Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get FSD beta w/ MX '17 100D - MCU2 Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pickedup a used Model X from Tesla recently. It had the old MCU1 and I paid to get it upgraded. Included software for FSD.

We've scored over 95 over two weeks and have 100+ miles on autopilot... but no request to join the Beta.

Does anyone know if it happens quickly after hitting requirements? I'm curious if maybe my car won't qualify do to older cameras. Any insights would be super helpful!

I pickedup a used Model X from Tesla recently. It had the old MCU1 and I paid to get it upgraded. Included software for FSD.

We've scored over 95 over two weeks and have 100+ miles on autopilot... but no request to join the Beta.

Does anyone know if it happens quickly after hitting requirements? I'm curious if maybe my car won't qualify do to older cameras. Any insights would be super helpful!
It took me 3 months on a new 2022, and I had it on the 2018 I traded in.

Reactions: seantay00
The request comes from you and not from Tesla.

Your talk about your 95 score means the request was made.

When Tesla is ready for you to the beta pool, it does not send a request except for a courtesy e-mail notice to welcome you to the pool and to accept the next available update to get in.

Does anyone know if it happens quickly after hitting requirements?
No. Only Tesla knows the timing and it's been so tight that it has not been leaked except through Elon Musk's tweet.

If the leaker is not from Elon Musk's tweet, that's not reliable information. And you know how reliable his prediction on the timing has been!
I'm curious if maybe my car won't qualify do to older cameras. Any insights would be super helpful!
Correct!

Tesla does not send a congratulatory e-mail unless you have satisfied all the Safety Score, hardware, and timing requirements.

Just go to the phone app and schedule a camera update.

Reactions: seantay00
The request comes from you and not from Tesla.

Your talk about your 95 score means the request was made.

When Tesla is ready for you to the beta pool, it does not send a request except for a courtesy e-mail notice to welcome you to the pool and to accept the next available update to get in.

No. Only Tesla knows the timing and it's been so tight that it has not been leaked except through Elon Musk's tweet.

If the leaker is not from Elon Musk's tweet, that's not reliable information. And you know how reliable his prediction on the timing has been!

Correct!

Tesla does not send a congratulatory e-mail unless you have satisfied all the Safety Score, hardware, and timing requirements.

Just go to the phone app and schedule a camera update.
Thanks. What is the hardware requirement? How do I validate if I need the camera update... we just had MCU2 upgrade a month ago.

Thanks. What is the hardware requirement? How do I validate if I need the camera update... we just had MCU2 upgrade a month ago.
I am not sure there's an easy way to find out except by the date of your car manufacturing.

Some people still got the old cameras as late as the end of August 2017.

Just look at the label on your car jam, and if it's September or after 2017, you should have the new cameras.

If you are good at coding, there's an instruction on how to see whether your car is coded as APH3:

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
We have a Dec 2017 X 100D with MCU2 upgrade. No camera upgrade was needed for us. It took a couple of years to get the FSD beta from when we'd paid for it, but we have had it for a few months now.

Correct! FSD without the word beta does not need any upgrade. Your original obsolete hardware does run a version of FSD.

Since you already paid additionally for your MCU2, there's no advantage to delaying upgrading your cameras for free.

Maybe things might change but currently, FSD beta only works with at least MCU2 AND newer cameras (2.5 and above).

Tesla has only been adding people to FSD Beta in batches. Initially they were adding people as they hit the required score, but it appears that’s not how they’ve been doing it lately.

If your car was built prior to August 2017, it is AP2.0 and needs new cameras to be a part of FSD Beta. If it was built after August 2017, it is AP2.5 and does not need new cameras. The needed hardware is only MCU2 and the FSD computer for AP2.5.

If you have paid for FSD all hardware upgrade after that is free. I had all my cameras upgraded this summer. But no FSD BETA. just last week I got a message in my safety score app that I need another camera upgrade. So this week they upgraded just the two repeater cameras. All for free. Fingers crossed, been two days but no FSD beta yet.

Today morning I got the FSD beta. 10.693.1 Version (2022-36-20 ). I think this is a major upgrade , since I have heard that city auto pilot was pretty bad, but in my test drive today I found it to be very very intelligent, making right turns at red lights, turning left on unprotected green, or crossing solid yellow lines in inner roads where cars are parked on the street. It was also very quick in making right turns in green lights. Very impressed. By the way my Safety score option has disappeared from my app and my score was 81!!

Wonders never cease. 2017 Model S 100D. MCU 1, HDW 3. Just received my FSD Beta sofware update.