Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Else Worried About Not Getting Delivery in December?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in Denver. I ordered a 90D on the 16th. I really need the tax credit because every quarter the government bends me over a table to take money out of my pocket. Thus is choose to buy the car rather then give them $15k in taxes.

So I REALLY hope it gets here before Jan 1.

Lets stay in touch!

@simplesolid - You might actually consider delaying. There are rumors around here that Tesla rushes cars out the door at the end of every quarter to meet delivery targets and that quality control can suffer. If you actually pushed your car back a couple weeks it might get built in the beginning of Q1 2017 - and also you'd have the increased resale value of being able to later advertise it whenever you sell it as one year newer. Yes, Tesla doesn't use model years but people still think of them that way.

I thought about that, but I think it is the contrary of what you think, cars being built right now will have a sweet price spot as they will have AP 2.0 and free Supercharger for life. Not to mention that I get the Federal Tax credit is a very nice discount. I can't pass out on all these incentives, but to be honest just the free supercharger is worth a lot more to me.

Did you confirm your order. You have up to a week to confirm your order and that could cost you an extra week if you do not confirm it immediately.

Just a word of caution, that one week waiting period is a godsend, I can't tell you how many changes I made during that week until I finally found the perfect options for me. I must changed my order no less than 7-8 times during that week.
I am glad I waited.

Reactions: Archimedes
Just a word of caution, that one week waiting period is a godsend, I can't tell you how many changes I made during that week until I finally found the perfect options for me. I must changed my order no less than 7-8 times during that week.
I am glad I waited.

I also made several changes during that week, but I also never saw a way to confirm early. It appeared to me that the one week waiting period was mandatory.

I also made several changes during that week, but I also never saw a way to confirm early. It appeared to me that the one week waiting period was mandatory.

I had a 2015 Model S85D and traded it in for the exact same care except for the 90KW battery, console, adaptive headlights, AP 2.0 hardware, fully autonomous software, etc. If you go to your MyTesla account find click on the car you just ordered, you can confirm your order there. I ordered my car on November 18th and confirmed in less than 30 minutes later. There is no mandatory 7 day waiting period. The only risk is that if you confirm it and then make a change it cost you $500 as long as the change can be made.

Take anything your DS tells you with a grain of salt...

I confirmed a fully loaded P100D in AUGUST! with an expected delivery date of end of September. It was rescheduled twice to end of November/December, my (useless) DS told me that I should expect it prior to Thanksgiving. Guess what..just checked my status page and the date has been pushed out yet again to December early January. I hope this is not one of those Fremont Delivery that is pushed out to EOQ. What a crock. (this is my 5th Tesla so I know the score, but NEVER this bad).

I ordered the white "recommended" seats. In any case, the design page states if I order today, the configuration I ordered is "late December" (sounds like bait and switch at this point). I was told white seats delayed the first delivery, however, the DS told me expect delivery before Thanksgiving (he is useless). What really gets my goat is that they are churning out plenty of P100Ds to EV-CPO.

Tesla has demonstrated they can crank things out quickly. My car went into production on 11/19 and it was completed on 11/20. Not saying that this is the case for everyone, just sharing my experience. For what it's worth, I have an appointment on 12/1 at 4pm to take delivery and all this transpired with Thanksgiving being sandwiched in between.
Hopefully your one day wonder was better than mine, it had a host of Quality problems

My BS (DS) originally told me beginning of December, then mid December, then week of Xmas, today he told me Dec 31st!? They are under the gun as they agreed to refund my deposit (as well as eat the car) if the car wasn't delivered by years end. However, I've already told them if there are any issues with the car I won't take it or pay for it until all issues are corrected. So, they are now leaving themselves hours to fix any problems. I'm only purchasing the X for tax reasons and could care less if they don't make the time line as I'll just go buy another car by the 31st. The point is that it really pisses me off they keep stringing me along. I expect that crap from a Hyundai dealer. When I spend 130k on a car I want transperancy and accurate timeliness, not guessing by my BS

My BS (DS) originally told me beginning of December, then mid December, then week of Xmas, today he told me Dec 31st!? They are under the gun as they agreed to refund my deposit (as well as eat the car) if the car wasn't delivered by years end. However, I've already told them if there are any issues with the car I won't take it or pay for it until all issues are corrected. So, they are now leaving themselves hours to fix any problems. I'm only purchasing the X for tax reasons and could care less if they don't make the time line as I'll just go buy another car by the 31st. The point is that it really pisses me off they keep stringing me along. I expect that crap from a Hyundai dealer. When I spend 130k on a car I want transperancy and accurate timeliness, not guessing by my BS

In relation to taking delivery with issues, you can still do that just make sure to note everything in the bill of sale, although I don't even think that's required anymore as they will fix any issues with the car for free if it is a manufacturing problem. This is not the sleazy dealer from down the street.
You have to over protect yourself like you would have to with a regular car dealer. If the car is not right they will make it right, at least that's my understanding, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I wonder why the DS's tend to be optimistic? Why not just give it to us straight?

I do understand that this entire process has many moving parts - and being a contractor, I know that "two weeks" really means "I don't know, but the earliest would be two weeks" when there are multiple factors beyond a single person's control at play.

I guess they just want to keep us happy until they can't? I rushed my order, confirming immediately after ordering on the 19th to make the Nov 20th cutoff and get the tax deduction this year, while it still exists. My DS has all but guaranteed delivery before Christmas, but I see that as the most optimistic scenario.

In relation to taking delivery with issues, you can still do that just make sure to note everything in the bill of sale, although I don't even think that's required anymore as they will fix any issues with the car for free if it is a manufacturing problem. This is not the sleazy dealer from down the street.
You have to over protect yourself like you would have to with a regular car dealer. If the car is not right they will make it right, at least that's my understanding, someone correct me if I am wrong.
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Just take it and run. Don't waste time with a nit picky inspection. Just glance at each exterior panel for scratches. Stuff that might have happened during the delivery. Then if I notice anything annoying during normal use, take it in around tire rotation time and try to get a free rotation at the same time they fix any issue(s).

For those of you that want to get your Tesla before December 31st. If it is going to be a few days late, ask the DS if they can process the paperwork prior to January 1st so you get the $7.500 tax credit this year. You would need to pay Tesla for the car and then wait a day or so to get it.

I'm one of the other Florida orders. I confirmed the day before you and just noticed a few minutes ago on the website they have changed mine to In Production. Back when I had confirmed my DS said it would probably arrive around the 26th of December. I'm also really hoping for the tax credit this year, so I'm very relieved to see them getting started.

Good suggestion from S85D on doing the paperwork ahead of time. I will definitely try that if delivery is going to be slow.