it was resolved (awesome!). While I had him I asked about this issue. It turns out, he likely had accessed the car just a few minutes before I did so he could check my firmware version and says that the log showed that it had, indeed, been asleep. So I may have just caught it before it went back to sleep after his check on the vehicle.

I'll keep an eye on it and report back if the issue does seem to continue.

Your car will wake up from time to time to top up the charge on its 12V battery. If you happen to check at exactly one of those times, you would see the car was awake. That doesn't mean that it didn't sleep in-between your checks.

Last edited:
Follow up... Checked today and, indeed, it had to awaken from sleep. Must assume the times I checked were just quirks. All is well....

I have monitored my car's sleeping schedule for 3 weeks while I was on vacation. Well, my code monitored my car while I went to DisneyWorld ;-)

What I saw was a very regular cycle of 9 hours of sleep, followed by 3 hours awake. This repeated without fail for 21 days. The car was plugged in and was not charging. The car did not download any firmware updates. I believe that the time awake is my car trickle charging it's 12V battery but I cannot prove that for sure until I get a 12V logger to record the voltage while the car is both asleep and awake.

However, the situation on my car might not normal as I am getting higher vampire drain numbers than other see. The car goes in or annual service tomorrow so I will report back on their findings.

Your car will wake up from time to time to top up the charge on its 12V battery. If you happen to check at exactly one of those times, you would see the car was awake. That doesn't mean that it didn't sleep in-between your checks.
Random observation. My car fell asleep at a supercharger within 5 minutes of "Charge complete". It woke me up by going to sleep (as I was napping at the time and the climate control turned off).