Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely. According to the relevant blogs, many skipped the macOS called Catalina and stayed with predecessor Mojave. Now that successor Big Sur is out, Catalina is not a suggested update at all and many folks are still staying with Mojave. On iOS, same thing. iOS14 has caused a lot of battery issues many would prefer to avoid so don’t update to v14. Only rarely does an updated OS yield useful features but a lot of rearranging the deck chairs instead for all the coolness features like memojies. People trying to do work skip the crap and update either when forced or for a needed feature.

Not true. You would be in the minority.

"iOS 14 Now Installed on 81% of iPhones From the Last Four Years. Apple today finally updated its iOS adoption numbers, giving us our first look at official iOS 14 adoption rates. According to Apple's data, ‌iOS 14‌ is installed on 81 percent of iPhones that were introduced in the last four years.Dec 16, 2020"

Serious question. You guys hating the UI much, do you have this level of fervor when Apple changes iOS every year or Andorid gets changed?

I have nothing against change - I expect and welcome it. But when they get it wrong are we supposed to still say, "great job" and pretend the changes are actual improvement? I think it is incumbent to share feedback. From the overwhelming comments that are critical of the updates here, I would say they did not get it right this time. Hopefully, they take the feedback and make improvements/changes in the near future.

The more i use the new UI, the more I see everyone's point but I don't hate it that much. That being said, the whitespace and smaller map make not a lot of sense. I think the thinking here is that having a smaller map puts more emphasis on whats going on with the car.

The new UI needs improvement and that the beauty of Tesla. They'll either fix it or give you the choice to modify it.

(as an aside, the wipers still stink. A small flurry of snow shouldn't make the wipers come on out nuke speed)

I'm still looking for the odometer. Looked all over the interface, tried some verbal commands, searched the manual, no luck. I did not use the exact words mentioned "show odometer." Will give it a try.

Also, it won't connect to my wifi. It seems to shift between LTE and wifi. It seems to connect, then gives this message is 'Unable to obtain IP address. Please check DHCP server settings.'

Reactions: MrWattson
I'm still looking for the odometer. Looked all over the interface, tried some verbal commands, searched the manual, no luck. I did not use the exact words mentioned "show odometer." Will give it a try.

Also, it won't connect to my wifi. It seems to shift between LTE and wifi. It seems to connect, then gives this message is 'Unable to obtain IP address. Please check DHCP server settings.'
I tried "show odometer" with no luck. It showed how many miles driven since last charge (I believe) which said zero, not accurate. This is 2020.48.30. Any help appreciated. I think whoever changed the interface forgot to include the odometer!

Reactions: Transformer
Funny you mentioned the odometer. I just went out this morning with the intention to rename a trip odometer as "Lifetime - Don't Reset " , as others recommended. I cannot find the odometer either!

I also had trouble connecting for the latest update earlier this week. Same errors about being unable to obtain IP address though my wifi signal was strong. It eventually connected after a couple days of trying.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I don't imagine it should have changed since the update, but the odometer was always at the very bottom of the Trip card (you have to swipe down through various sections the "since start", "since last charge", "trip a" and "trip b", then you should see odo).

Serious question. You guys hating the UI much, do you have this level of fervor when Apple changes iOS every year or Andorid gets changed?

I accept every Tesla software update as they become available, and never once wished for an "undo" -- until 2020.48.26. To answer your question, I've been a Mac owner since 1984 and an iPhone owner since 2007 (both introductory years) and I take every OS upgrade as soon as they're released. Honestly, I never regretted an update, but in fairness, Apple never put out something that decreased functionality while focusing on farting noises, so there's that...

As someone who has been driving nothing but Teslas since early 2012 I want to say that this unfortunate GUI “update” is the first update that I regret receiving. The big, beautiful maps, already diminished in size from the S now are needlessly tiny while valuable real estate is given over to huge and unnecessary avatars and blank space. The real flaws in the system, many existing from the very beginning, have still not been corrected— way too much space given to what you can already see out the front windshield, dime sized buttons that you are supposed to hit safely at freeway speeds (the voice control did help but is still incomplete), too tiny fonts etc.

A serious GUI update in my opinion would fix the non performing and therefore dangerous lane change warning system and flip the whole avatar display so that you can see what is behind you. Another priority should be to complete the voice control system. For instance, I would like to be able to turn off the air conditioning system compressor without turning off the whole system.

On the positive side, I do like the addition of the one button rear view camera access.

Still the best cars in the world but time to ditch the computer game and fart mentality and format the interface for fun and serious driving.

Not to mention the passenger has to type with his / her left hand .- at freeway speeds !

So many things have been overlooked for farts & fun ...

However unlike you ; lesson learned ; I’ll prefer a real car manufacturer next time . This update nailed the coffin .

Not a fan of the new update either. Lots of wasted space and the important icons (Speed being too small, the battery icon - I mean grey?? what was that developer thinking?? and the gears icon) are less visible.
Its also about time you could flip between distance and battery percentage by just touching the number next to the battery icon rather than always having to go through the display menu....

I'm sure some of the feedback will be taken on board :)

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
I'm sure some of the feedback will be taken on board
Good luck. I've been asking that the S/X manual correctly explain how the voice commands work for a year. I'm not holding my breath for Tesla to fix their manual to conform to the software (or SW to manual) in 2021. Maybe the NHTSA (U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) can figure it out.

• Love
Reactions: Transformer
I also have the message 'unable to obtain IP address.' Wifi (extender) gives a strong signal. It tries to connect and seems like it is then gives me that message. Did you keep pressing the "retry" button? I did that for a while but no go.
I've had few problems before this update (2020.48.30).

A lot of this is deeply personal and subjective. Some of the complaints are straight-up garbage.

I like the new UI. It's cleaner and more functional.

I hope they ignore the inane complainers (...DDDddurrrrrr... white space) that want to clutter things up so they can spend more time fiddling around instead of focusing on driving. Are they so bored with doing stuff with their phone so they need even more be distractions while driving their car? o_O

I like how the car looks on the UI. That's it. I hate all the colorless white, personally.

A lot of this is deeply personal and subjective. Some of the complaints are straight-up garbage.

I hope they ignore the inane complainers (...DDDddurrrrrr... white space) that want to clutter things up so they can spend more time fiddling around instead of focusing on driving. Are they so bored with doing stuff with their phone so they need even more be distractions while driving their car? o_O

That is an odd and misleading way to characterize the issues people are raising. The issues do not relate to seeking recreational distractions on the Tesla display, but controlling the basic functions of the car while driving. Also, the extra white space is a source of the clutter, as necessary controls are reduced in size and squashed together.

The only thing straight up garbage is this post.

I commuted (40 miles one way) for the first time on my UI this morning. My opinion hasn't changed.

Putting aside that the map is smaller...it's still big, and works, but I really miss the old size thanks. The rest of it is straight up terrible. It's much harder to read your speed. Next to impossible to see energy bar at a glance. The visualization while driving adds precisely ZERO to your ability to drive the car. It's harder to read the battery at a glance. Harder to see the PRND display at a glance.

Overall, it's not optimized for driving the car. It's clearly optimized for you to sit there and make sure the car is seeing things while under FSD. And I can see that could be somewhat useful in that if you're coming up on an overtaking vehicle, you want to make sure that the car sees it. If you're on full FSD. If you're just on AS / TACC / NOA, much less useful. And you still have to monitor the basics of the vehicle while driving. 99% of us don't have the FSD Beta. And I'd wager that quite a few of us won't be getting it. So please, Tesla, get us the view switcher ASAP, and make this view only available when you're in FSD.

Even in an FSD context this new UI makes no sense
Would we be expected to "look" at the fsd display and stop the car if we see something ridiculous ?

The freaking car will N*E*V*E*R see the difference between a child in the middle of the road, and a lifesize picture of a child sticked on the back of a truck. It can't tell the difference between bikes carried by the car in front of you, and actual bikes on the road.
Same for speeds limits, you can trick a Tesla by just holding a cardboard stop sign on top of your head.
The thing is - and will remain - a stupid as can be, as it is run by machine learning NOT by artificial intelligence. FSD is a marketing joke.