Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else trade up from LR RWD to AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does better regen matter when RWD already beats AWD in efficiency? To be honest the whole “AWD has better regen” is nonsense. Your carrying more weight around that you often don’t need. More stuff to break with AWD. Smaller Frunk. Generally, the higher the price tag the worse the depreciation.

My point is, you can “justify” anything you want. If you want AWD, get it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love AWD. And would never cripple it without snows.

AWD is why so many bought Jeep and Subaru. AWD is very desirable in slick climates. AWD wins, hands down, in multi-tasking. Improve upon it or rely on it, alone.

You could start by looking at the URL I provided in this thread, which clearly shows winter tires are better than summer on AWD.

And if you want to argue otherwise, you could start by providing some evidence to back up your claim, rather than asking for sources from others while proving none yourself.

In other words, don't be hypocritical.
Calm down, I said I'm open to being wrong. I didn't see your article previously, thank you for posting it. Definitely interesting.

Someone just needs to do a Model 3 RWD with snow tires vs Model 3 AWD with all season tires to truly put the discussion to rest.

Definitely considering winter tires for my AWD after reading this thread. How much does Tesla charge to switch them out on subsequent visits if I buy from Tesla originally?

AWD is why so many bought Jeep and Subaru. AWD is very desirable in slick climates. AWD wins, hands down, in multi-tasking. Improve upon it or rely on it, alone.

I have AWD on both cars with snows.

I didn’t get it for any of the reasons listed.

Not for power, not for resale, not for regen, not for tire wear, not so I could avoid installing snow tires.

If it's snowing you should turn regen to low. Having it on standard can cause the tires to lock up unexpectedly in a slowing situation. Much like down shifting in snow can cause your tires to lock up even though you're not braking. All it really is, is the tires attempting to slow at a rate the surface won't allow.

With good snows, AWD and limited regen due to cool weather when snow on the ground. I never came even close to needing to do that.

In fact, last week was the first day I started with full regen out of my garage.

If you run RWD with all seasons maybe it’s needed.

You grippage May vary.

Have 15,000 miles on the car, and got a decent trade in offer of $38,000.
I paid $42,500 for the car (factoring in the tax credit),
and we don’t pay sales tax on electric vehicles in New Jersey.
Anyone else make the jump to AWD? Curious to see if you felt it was worth it.

Difficult to say if $38,000 is a good offer?

Could you detail the list of options (EAP, FSD?) and original price ordering?

I noticed that you don't have to pay sales tax on a new car,
which can be an additional combined 9.5% tax in SF or LA.

The first year depreciation is always high,
I wonder if it would not be wise to keep it until the Model Y will be available,
as you might again consider switching car after a year or so.

Note: anyway, 4WD or not, what matter are the tires:

Last edited:
Reactions: Zidarich
It’s only 15 miles. 310 vs 325. With dual if uses a bit more energy. But for me awd is worth it. Quicker, smoother off acceleration and better in snow.

I don't think it's either. That would be only 4% difference, I suspect it's more than that.

Even though the official EPA number is 310 for AWD the energy chart, in the car, draws the "Reference Line" at 295 on AWD cars. So it's more like 295 vs 325 (10%) not as good as 4% or as bad as 15%. Also if you use the famous "chart" from teslike, at 65 mph with Aero's it's 325 vs 350 (7%), also not 4% or 15%.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-proof-that-computers-and-all-wheel-drive-are-no-m-1830536284

I put winter tires on my RWD Model S for the first time last winter. Whereas in previous winter with the all-seasons I had some fishtailing, this past winter, I never lost traction. It was night and day.

As the video above explains, AWD and electronic stability control only works to maximize your existing tire's traction. It does not INCREASE traction of the tires. Winter tires have much better traction on snow and ice, as demonstrated on the ice rink in the videos.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
A quick google search for AWD vs Snow Tires would end most of the debate here (hint: winter tires help you stop, AWD does not). Here's one of the better search results:

Do You Really Need AWD in the Snow? - Consumer Reports
My mind has definitely been changed. Will likely be getting winter tires this year. Anyone know how much Tesla charges to swap them out via Ranger after the initial purchase/change?

Reactions: SmartElectric
I would change, not because awd has better traction but you mentioned your expecting a little one. Im sure someone can confirm this but If a motor fails on a rwd Tesla your waiting for a tow, if a motor fails on a awd can’t you limp it home. Could be a selling point if your out in the boonies somewhere.

Reactions: HyperionMark
I wouldn’t give up the greater range the LR RWD provides (especially in winter). Get a set of winter tires and you’ll be fine.
For around town driving I would agree with you. However, I will tell you that if you have to deal with heavy snow on a regular basis there is nothing that can beat an AWD with chains on the front. A long time ago I had an Eagle Talon and even though it was by far the worst car I've ever owned, it was unstoppable in the snow with chains on the front wheels. You could drive in snow 18" deep (basically right up to the front bumper.) I imagine that will four wheel chains an M3 AWD could pretty much go anywhere in the winter. Even four wheel studded snow tires would probably turn it into a monster snow machine.

For around town driving I would agree with you. However, I will tell you that if you have to deal with heavy snow on a regular basis there is nothing that can beat an AWD with chains on the front. A long time ago I had an Eagle Talon and even though it was by far the worst car I've ever owned, it was unstoppable in the snow with chains on the front wheels. You could drive in snow 18" deep (basically right up to the front bumper.) I imagine that will four wheel chains an M3 AWD could pretty much go anywhere in the winter. Even four wheel studded snow tires would probably turn it into a monster snow machine.

Really depends on how much snow you get and how much you want to (or need to) drive in it.

NJ average is just 23 inches of snow. Where as NH is 58 (where I have a cabin I want to get to from MA and want to be able to leave).
I can see most in NJ getting by fine with RWD and snows. But I want AWD (with snows) for my needs.

BTW way, the OP could get the snows now (easy now while available), try it this winter and if not happy, keep the snows and swap the car for AWD.

Depends a lot on the winter too. This past winter was pretty mild and I could have got by fine with RWD in MA. But I felt I needed every bit of AWD and Snows in NH, even in this fairly light winter.

Also keep in mind that Tesla's snows are "Performance" leaning snow tires. ANY snow is better than any all season or summer tire. But there are a wide range of snow tires too. Every tire is a trade off and some what of a bet. You could argue a Performance snow is safer because when it's just dry or wet (which is most of the time) it will perform better than many of the more aggressive snow tires. But if you deal with a lot of snow you might be better off with a more aggressive snow tire. Like Xi3 or Nokian R3.