Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else trade up from LR RWD to AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really depends on how much snow you get and how much you want to (or need to) drive in it.
I agree. I was really into skiing at the time (and much younger) and obviously had to deal with a lot of snow from time to time. I remember one trip where the state highway was actually closed after I began my trip to the mountain. I didn't see but two cars for over four hours as I worked my way up to the hotel. The snow was at least 12" deep on the highway for most of the trip. What would have been a two hour drive turn into six hours. But my Talon with front chains never slipped once.

I have no idea what the OP is facing each winter. It's probably also worth noting that AWD seemed to also be helpful in heavy rain, at least that was my experience. In my current life, my LR RWD is fine for all my needs. If I decide to go skiing I'll just take the ski bus up to the mountain and let the driver worry about chains.

Last edited:
Should mention as well, our winters in NJ tend to be more cold and wet than consistently snowy - making the snow tire debate a tricky one. Places that see consistent snow, I get it - but we may see 3-5 snow storms that result in any accumulation an entire winter here.

• Disagree
Reactions: DTTS
Should mention as well, our winters in NJ tend to be more cold and wet than consistently snowy - making the snow tire debate a tricky one. Places that see consistent snow, I get it - but we may see 3-5 snow storms that result in any accumulation an entire winter here.

They aren’t called snow tires anymore because they’re not just for snow. Winter Tires are formulated with compounds that remain soft in cold temps. So, they’re better than all-seasons in temps under 45F, including wet or snowy conditions.

I’m in CT and our winters aren’t much snowier than yours. This past winter get almost no snow. My set of winter tires went on in December (after our only real snow storm) and made an immediate difference in traction.

They aren’t called snow tires anymore because they’re not just for snow. Winter Tires are formulated with compounds that remain soft in cold temps. So, they’re better than all-seasons in temps under 45F, including wet or snowy conditions.

I’m in CT and our winters aren’t much snowier than yours. This past winter get almost no snow. My set of winter tires went on in December (after our only real snow storm) and made an immediate difference in traction.

I feel like our winters are spent 50/50 above/below 45 degrees. Isn’t abnormal for it to snow one day, then a few days later be at 55 degrees.

You were happy with the winter tires’ performance on the 45+ days of winter?

Ah, the age old "snow tires vs. AWD" debate. There must be one thread on this on every car forum every few weeks.

I've been driving AWD cars on all-season tires for 20 years (around NJ too) - and have never been stuck in snow (or dangerously lost traction). Ever. Not everybody want to change wheels every season.

To the OP - I never tried M3 RWD, but the AWD is total blast - and definitely worth it.

Reactions: Zidarich
I'm noticing people are saying they put chains on the front in their AWD. The Tesla shop says to only put chains on the back. Am I missing something?

I'm wondering if it has to do with the Model 3 AWD being "RWD biased".

You can clearly see how biased it is here, there are other Video's that show it as well. I think it's an efficiency thing on the Model 3.

The Model S/X Videos don't exhibit this. I wish there was a snow mode that turned off the RWD bias thing.

I wonder if Tesla has the same recommendation for Model S/X.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the Model 3 AWD being "RWD biased".

You can clearly see how biased it is here, there are other Video's that show it as well. I think it's an efficiency thing on the Model 3.

The Model S/X Videos don't exhibit this. I wish there was a snow mode that turned off the RWD bias thing.

I wonder if Tesla has the same recommendation for Model S/X.
Good info. But I assume two pair is even better?

I want to ask the question again, how many have made the jump from LR RWD to LR AWD? Now that range isn't really an issue.
Not sure if you mean in general or specifically for winter? For winter I think good winter tires are significantly a better option than going from RWD to AWD IMO. Otherwise I think you get better performance with AWD than RWD.