Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having to reprogram their side mirrors constantly?

Privilege

Jul 5, 2020
Los Angeles
My side mirrors keep losing their memorized position. This is even when I only had one profile. Having 2 profiles now did not fix it either as switching between the 2 profiles does not return the mirrors to their original position.

I have managed to reproduce the problem and took a video of it and set up some markers to demonstrate that the position is lost. But I am curious if anyone else is having this issue. I found another thread for the Model 3 where someone was experiencing a similar issue and it ended up being a software update that fixed it. Tesla tech that I spoke with over the phone has never heard of something like this happening. Will schedule a mobile service appointment again for them to try to fix this but the tech I spoke with is making me worried they won't be able to fix it.

ChrgdTeCHick

May 7, 2017
Florida
No issues here at all. Using two profiles, and having the option for them to point down on reverse and it works every time.

Try restarting the car if you haven't already. I hadn't heard of this being an issue before.

DaveORD

Mar 12, 2020
Chicagoland
Try the following:
  • While in park adjust the mirrors to correct position.
  • Go into reverse and then back into drive/park several times over and over.
  • Back into park
  • Are the mirrors still aligned?

If mirrors moved,
  • while in park adjust the mirrors again
  • disable the auto tilt the mirrors while in reverse setting
  • repeat that test of switching between reverse and drive/park and see. They should not move now, stay fixed.

I was having the same issue a while back and it was the mirrors adjusting when I switched into reverse and they did not return to the same position after a few iterations of this, accumulating loss over time. I thought it was fixed in later software version but I never checked to confirm, just kept that option disabled.

PearlShark

Oct 13, 2017
Canada
I felt I had this issue with my Model 3 a while back and turned off auto tilting on reverse which seemed to help.
I had a hunch that it was related to moving the mirrors in the end ranges which would mess up the positioning calibration. Are you particularly tall/short?
Model Y I haven’t noticed the issue but I have auto tilt off now.

My left side mirror vibrates above 60mph though…

dip694

May 4, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I have the same issues:

Took delivery of my MY a few weeks ago. I notice that my side mirrors need to be re-adjusted ever couple of days as they tend to slowly pitch down over time. Anyone have the same issue? This is kind of annoying as you continuously have to re-adjust them and re-save the configuration.

Furthermore, when driving at higher speeds (i.e. 60+mph), the driver side mirror tends to shake a bit. Thoughts?

Privilege

Jul 5, 2020
Los Angeles
Try the following:
  • While in park adjust the mirrors to correct position.
  • Go into reverse and then back into drive/park several times over and over.
  • Back into park
  • Are the mirrors still aligned?

If mirrors moved,
  • while in park adjust the mirrors again
  • disable the auto tilt the mirrors while in reverse setting
  • repeat that test of switching between reverse and drive/park and see. They should not move now, stay fixed.

I was having the same issue a while back and it was the mirrors adjusting when I switched into reverse and they did not return to the same position after a few iterations of this, accumulating loss over time. I thought it was fixed in later software version but I never checked to confirm, just kept that option disabled.

So I couldn't replicate it by changing from drive to reverse and vice versa. But I was able to replicate it by changing to my wife's profile and then my profile. But this is not normally how the problem is created because we just created her profile a few days ago and it's been happening well before that. But it just goes to show that somehow the position isn't saved correctly.
Here is a video of what is happening.

I felt I had this issue with my Model 3 a while back and turned off auto tilting on reverse which seemed to help.
I had a hunch that it was related to moving the mirrors in the end ranges which would mess up the positioning calibration. Are you particularly tall/short?
Model Y I haven’t noticed the issue but I have auto tilt off now.

My left side mirror vibrates above 60mph though…

No, I am average height and the mirror isn't adjusted to the end of the ranges either.

I have the same issues:

Took delivery of my MY a few weeks ago. I notice that my side mirrors need to be re-adjusted ever couple of days as they tend to slowly pitch down over time. Anyone have the same issue? This is kind of annoying as you continuously have to re-adjust them and re-save the configuration.

Furthermore, when driving at higher speeds (i.e. 60+mph), the driver side mirror tends to shake a bit. Thoughts?

I haven't noticed the mirror shaking though I haven't paid attention to that. But my mirrors move down and to the outside. Both of them. I'm actually glad that you are seeing a similar problem. Maybe you can call yours in as well? I made a video in the link above and was lucky enough to replicate the problem.

Eric9610

Sep 4, 2020
So Cal
I have the issue when they tilt for reversing they don't go back so I have to hit my profile when this happens. Since the .2 update I have noticed it though.

E_R_N

Jun 16, 2020
Vancouver
Apparently they calibrate like the Windows do. Center the mirror then in any order you want, go full up and hold it for a few seconds, then full down and hold it, back to center and do it again full left and full right. Do that for both mirrors. Worked for me.

Hasek2

Feb 15, 2021
CT
My passenger side mirror does this, real annoying

also my navigation volume goes down to low after the car sleeps, even after I changed and manually save it.

ALSO I have a custom horn, anytime the car goes to sleep it reverts to a Tesla default horn

ALSO ALSO when my car sleeps unplugged, I get in the car OK but the screen takes like 20+ seconds to turn on - mobile service didn’t know what was up, and when I did the service chat they said that a USB error occurred cause I have a 3rd party USB

I unplugged any usb and it did the same thing

wtf Tesla

BigPoppa

Sep 5, 2019
California

Mine would do the same thing over time when I had auto-tilt in reverse enabled. After disabling that, I haven't had my mirrors drift out of alignment.

Privilege

Jul 5, 2020
Los Angeles
Well I had an appointment scheduled for tomorrow but canceled it as the problem seems to have fixed itself. FWIW no repairs were made. The problem just went away on its own. Was having another issue having to reboot to get the radio working several times and that seems to have gone away, too.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC