Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have HORRIBLE radio reception?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my S85 this weekend (LOVE IT!) and tried finding an AM station on my way to work (East Bay to San Francisco). The auto-scan just kept cycling - even in the city where there a ton of AM stations - stopping nowhere. Has anyone in SF had luck tuning into AM? I want to report the issue but want to make sure I'm not heading down a dead end.

Bad AM reception is a non-issue and normal. As stated earlier, other EV makers like BMW are not even offering AM due to the interference. If your FM and cellular data reception are acceptable, don't worry about the AM.

That's too strong of a statement.

There are several AM only radio stations around that are useful but they have been dwindling really fast.
Also the cellular data angle is really good in urban areas but can really have trouble in the boonies.

Bad AM reception is a non-issue and normal. As stated earlier, other EV makers like BMW are not even offering AM due to the interference. If your FM and cellular data reception are acceptable, don't worry about the AM.

AM radio better than expected

I tried the radio on a test drive in Costa Mesa today. FM reception was fine on dozens of stations scanned. AM was strong on KFI 640 (50,000W signal in LA), good on KSPN710, very slight motor interference on acceleration and regen on KABC790 and more noticeable but still low level EMI from motor on 870 (one of the weaker stations in the area). AM interference from power lines followed the same pattern, but was less than I hear in my Ford Econoline work van with 2-foot factory antenna.

FM, both regular and HD is the worst of any car I have ever owned. It is inexcusable for it to be so bad. If Tesla wanted to have little or no antenna, they should have opted for a high sensitivity tuner. Heaven knows they charge enough for the audio system.

For what it's worth, I too have challenges with certain stations' reception in the car. In the early days (Dec 2012), Tesla tried replacing my antenna amplifiers (located under the trim panels on the liftgate) with no success after I demonstrated a considerable difference between reception in 3 different vehicles compared to Model S.

Conclusion was that it's the antenna system used by Tesla. AM is better than FM for me (perhaps because I really only listen to KMOX, a 50 kW AM station based 45 miles from me which comes in well, rain or shine). FM tends to be iffy.

That said, TuneIn carries both KMOX and most of the FM stations I listen to, and XM/Slacker fill in the rest, so there are ways around it.

I complained about this to my SC and they explained that the current antenna design represents a compromise designed with aerodynamics as a priority. I'm sure it helps minutely to have no external appendages whatsoever, but I do think they went too far with this. I'm glad there is no whip antenna, but would much appreciate a slight protrusion like I have on my BMW 328ci trunk lid, which gives me strong reception at considerably greater distances. I have a Whispbar roof rack and cannot really tell whether it is installed or not from the consumption values I get.

I complained about this to my SC and they explained that the current antenna design represents a compromise designed with aerodynamics as a priority. I'm sure it helps minutely to have no external appendages whatsoever, but I do think they went too far with this. I'm glad there is no whip antenna, but would much appreciate a slight protrusion like I have on my BMW 328ci trunk lid, which gives me strong reception at considerably greater distances. I have a Whispbar roof rack and cannot really tell whether it is installed or not from the consumption values I get.

Like others, though, the adoption of Internet-based radio has significantly diminished the need for the terrestrial radio receiver from my standpoint - and I think many if not most owners would concur. Couple that with Elon's hatred of fins, a couple of jokes about bumper cars and the poles sticking up from them, and you have a recipe for a trade-off. :)

Still no excuse. It does not have to be an aerodynamic issue at all. I haven't had an external antenna on a car in the last 20 years. Printed on a window or two. Heaven knows the visibility out the back window is so bad that a few more lines mixed in with the rear defroster traces wouldn't hurt anything. The external mirrors and discontinuities in the top due to the sunroof are plenty noisy already. My 2005 Lexus SUV is significantly quieter from a wind noise standpoint than my Model S. I live in So. Cal where FM signals are just laying around on the ground waiting to be picked up. I am not even talking about areas with difficult reception.

3 reasons why it's not good in the Model S:

1. Electromagnetic interference from the drivetrain.
2. Lack of a separate (whip) antenna.
3. AM is so yesterday. TuneIn and Slacker is where it's at! (You should be able to find local FM/AM stations on TuneIn....and you can receive them anywhere you have cell coverage!

I wish it was yesterday. Unfortunately, ClearChannel does not allow its channels to be played on any apps except its own, iHeart Radio. So Tune in is lacking a huge number of popular stations around the country.

Hmm... My wife and I used the AM radio quite often when I lived in NJ to listen to KYW 1060 for traffic and news. Always came in loud and clear. I actually flipped over to AM by accident on my way home from NJ recently when I was in Maryland at night and was able to make out KYW 1060 a little still (> 100 miles away). So, no reception issues here on three different Model S. (Traded P85, wife's P85, and my P85D).

I never listen to any FM stations. Ever. I loathe commercials, and the quality is OK at best anyway. Slacker FTW.

I had horrible radio reception in 1970s era cars (with all the antenna), so I stopped even trying to listen to it as it was more frustrating than pleasurable. Radio is always bad if you are an even somewhat critical listener.