Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else tired of the "anti" selling of M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look, I know that there is some perceived confusion by some people thinking that the Model 3 is superior to the MS or MX because it's the latest Tesla. Well, it's not. State that, position your models appropriately and move on. I know the M3 isn't available today, but the MS and MX is... so they are definitely the choice for someone wanting a Tesla now. Great. I also have great respect for the MS and MX owners who's means and early adopting nature has enabled the M3. Thank you.

<VENT>But, enough with the anti-M3 already. It's like walking on egg shells where we can't possibly have any aspect of the M3 better than MS/MX or else! Can't have too many options, or can't have this or that. We wouldn't want to cannibalize any potential MS/MX owners right? Aren't the MS/MX owners a COMPLETELY different demographic? I mean I personally could NEVER justify dropping $100K+ on a vehicle at this stage in my life (I also have 3 kids starting to need college in a few years). We are just REALLY different demographics, so can't we just acknowledge this and move on? I feel like ever since Elon realized the confusion around M3, it's no longer possible to consider ANY M3 capability that might be superior in ANY way! It's newer and I'd like to think that if Tesla is smarter today, they'd be sure to fix/improve something that they know better to do now. Unfortunately, it feels like Tesla would rather not fix/improve any M3 aspect that might make it better than the MS/MX in ANY way, no matter how slight. Anti-sell....I'd rather them just add that upgrade/fix to the liens list and incorporate said improvements on the next MS/MX. After all, the MS/MX demographic can upgrade their car more readily than this guy. I just want the M3 to be the best car it can be and not artificially limited to less-than the MS/MX at every decision. </VENT>

I feel the same way... however there is a smaller group who can afford a Model S and are choosing to get a Model 3 instead but it's more due to price than them thinking the Model 3 is somehow more advanced.

Fact is, Model S sales are way down and X sales are up. While this could be a natural shift, it's more likely due to the upcoming Model 3. In the next two quarters they still really need S/X sales to fund the Model 3 ramp up.

The anti selling is starting to trouble me. Other manufacturers are announcing future cars with greater range. I've already been waiting for years for the Model 3 (since the roadster). Now if I wait a few more years then there may be a great deal of competition in this space instead of pouncing on the first sporty, long range, EV that I can actually afford. It seems like we are being told that the Model 3 is a electric taxi with an autopilot that's not quite there yet.

Having never owned a Tesla, I've still admired the brand for years. I want a Tesla! I can only afford the Model 3 and I want to feel good about it. I don't want to feel like crap because I can't afford a Model S and we keep being told the Model S is so much better than the Model 3 in every way.

I know realistically the Model 3 is going to be the best car I've personally ever owned. That said it's also going to be the most expensive car I've ever owned even if I get the base model. Why do they want people like me to feel crappy about the future purchase?

There's got to be some other way instead of anti-selling the Model 3. Perhaps compare it to other brands instead of disrespecting their own future model.

The same thing happened before the Model X - people were waiting to make a purchase decision because they wanted to see the X first. It's always a business conundrum - how do you talk about the new, coming product without cannibalizing sales of your current products?

Shoot, now that I think about it, the same thing happened before the Model S was available - all sorts of incentives to get a Roadster, including being able to turn it in from a lease when your S was ready.

I haven't seen Tesla's actions as talking down the Model 3 - just doing what any manufacturer with limited models has to do to keep sales numbers up until the new product is launched. The 3 is going to be a great car.

Just my 2 cents, but I don't think anything is getting cut from the Model 3 to help boost Model S sales. The anti sell is just talk and it's because Tesla is a for-profit public company who has to explain Model S sales in their quarterly shareholder meetings, and ever since the Model 3 was announced, people assumed it would be on par with the Model S in many ways. Yeah, the name is a bad one in hindsight, and the early claims to be similar to a BMW 3-series are also probably off.

To me, the Model 3 was always going to lack features compared to the S. It's literally half the price! And if you can't cut the price of batteries, and the steering wheel, and the headliner, and the tailights, etc, by 50%, then entire things must be dropped.

The Model 3 is an average-priced car (avg new car is $34k). With the battery premium, it's going to be below average in some aspects. There's obviously a ton of things great about it (EV, awesome software) but I'm expecting it to be more akin to a Toyota than a Mercedes if Tesla sticks to the $35k price point, which they seem to be doing.

As excited as I am about the success/enthusiasm surrounding the Model 3 so far, I have had concerns for a while about the huge demand and backlog. Someone at Tesla has surely realized that instead of launching a car jam packed with as many features as possible, they can set the bar low, still sell all the cars they can make, and slowly upgrade and ramp up the bells and whistles over time. The only problem with this approach is that it leaves them vulnerable to competition from others. When Apple launched the iPhone, everyone openly discussed how this was going to cannibalize iPod sales. Fast forward 10 years, and the iPod is basically non-existent, but Apple's philosophy was that they'd rather cannibalize their own sales than have a competitor do it. I'm not saying the Model 3 is going to lead to the death of the Model S (as others have pointed out, it's a different car, for a different demographic). I just hope that Musk's attitude of packing it full of features continues to dominate the discussion at Tesla (accepting that some features just aren't 'ready' yet, and allowing an "on time" launch and gradual improvement). I hope that they aren't using the huge demand as an excuse to hold back on features for the car, then roll out new features as supply improves and demand starts to wane. Only time will tell, but I'm hoping once they start actually selling the Model 3, they'll do what every other car company does, and keep each car in its own segment. BMW 3 and 7 series don't compete with each other, and presumably it's possible to buy a 3 series that outperforms the 7 series depending on each car's configuration.

I think there are quite a few S owners (including me) who can afford an S but never expected to spend nearly 6 figures on a car. The first test drive really gets you. But, it's a lot of money and now with the 3 around the corner, there's a more economical alternative. So all those folks who are thinking of moving from their Volt to a Tesla, are they going to buy the S or the 3? Tesla is going to do all they can to make sure it's an S.

Reactions: ChadS and SageBrush
The quality of the model 3 should be better just based on production volume and A list suppliers and A list teams. That matters to some people.

As excited as I am about the success/enthusiasm surrounding the Model 3 so far, I have had concerns for a while about the huge demand and backlog. Someone at Tesla has surely realized that instead of launching a car jam packed with as many features as possible, they can set the bar low, still sell all the cars they can make, and slowly upgrade and ramp up the bells and whistles over time. The only problem with this approach is that it leaves them vulnerable to competition from others.

Elon Musk has stated in quarterly shareholder meetings and elsewhere that Model 3 will start out simple at the beginning, so that Tesla can get the production line right. Rear wheel drive only at first, and AWD 6-9 months later.

The Model X launch was a disaster due to the complexity and too many new features, and Tesla does not want a repeat of that situation.

I'm not worried about anti-selling. There are many people who just want a nice, basic car and don't need the bells and whistles of the Model S and X. Personally, I prefer a simpler Model 3 because there are fewer things that can go wrong.

Believe the anti selling is to encourage people on the very long waiting list to change to an S or X that they can get right away, than wait for a very long time to get their Model 3

Some on the waiting list want ot heavily option up their Model 3, and Tesla wants them to consider getting a Model S for about the same price and get it more quickly.

Model 3 has perhaps more interest than any other vehicle in the history of mankind (maybe except the 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang)

Perhaps a lot of Model 3 reservation holders are current S owners who may be looking forward to turning in their S and move into a much cheaper 3 that does the same job. Tesla knows that, and knows that is trouble.

Give up your Model 3 .
m3_vs_ms.JPG

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
Aren't the MS/MX owners a COMPLETELY different demographic? I mean I personally could NEVER justify dropping $100K+ on a vehicle at this stage in my life (I also have 3 kids starting to need college in a few years). We are just REALLY different demographics, so can't we just acknowledge this and move on?

I can't. Sure, there are some people who were born into money and dropping $100k on a vehicle is nothing to them. But I bet the vast majority of people here are more like me. I didn't grow up with much and I've worked hard for everything I have. Through hard work and smart investments I built up a nice nest egg, I have my kids' education funds set aside, retirement funds, investment properties, and a recreational property. I was never interested in wasting money on a fancy car. All of my money went back into trying to make more money, not flushing it down the toilet, which is what you basically do driving a new, expensive vehicle off the lot.

Then Tesla came along, and I become interested for a variety of reasons, so I went for a test drive, and ordered the next day.

So I can relate to what you say in your post except the part that I need to acknowledge the Model 3 is not aimed at people who can drop $100k on a vehicle. While that may not be Tesla's aim, I ran towards their dart and it struck me bulls-eye. I can't wait for my Model 3, and I'll also be keeping my S.

And I'm certain there's many more of me out there.

Look at it this way - the Model S is a critical part of the machine (right now) that keeps Tesla alive while the Model 3 has no positive net contribution right now, none, zero! Add to that there are no Model 3 s available for sale either so they can have any spec in flyers yet wouldn't be violating laws because no one would buy a Model 3 with mis-informed facts. Without cash coming in, this company cannot survive. And there are people out there waiting for any sort of negative news coming out of Tesla and right now, Model S and X sales are critical to keep everything afloat. Imagine yourself as the captain of ship Tesla and you will begin to see the unspoken side to all this.

Morale of the story - everything will be just fine, we will get that great car we have been waiting for all this time.