Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently they can not be- because Tesla has added code to specifically prevent it from working.

Green cites the specific lines of code in the earlier link I posted.

Essentially if it detects the HW2.0 stuff it just errors out.

So.... In order to keep their promise to HW2.0 owners with FSD that they'd get HW3 Tesla will need to do one (or more than one) of the following:

1) Remove that blocking code

2) Add in other code that makes it "work safety and correctly" whatever that entails

3) Come up with some kinda wiring harness that lets HW3 plug into and work correctly with, the AP2.0 radar.

4) Do some kind of change, HW or SW is unknown, to the cameras to deal with the input on them being different

There's, rough ballpark, around 75,000 owners in this group based on Tesla sales in the period HW2.0 was shipping... dunno what % has FSD though.

~75 million in refunds if it's say 1/3rd of em and they couldn't deliver. Probably enough that it's worth them finding a way to make it work.... but I'd expect they'll be last in line given they'll need more done.

I think you are stating the facts correctly (and I do understand the 2.0 to 2.5 camera/harness upgrade difficulty) ... BUT ... what about Tesla’s responsibility to deliver what was purchased over 2 years ago? I bought my S90D based on features promised in their (now infamous) FSD sales demo video. For those on this forum that weren’t buying in late 2016 please understand that we bought based on the website specs and video demonstrating full self driving awaiting only “final validation and regulatory approval”.

Tesla is approaching the point where they will need to offer sweet trade in value for owners in this position or buy back our non-conforming vehicles.

Not yet - I'm probably months away still as I was a December 2018 delivery. My VIN is 080XXX..

Did you get your HW3 upgrade already ??
Not yet 046xxx we’re both pretty low. I made an appointment to have it installed and got a phone call stating that I can’t make an appointment, they’ll call me. They did say it’s starting to roll out in New England. Stay tuned buddy.

I think you are stating the facts correctly (and I do understand the 2.0 to 2.5 camera/harness upgrade difficulty) ... BUT ... what about Tesla’s responsibility to deliver what was purchased over 2 years ago? I bought my S90D based on features promised in their (now infamous) FSD sales demo video. For those on this forum that weren’t buying in late 2016 please understand that we bought based on the website specs and video demonstrating full self driving awaiting only “final validation and regulatory approval”.

Tesla is approaching the point where they will need to offer sweet trade in value for owners in this position or buy back our non-conforming vehicles.

For what little it's worth I'm absolutely rooting for them to get this worked out, and sooner than later- I'm not in the group you are- but that group of people kept the company alive long enough for my 2018 Model 3 to exist and I very much recognize and appreciate that fact.

Getting it to work on AP2.0 cars is the best (though not easiest) solution and the one I hope they figure out.

Refunding FSD is the "easiest" but worst solution likely to lead to a slew of legal action Tesla does not want or need.

Allow sweetheart trades for 2.5/3 cars is the most complex AND likely most expensive solution (and has its own one-off issues like folks who got PPF or other mods wanting those to go to the new car, etc)- and probably still doesn't prevent lawsuits from many who want what was actually promised for THEIR car.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Dropped off my car today to get retrofitted :)

I used the app to do an appointment because I wasn't about to wait for them to contact me.. time travel would be in it's beta stages before they even get to voluntarily calling me for the retrofit. After scheduling through the app, I got a text a few days later regarding my HW3 retrofit inquiry and they confirmed it.

• VIN is 58XXX built in May 2018
  • MCU2 AP2.5
  • FSD was purchased AFTER delivery on March 2019
  • Appointment was at Pomona SC

Will check back in to let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Dropped off my car today to get retrofitted :)

I used the app to do an appointment because I wasn't about to wait for them to contact me.. time travel would be in it's beta stages before they even get to voluntarily calling me for the retrofit. After scheduling through the app, I got a text a few days later regarding my HW3 retrofit inquiry and they confirmed it.

• VIN is 258XXX built in May 2018
  • MCU2 AP2.5
  • FSD was purchased AFTER delivery on March 2019
  • Appointment was at Pomona SC

Will check back in to let you know how it goes.

Did you maybe put an extra X in that VIN? 250,000+ would be MUCH later than May 2018....they didn't even get over 100k until August of 2018.

Probably an S.

Nope- looks like he added a 2 at the start and has since removed it via edit- so VIN was actually 58XXX which makes some more sense.... my own is 64XXX with an August 2018 build....so his is both the highest 3 VIN I've seen get it done and the nearest to mine... suppose I ought think about trying to schedule an appointment soonish to see what happens.

(assuming they don't later cancel his- as I think at least one guy had happen after confirmation)

Nope- looks like he added a 2 at the start and has since removed it via edit- so VIN was actually 58XXX which makes some more sense.... my own is 64XXX with an August 2018 build....so his is both the highest 3 VIN I've seen get it done and the nearest to mine... suppose I ought think about trying to schedule an appointment soonish to see what happens.

(assuming they don't later cancel his- as I think at least one guy had happen after confirmation)

My VIN is 12,6xx and I’m over here trying to find something broken on my car to get it in to the SC.

Fortunately I’ll be out of the country for a month which means my retrofit will be available about an hour after my departure.

So.... In order to keep their promise to HW2.0 owners with FSD that they'd get HW3 Tesla will need to do one (or more than one) of the following:

1) Remove that blocking code

2) Add in other code that makes it "work safety and correctly" whatever that entails

3) Come up with some kinda wiring harness that lets HW3 plug into and work correctly with, the AP2.0 radar.

4) Do some kind of change, HW or SW is unknown, to the cameras to deal with the input on them being different

More likely:
  1. Create an alternative set of models that work correctly in greyscale cameras.
  2. Remove that code and replace it with code that chooses the correct set of models.
  3. Tweak the software so that the RADAR data from the single output is provided to both sides of the AP hardware.
Or alternatively:
  1. Upgrade all of the cameras.
  2. Tweak the software so that the RADAR data from the single output is provided to both sides of the AP hardware.
Either way.

• Informative

To clarify, It is a Model S. Sorry, I just assumed it was understood given my avatar and signature but then I realized lots of people here have multiple Teslas. I don't know if they will cancel but my car is at the service center as I'm typing this and I've been getting "Software Available" text notifications. I guess we'll see!

It doesn't hurt to schedule an appointment. You should get a follow-up from the tech informing you if they can or cannot do the service.

Create an alternative set of models that work correctly in greyscale cameras.

Think the system could know with 100% confidence whether traffic lights such as those are red or green?

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 2.59.38 PM.jpeg

• Informative
Just got a call unprompted from SC that they are ready to install my HW3.0 and scheduled mine for January 9. They said they'll need to car overnight so must be more work for my early VIN. Out of town until that week unfortunately or I would have scheduled it sooner. Will report back

LR RWD
Vin# 31xxx
SF Bay Area

Update. My car has been at the SC since last Thursday 1/9 for the upgrade to 3.0. This has not been a confidence building process with only cryptic updates and little guidance on what is going on and when I’ll get my car back. I was told that the hardware install was expected to be complete today and that hopefully the SW install will be done tomorrow. Mine was a May 2018 build so as has been reported elsewhere it may be a bit more involved for these early builds.

3 working days and counting. Luckily I didn’t need the car this weekend. I just miss it. Will report back.

Update. My car has been at the SC since last Thursday 1/9 for the upgrade to 3.0. This has not been a confidence building process with only cryptic updates and little guidance on what is going on and when I’ll get my car back. I was told that the hardware install was expected to be complete today and that hopefully the SW install will be done tomorrow. Mine was a May 2018 build so as has been reported elsewhere it may be a bit more involved for these early builds.

3 working days and counting. Luckily I didn’t need the car this weekend. I just miss it. Will report back.

Thanks for the update..