Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else exclusively using smartphone app instead of key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been enjoying using my iphone app instead of carrying a key to my model S the last week. I do have a concern that one day Tesla servers will be down and the app won't work when I need it to.

is anyone else going keyless? How risky is it?

On the S and X it’s a backup rather than primary as it depends on cellular networks.

For the Model 3 it can be a primary as it uses near field and other direct communication and does not rely on cellular networks.

I highly advise against this. I did it the other day in a full fitted suit on way to a wedding as I did not want key in pocket. Left my little dude in car sleeping as I ran into 7-Eleven for a Red Bull and when I came out it just so happened the app was down!!! WTF never had this happen before. Lucky for me my wife was right around the corner with a key, otherwise it would have made for a father of the year moment. Never again...

Have used the phone on a couple of occasions when I left my key in my jacket.
Worked very well, as expected.

whilst nfc isn't implemented on the MS, there is still the possibility of bluetooth.
Needs to be handsfree though if it is going to better the wireless key experience.

seems like more of a hassle for me to use the phone app than to have the key fob on you.

i typically just walk up to my car and get in.

with phone, id have to take my phone out, open the app, unlock the door, start the car.

way too many steps to be convenient over having the key fob in your pocket..

now if Tesla would make a nice credit card size key fob, id buy one!

Don't rely on the smartphone app.

Right now, as i type this, i am stranded because i parked my car where it cant get cellular.. even though my phone has 1 bar of 4g on verizon.

I dont care if my phone "automatically" unlocks the car, or i have to interact with it... But it HAS to be local over bluetooth with no connectivity required or its i load of crap that strands you.

(Waiting for my wife to show up with a physical key)

When I first got my Apple Watch I loaded the Remote S app onto it and could independently do everything I needed.

I felt like I was in heaven.

Then one day it wouldn't connect to my car when I was out and about.

Then I felt like I was in hell -- mainly because I had to call my wife who was against the idea in the first place...*ROLLEYES*.

It's always key fob for me now...

And what problem is there with sticking the key card in your wallet? Works for me, every time, cell signal or not. If the phone doesn't respond AS I WALK UP, I have my wallet against the B pillar, and viola, it unlocks. I can't believe some people insist on waiting while their wife brings a "key", whatever that is, because the key card is "too big" to carry in a wallet right behind the required Driver's License, etc.

Don't ever rely 100% on only one way to do much of anything electrical. If your Ring button doesn't work, put a sign, "Please Knock".

By the way, the phone works flawlessly, most of the time.

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr
And what problem is there with sticking the key card in your wallet? Works for me, every time, cell signal or not. If the phone doesn't respond AS I WALK UP, I have my wallet against the B pillar, and viola, it unlocks. I can't believe some people insist on waiting while their wife brings a "key", whatever that is, because the key card is "too big" to carry in a wallet right behind the required Driver's License, etc.

Don't ever rely 100% on only one way to do much of anything electrical. If your Ring button doesn't work, put a sign, "Please Knock".

S and X don't have key cards, they have fobs which make wallets lumpy

I've been enjoying using my iphone app instead of carrying a key to my model S the last week. I do have a concern that one day Tesla servers will be down and the app won't work when I need it to.

is anyone else going keyless? How risky is it?

It happens. Tesla service goes down. Local cell towers go down.

Are you saying you don't have your key with you? If so, you will eventually get stranded.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
They can, but it would use a lot of power. I don't think the S or X can handle BTLE currently, so it would operate constant Bluetooth in full power mode whci wouldn't be great on vampire losses.

Thats BS... Non LE Bluetooth uses 1W of power max, and less when idle and listening. A good battery drain is 40W and sentry is 200-300W. Keeping the car awake for activating the feature would be much more significant than the difference between LE and non LE.
There are maybe more hardware reasons it’s only available on the 3.

Whoa this guy has no idea what's going on in this thread.

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr