Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind the RCCC array cameras can likely distinguish red from green just fine; R in RCCC stands for “red” after all

Correct.
  • For red lights, the red-filtered subpixels and grey subpixels should have similar values.
  • For yellow lights, the red-filtered subpixels will be significantly darker than the grey subpixels.
  • For green lights, the red-filtered subpixels will be almost black.

My M3 upgrade was completed last week, forgot to post. Early VIN 2XXX, working fine though I lost my Homelink settings and driver profiles. Annoying but not a big deal. Now seeing traffic lights and cones. Seems to be better at visualizing bicycles and pedestrians. Now I have to wait for my S 90D.

• Informative
Reactions: arghx7
Update. My car has been at the SC since last Thursday 1/9 for the upgrade to 3.0. This has not been a confidence building process with only cryptic updates and little guidance on what is going on and when I’ll get my car back. I was told that the hardware install was expected to be complete today and that hopefully the SW install will be done tomorrow. Mine was a May 2018 build so as has been reported elsewhere it may be a bit more involved for these early builds.

3 working days and counting. Luckily I didn’t need the car this weekend. I just miss it. Will report back.

I hope not I have a may 2018 build with 016XXX vin

VIN # 0106XX Model 3 here, booked with the mobile app for the HW3 upgrade last week and had it cancelled today ("unfortunately the hardware upgrade is not yet available for your vehicle"). Mine was one of the first ~10,000 Model 3s produced, so if I'm not eligible yet I'm guessing they are in the very early stages of this rollout. In fact, have we heard positive confirmation of even a single Model 3 receiving the HW3 upgrade?

On a related note - I'm wondering if the lack of *any* significant FSD features in the last few months is related to the delay in hardware upgrades. Tesla may be sitting on some impressive FSD functionality, but they know if they release it before a majority of the HW2.0/2.5 FSD vehicles are upgraded there will be an uproar.

Update. My car has been at the SC since last Thursday 1/9 for the upgrade to 3.0. This has not been a confidence building process with only cryptic updates and little guidance on what is going on and when I’ll get my car back. I was told that the hardware install was expected to be complete today and that hopefully the SW install will be done tomorrow. Mine was a May 2018 build so as has been reported elsewhere it may be a bit more involved for these early builds.

3 working days and counting. Luckily I didn’t need the car this weekend. I just miss it. Will report back.
Wow. Mine is also a May '18, 19xxx. I scheduled HW3 upgrade services that got cancelled.

BTW, Tesla delivered 2k+8k+18k = 28k Models 3s till the end of June '18. Assuming a low 10% FSD take rate, they have to upgrade some ~3k of such cars.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TT97
Wow. Mine is also a May '18, 19xxx. I scheduled HW3 upgrade services that got cancelled.

BTW, Tesla delivered 2k+8k+18k = 28k Models 3s till the end of June '18. Assuming a low 10% FSD take rate, they have to upgrade some ~3k of such cars.

Also May ‘18 build; put in a service request last week for the upgrade. Originally set up as a mobile appointment and was texted that my "concern" is not mobile capable and needs to go to the service center. Appointment set for the 29th and was told chances are the car will need to stay overnight. Fingers crossed appointment doesn't get cancelled.

Also May ‘18 build; put in a service request last week for the upgrade. Originally set up as a mobile appointment and was texted that my "concern" is not mobile capable and needs to go to the service center. Appointment set for the 29th and was told chances are the car will need to stay overnight. Fingers crossed appointment doesn't get cancelled.

Good Luck and please keep us updated..

I wasn't given any choice (infact no message, just silent cancel - unless I'm not seeing in the right place).

So, looks like cars before June '18 are only being upgraded in CA for now. BTW, mine is probably a April '18 build - I got it in May.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
June 2018 for me. 046xxx. You and I are pretty low vin numbers. I tried making an appointment to install HW3, but they said don’t call us we’ll call you. Hope we get the call soon.

I took my car in for service yesterday for a different issue. I inquired about the HW3 retrofit. The SC informed me they only had done one model 3 retrofit there and they had two kits on hand but the car was originally registered in cali and was a lower vin similar to mine. He told me for the most part they are keeping it west coast for now as they are closer to the headquarters and can relay any problems with early installs. He told me his best guess would be at least a month or two before they go full steam ahead on the retrofits anywhere outside of the west.

Yes, we’ve had our’s upgraded, both the 3 and the X last year in December and November, respectively.
Since you are a Model X owner, I assume you got your Model 3 before I did? I am VIN 08991 from March '18, the first batch released to non-owners. Would be interested to know if they are doing them in VIN order.

I know TelsaJoy got her car (VIN in the 41000's) updated recently, but they thought she might have a computer issue, so why put in another old computer?

Since you are a Model X owner, I assume you got your Model 3 before I did? I am VIN 08991 from March '18, the first batch released to non-owners. Would be interested to know if they are doing them in VIN order.
Yeah, we took delivery at the end of December in 2017. The previous leased S that I had before the X, along with our location and standing in line on March 31, 2016, is what I (assume) qualified us for such early delivery. We have VIN #14xx for the 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948

Update 2 - got my car back with the HW3 install completed and all is well. I don't know why it took them 4 working days and the nice guy who checked me out only said that they are really busy. This is the San Francisco SC.

All visualizations seem smoother with other cars, bikes, pedestrians etc seeming to be more accurate. Autopilot seems a bit smoother too but I need to drive more to say for sure. Like others I lost bluetooth pairings, Homelink, wifi settings, music settings and some other minor settings but the car name remained the same as did my phone as key and keycard pairings. My eero home wifi recognizes the car as a new device (new MAC address) so they must have changed the wifi module too. Autopilot cameras needed to calibrate on first drive and there was some other initial screen glitches which seem to have all been solved by a full power down and restart.

Really happy to have my car back and hopefully it won't take all of you 4 working days once your VIN comes up.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and EVNow
No offense intended, but I always chuckle a bit when I see posts like this. I guess everything is relative. #2017Model3FTW

My car is supposedly eligible, but they ran out of parts. I tried to reschedule and was told they weren't doing them yet. So I wait. VIN 001986
Thanks Az. I hope we get the upgrade soon. Do you think it depends on VIN numbers?