Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got 2018.12 beta yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know it the navigation was upgraded?
Same as upgrading software, you will have release note appears when starting the car. But it wont push software update notification to your phone. The version # stay same, no change.

On the release note, it says new navigation something then beta. Im going to take a picture on release note later on.

Attached release note:
A3750289-9B01-4DE4-B97A-96EA107BC370.jpeg

Reactions: vraev
Tried the new navigation beta today on my commute and it now closely resembles (i.e. is almost identical) to what I get in Waze on my phone. Initially still a tad optimistic on arrival times (by a couple of minutes or so), but much, much better than before ..YMMV

That's super exciting to me. I just tried the old Navigon maps today with re-route set to 5 minutes, told me a route including San Tomas to 101 to Central Expressway to Lawrence. Dumbest set of roads to attempt to switch between when it comes to rush hour traffic. Took 50 minutes to get to work when my usual sensible route is 25 minutes. And that is the last time I do that for science. Wanted a good baseline for when I get the new maps :D

Last edited:
Been in n .12 for over a week and still no updated nav. I was greeted with a “Touchscreen unresponsive. Please press scroll wheels...” message this morning though. :rolleyes:

I saw that message during the firmware update process. Came back to the car after the update was done - saw no new release notes (although the old notes were available via the T --> link). The message was gone. Hopefully for good.

What's missing? Well, media is still very broken - even neverminding the abhorrent interface since v*.8.x, Tunein podcasts haven't played for months. Rumor has it this is fixed in *.14 - so probably another month before that gets around to my car. And of course no nav update but given that it replaces Navigon's very helpful IC interface with some beta version of something else, I'm in no rush for that. Actually I have no idea of how I would get it because as a rule, the car is never connected via WiFi. Heh.

I'd like to see how *.14 improves the MCU(1) as it would be refreshing to not have to immediately plunk down $2500 for MCU2. Either way - in this car or the AP1 replacement for it as soon as that materializes, MCU2 has a lot of upside* if half the scuttlebutt is true. Yes, I'm going back to an AP1 car since Elon has said we won't get FSD across the board until the end of 2019. Enough is enough.

* Well, upside for MCU2 when taken in context. Pipe dream alert: in ~5 years, the combination of a faster MCU and, say, 5G will offer some cool possibilities. Finally.

That's super exciting to me. I just tried the old Navigon maps today with re-route set to 5 minutes, told me a route including San Tomas to 101 to Central Expressway to Lawrence. Dumbest set of roads to attempt to switch between when it comes to rush hour traffic. Took 50 minutes to get to work when my usual sensible route is 25 minutes. And that is the last time I do that for science. Wanted a good baseline for when I get the new maps :D

I live in SF and drive down to Santa Clara often. Waze usually gave me one of two routes, the first straight down 101, and the second down 280, cutting across on Wolfe to Central and then down further to Lafayette where I get off. The new nav today just gave me the 101 option but predicted the arrival time to within 2 minutes of actual, even though during the trip it varied quite a bit, depending on traffic conditions. Never suggested any alternative ...Trying again tomorrow shifting the window into a heavier traffic time..

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
I’ve been stuck on .4 for a month now almost and I wouldn’t mind knowing why.... unless I already know why.

Is it mandatory to be on WiFi to download updates or does it matter? I disconnected from my WiFi because my old router had problems. Just connected it to my new one.. should I expect a difference as a result?

i got a notifcation last night that an update was available.

i am on the 2018.12 so i assume its .14

and my car is at the detailer getting a xpel done, so its not on Wifi.
So i assume Wifi has very little determination on if your getting an update or not.

You can always take your car to a service center and ask them to hot install it, however we have this saying in the PC Overclocking community when it comes to motherboards.

If you DONT notice ANYTHING broken, DONT UPGRADE the BIOS.
Because a good chance you will NOTICE something broken after you flashed that BIOS.

:rolleyes: