Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When was AP 2.5 Introduced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a *nix / Android user, and Remote S is only available for IOS as far as I can tell. So what I did was use the hints at Tesla Fi to read up on how get my own oath token and request my vehicle details, and it turns out that I *do* have APH3. So I guess I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong w/my USB drive.

For anybody who uses the *nix command line and wants to replicate what I did, I have some instructions below. Its not too hard (I'm a kernel hacker, not a web guy, and I managed to get it to work).

You first make a curl request like this:

curl --request POST \
--url 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token' \
--header 'content-type: application/json' \
--data '{"grant_type":"password", "client_id":"ID_FROM_WEB", "client_secret":"SECRET_FROM_WEB", "email":"[email protected]", "password":"myteslapassword"}'

The client_id and client_secret come from here: Authentication - Tesla JSON API (Unofficial) (search for "The current client ID and secret are available here." -- it is paste-bin link, so it might change).

If all goes well, you'll get some web-vomit back, which will include a string "access_token":"..gibberish....."
Now you make a new request using that token:

curl --request GET \
--url 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/api/1/vehicles' \
--header "Authorization: Bearer ...gibberish...."" \
--header 'content-type: application/json'

You then replace "....gibberish..." with the access token you got in the first command.

In my case, I got back:

<....>

option_codes":"AD15,AF02,AH00,APF2,APH3,APPB,AU0<....>

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
I'm a *nix / Android user, and Remote S is only available for IOS as far as I can tell. So what I did was use the hints at Tesla Fi to read up on how get my own oath token and request my vehicle details, and it turns out that I *do* have APH3. So I guess I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong w/my USB drive.

For anybody who uses the *nix command line and wants to replicate what I did, I have some instructions below. Its not too hard (I'm a kernel hacker, not a web guy, and I managed to get it to work).

You first make a curl request like this:

curl --request POST \
--url 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token' \
--header 'content-type: application/json' \
--data '{"grant_type":"password", "client_id":"ID_FROM_WEB", "client_secret":"SECRET_FROM_WEB", "email":"[email protected]", "password":"myteslapassword"}'

The client_id and client_secret come from here: Authentication - Tesla JSON API (Unofficial) (search for "The current client ID and secret are available here." -- it is paste-bin link, so it might change).

If all goes well, you'll get some web-vomit back, which will include a string "access_token":"..gibberish....."
Now you make a new request using that token:

curl --request GET \
--url 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/api/1/vehicles' \
--header "Authorization: Bearer ...gibberish...."" \
--header 'content-type: application/json'

You then replace "....gibberish..." with the access token you got in the first command.

In my case, I got back:

<....>

option_codes":"AD15,AF02,AH00,APF2,APH3,APPB,AU0<....>

There’s an entire API on apiary as well, if you want to script things.

This suggests that the date of announcement was Aug 9, 2017:

Autopilot "2.5" hardware released. Available on all cars ordered today
Tesla has a new Autopilot ‘2.5’ hardware suite with more computing power for autonomous driving

So it would seem that the earliest run in August may have missed it. I remember the fuss about this because I was ordering just after this announcement.

So to clarify the ~22 AUG 2017 date I mentioned earlier. It's more about actual production date, IE when the vehicle rolled off the line. My X finished production 30 AUG and has HW2.5. Got Teslacam up and working without a problem. There is another thread out there where people who had production dates prior to 22 AUG had HW2. I think one guy mentioned he was 23 AUG and had HW2.5.

In September 2017 Tesla sent out a mass email to those with HW 2.5 about the validation of AEB with the new hardware. I've attached a copy of the email, if you got this most likely you have HW2.5. Like others have stated, you can use apps or ask your SC what your hardware is.

Glad I ended up having HW2.5, but can understand the disappointment others feel if they had cars produced around that time. Not having functionality by a month isn't cool. Rest assured though that once HW3 and the custom chip comes out, all of us will be feeling a little disappointed until a free upgrade happens (if you pre purchased FSD), or more likely a paid upgrade occurs. It's the double edged sword of OTA updates, with other cars you accept your fate. With Teslas, it's awesome to have increased functionality until you are the one getting left behind.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 610
  • Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC and Flyguy
FWIW, it looks like in my case the car just did not like one USB stick. Using a different stick, formatted 'MS-DOS' on a Mac worked fine. The first was formatted 'fat 32' on Windows 10. Sigh.

Here’s a quick walkthrough I made for Mac OS. Also have one sample footage, unedited.

Posted in another thread, but hope it helps.

I know I’m way late to this game but I just bought Model S 2017 100D and date on the inside of the door omits 10/17. Does this mean I definitely have 2.5? Second question - I also don’t have any autopilot functionality. What are my options in terms of what availability I have to get autopilot and what versions and costs there would be for each. I called Tesla customer support and the girl that I spoke with told me that I either had auto pilot one or auto pilot to. I am sure that she is wrong so I don’t have a lot of faith in talking to Customer Service.

I know I’m way late to this game but I just bought Model S 2017 100D and date on the inside of the door omits 10/17. Does this mean I definitely have 2.5? Second question - I also don’t have any autopilot functionality. What are my options in terms of what availability I have to get autopilot and what versions and costs there would be for each. I called Tesla customer support and the girl that I spoke with told me that I either had auto pilot one or auto pilot to. I am sure that she is wrong so I don’t have a lot of faith in talking to Customer Service.

Yes, you have AP 2.5. Try calling again, it will redirect you to your closest service center. Try the manger if the same person picks up. They should quote you something like $3k for EAP and another $5k for FSD.

Yes to question #1

This is one of many threads that had a chart Troy made to understand upgrading to autopilot. How do you know you don’t have some version of AP?

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

So to clarify the ~22 AUG 2017 date I mentioned earlier. It's more about actual production date, IE when the vehicle rolled off the line. My X finished production 30 AUG and has HW2.5. Got Teslacam up and working without a problem. There is another thread out there where people who had production dates prior to 22 AUG had HW2. I think one guy mentioned he was 23 AUG and had HW2.5.

In September 2017 Tesla sent out a mass email to those with HW 2.5 about the validation of AEB with the new hardware. I've attached a copy of the email, if you got this most likely you have HW2.5. Like others have stated, you can use apps or ask your SC what your hardware is.

Glad I ended up having HW2.5, but can understand the disappointment others feel if they had cars produced around that time. Not having functionality by a month isn't cool. Rest assured though that once HW3 and the custom chip comes out, all of us will be feeling a little disappointed until a free upgrade happens (if you pre purchased FSD), or more likely a paid upgrade occurs. It's the double edged sword of OTA updates, with other cars you accept your fate. With Teslas, it's awesome to have increased functionality until you are the one getting left behind.
Would you mind sharing the last six digits of your vin as a reference point?