Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Text, displayed on the screen should not look grayed out, I noticed that in Text Messaging, all of the text displayed is grayed out, Who does that!! Make this UI awesome, as expressed in this thread. Elon, you have enough money to hire smart people. Get on it.
I'm a Model Y owner, I love the car. I hate the current Grayed out UI, small fonts, small icons, words can't express my dislike. Shame on your User Interface Team. Someone needs to get fired.

The new UI is not good imo. Feels like the whole update was rushed just to say they got a "holiday update" out. Love that Elon is always tweeting or responding to tweets. It gives us all incredible insight into some of things going one or in development. But sometimes the tweets come back to burn him. I'm sure he regrets the holiday update will be fire fire tweet, hopefully get the full realized version of soon.

I'm just going to pile onto the thread, because this update is bad. There's only one (1) thing I've seen that can be considered an improvement and that is the easy camera button. The rest is a cluster, and I'm shocked they would make such drastic changes. For the first time, I found myself looking if I was still in Chill mode because it's moved to the bottom.
I mean, I figured it out quickly and can see all the gauges I need, but I'm a tech guy and have been driving a Tesla for a couple years.
My friend said "my mom would never be able to drive this car", his point being that older folks have a hard enough time poking around menus trying to find what they need. Rearranging things makes it even worse.
Still love my car, but jeez.

I see a lot of you complaining about the look of the UI, and I have mixed feelings about that as well, but I haven't seen any complaints about stability. I've had to reboot it FOUR times in under a week (usually it is once or twice a month or even less). Once it froze entirely and the other times it started randomly opening things, selecting new audio and selecting new map destinations. Anyone else having similar stability issues?

I see a lot of you complaining about the look of the UI, and I have mixed feelings about that as well, but I haven't seen any complaints about stability. I've had to reboot it FOUR times in under a week (usually it is once or twice a month or even less). Once it froze entirely and the other times it started randomly opening things, selecting new audio and selecting new map destinations. Anyone else having similar stability issues?

You make a good point. I've had good luck with stability in general, but one of the reasons I always install updates is because I'm hoping for things like autopilot improvements and stability. I think I may have fewer phantom breaking episodes with this version. Small sample size so far though, and as always results vary.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Moving the wipers to the bottom control line was a good helpful thing. I still wished they could fix the actual wiper functionality. Too many times when I press for a simple wash do the wipers go full speed and don't settle for at least a minute. You only need a couple a swipes then one about 15 seconds later... Too often in light misty rain they go flat out instead of an occasional swipe.

Another item to be improved for a quick easy win is the to toggle the battery % or distance by a simply pressing the number beside the small battery icon- And make the battery icon green again!!!!

Reactions: bay74 and MrWattson
There's one change in the new UI that really infuriates me that I haven't seen mentioned (but I've just skimmed through the pages, so I might have missed it) and that is the new positioning of the parking brake indicator. In order to activate the parking brake, you have to keep your finger pressed down on the park button on the end of the right hand stalk until the parking brake light comes on ....except that the light is now behind the hand that is pressing down the stalk! Brilliant!

There's one change in the new UI that really infuriates me that I haven't seen mentioned (but I've just skimmed through the pages, so I might have missed it) and that is the new positioning of the parking brake indicator. In order to activate the parking brake, you have to keep your finger pressed down on the park button on the end of the right hand stalk until the parking brake light comes on ....except that the light is now behind the hand that is pressing down the stalk! Brilliant!

It's not just the parking brake indicator (which I actually never use...) but it's all the warning icons. They used to be at the top of the screen. Now they are in a vertical column along the left edge of the screen. If you are driving down the road and an alarm sounds and an emergency indicator displays, they are hidden behind the steering wheel and your right hand. This is not a good position for warning lights to be displayed.

Moving the wipers to the bottom control line was a good helpful thing. I still wished they could fix the actual wiper functionality. Too many times when I press for a simple wash do the wipers go full speed and don't settle for at least a minute. You only need a couple a swipes then one about 15 seconds later... Too often in light misty rain they go flat out instead of an occasional swipe.

Another item to be improved for a quick easy win is the to toggle the battery % or distance by a simply pressing the number beside the small battery icon- And make the battery icon green again!!!!
While i agree with you that this change is ok it could have been achieved much better by moving the odometer and tire pressure cards up a bit so they didn't cover those buttons when they slide into view. Then we would have still had the 3 buttons - Voice, Charge and Camera AND kept the nice LARGE wipers button Visible at all times.

Meh... I just push down on the park button until i "hear" it engage. Then release and make sure the "red" parking light is illuminated.

I had the same issue with freezing/reboots which seem to be fixed. Also, my car wouldn't connect to my wifi sometimes without a hard reboot. That seems to be fixed as well. It would just stop connecting to wifi after a few days. Even when going in the car and manually selecting my wifi network, it would spin at connecting. The only way to get it to reconnect was a hard reboot.

• Informative
Reactions: TangoDiva
Has anyone worked out how to mute the parking obstacle tones since the update? There used to be a speaker icon beside the car to do this.

I've been trying to figure that out as well, no luck so far. I used it every time I backed out of the garage.

Other than that, I really don't mind the new display. I had the chance to get used to it with a ~20-hour, two-day drive from Fla. to NY over the weekend.

Everything about this UI update sucks but more importantly, it marginally reduces safety in the Model 3.

Information you want to look at now requires more effort to see and/or process:
1. the current speed (now too small for no apparent benefit or reason)
2. the energy consumption/regen line (now 1 pixel tall and brutally difficult to see the 'regen not available dots' even with 20/20 vision)
3. all the warning/status indicators along the side hidden behind the steering wheel and/or your hand while on the wheel
3. the battery level indicator (slightly tougher to read)
4. right turn signal (now abandoned way out in right field to the point that I've missed it a few times and "re-signaled")

The FSD preview graphics are now even more distracting because they are so cool (even though they managed to screw up both the car and wheel colours for those of us with blue Model 3s and Aero Wheel Cap Kits...strange that they couldn't pull the correct colours from the old Tesla 'T' section now in Controls>Software).

All of the above takes your attention off the road and redirects more of it onto the screen. This is a step in the wrong direction and only marginally acceptable in a 100% autonomous car (then we would only complain about how awkwardly asymmetrical it now looks with the information scattered haphazardly around the screen).

Hopefully Tesla fixes this soon and we are not handcuffed to this absolutely terrible end of 2020 UI update.

Everything about this UI update sucks but more importantly, it marginally reduces safety in the Model 3.

Information you want to look at now requires more effort to see and/or process:
1. the current speed (now too small for no apparent benefit or reason)
2. the energy consumption/regen line (now 1 pixel tall and brutally difficult to see the 'regen not available dots' even with 20/20 vision)
3. all the warning/status indicators along the side hidden behind the steering wheel and/or your hand while on the wheel
3. the battery level indicator (slightly tougher to read)
4. right turn signal (now abandoned way out in right field to the point that I've missed it a few times and "re-signaled")

The FSD preview graphics are now even more distracting because they are so cool (even though they managed to screw up both the car and wheel colours for those of us with blue Model 3s and Aero Wheel Cap Kits...strange that they couldn't pull the correct colours from the old Tesla 'T' section now in Controls>Software).

All of the above takes your attention off the road and redirects more of it onto the screen. This is a step in the wrong direction and only marginally acceptable in a 100% autonomous car (then we would only complain about how awkwardly asymmetrical it now looks with the information scattered haphazardly around the screen).

Hopefully Tesla fixes this soon and we are not handcuffed to this absolutely terrible end of 2020 UI update.
Agreed 100% + the phone volume needs to be fixed. Every time I exit the car my phone ringer volume is set super high.

Reactions: rmh9
Here’s a minor change for the worse. I have the midnight silver paint with just the aero caps, so my wheels pretty much match the color of the car. Originally, the car graphics showed only the silver wheels or the aero covers, neither of which looked like my car. I loved it when the aero caps wheel display option became available.

But now the wheel graphics are back to silver, clearly not like the dark grey that used to be there. When you go to choose your wheel preference, the thumbnail graphic is as it should be - dark grey. But what is displayed on the car graphic is not the same color.

I don’t know why Tesla changed this, but it clearly isn’t what these wheels look like and is a step backwards for those like me with the aero caps configuration.

Does your car show red brake calipers with the Aero Caps setting?