Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why everyone here is saying to ask. Do not do this, they are super tired of hearing everyone say that.

From my own personal experience with trying to get the rear spoiler for my Model 3 Performance, I don't have confidence in relying on the Rocklin, CA SC to call me. When I took delivery, I was told the rear spoiler and Dual Motor badge was not available and the SC (Rocklin, where I took delivery) would call me. After waiting about 7 months and seeing multiple people post about getting the rear spoilers, I finally decided to call and ask. I was told by the Rocklin SC that there was no list of people waiting for spoilers and they do not call the customers waiting for the spoilers either. They told me it was up to me to call to see if they were available.....This is the reason I asked about the HW3 upgrade...

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
From my own personal experience with trying to get the rear spoiler for my Model 3 Performance, I don't have confidence in relying on the Rocklin, CA SC to call me. When I took delivery, I was told the rear spoiler and Dual Motor badge was not available and the SC (Rocklin, where I took delivery) would call me. After waiting about 7 months and seeing multiple people post about getting the rear spoilers, I finally decided to call and ask. I was told by the Rocklin SC that there was no list of people waiting for spoilers and they do not call the customers waiting for the spoilers either. They told me it was up to me to call to see if they were available.....This is the reason I asked about the HW3 upgrade...

this is the same point I made when some else said to let them call you.... they never called or reached out or emailed or nothing. Again I would say every few weeks or so it’s ok to ask if you can have it done. Hell like Tesla joy, they didn’t call her about her FSD upgrade she just happened to ask about it when coming in for another very minor issue which everyone was experiencing. They did it. It does hurt to ask like you stayed but for people that continues to say just wait until they call, if I took that approach I would still NOT have my spoiler, badging, or having the things fixed they said they would at delivery. Again don’t be rude when asking, but asking should NOT be an issue.

Not only I have a AP 2.5 and it's the same problem the problem is the MCU1 not AP

No, it's not.

As I mention Green has actually done the upgrade.

AP2.0 is the problem, not MCU1.

green on Twitter

That's HW3 on his MCU1/AP2.5 car. Working perfectly.

It does not work with AP2.0 Regardless of MCU.

green on Twitter

I am pretty sure hw3 currently won't work in hw2.0 cars for pure software reasons.

he then cites the actual lines of code that tell it not to work if it detects AP2.0 color filters.

He's been suggesting this exact problem will exist for a while-

green on Twitter

greentheonly said:
for those unaware, HW2.0 and HW3 sensors are different. Different camera color filters, different radar type (with different harness making retrofitting new radar very hard)

Certainly Tesla might figure out how to make it work and remove the code currently blocking it- but TODAY HW3 doesn't work on AP2.0 cars.

But DOES work on MCU1/AP2.5 cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tholland
For anyone not aware of the AP2/2.5/3 hardware differences, here's a guide

Basically sensors are the same from HW2.5 and HW3. Processors are different across all 3 different versions and that's what this FSD computer is, a upgrade in processing power not sensors.

But DOES work on MCU1/AP2.5 cars.

Maybe we are all missing one another here; I don’t think I’ve seen anyone dispute this assertion here. What we are saying is that there isn't much evidence that Tesla is doing any installs on MCU1 cars right now. I’m happy that some guy made it work on the Internet but Tesla is who counts in terms of getting it into my car.

Last edited:
Nope.

MCU1 is fine per greentheonly.

Has @greentheonly actually installed any software updates since upgrading? There was a report a few months ago that somebody had gotten the upgrade installed, and it worked fine, but the car refused to install any firmware updates afterwards, and as a result, the Tesla service center ended up downgrading the car back to AP2.5.

That could just be a software bug (e.g. not having a firmware image for that combination of hardware), but it could also be the case that the MCU1's 8 GB flash part isn't big enough to hold two copies of the MCU firmware plus a compressed firmware bundle with both the MCU firmware and the larger AP3 firmware.

Please let us know what they say ....
Yeah, no. She asked if I had gotten an email or why I was asking if I could get the FSD computer. I said that I had heard people with low VINs were getting the computer installed as they came in for appts. She said they just do the installs when they auto-populate the repair. I did experience this when my charge port was replaced in a previous repair. I didn't have any issues with it, but they knew it needed to be done. So this time they just swapped my driver's side camera and let me pick it up.

I do remember that Elon had spoken of trying to move to a world where they can take a car in and have it back to you the same day, so good on you. I do kinda miss the rental Tesla, Mercedes, or Jaguar's that I have had in the past. Not a fan of Uber, but she said they used to do Lyft and don't do it anymore, so there must have been an issue. Certainly cheaper than calling a cab, quicker than taking a bus. I wonder if they still have Enterprise on-site or if they just do all their repairs in a timely fashion now.

Yeah, no. She asked if I had gotten an email or why I was asking if I could get the FSD computer. I said that I had heard people with low VINs were getting the computer installed as they came in for appts. She said they just do the installs when they auto-populate the repair. I did experience this when my charge port was replaced in a previous repair. I didn't have any issues with it, but they knew it needed to be done. So this time they just swapped my driver's side camera and let me pick it up.

Thanks for the update - much appreciated !!

Reactions: hcdavis3
[

Yup.

He's also since done an MCU2 upgrade (and had no issues getting updates after that either)

Only combo he's found doesn't work at all is AP2.0 sensors with HW3 computer- MCU doesn't appear to matter.

So, let me get this straight, S or X cars with HW2.0 cannot be upgraded to HW3 given the sensor/camera incompatibility regardless of whether or not they paid for FSD? Has this been confirmed by other sources or better yet Tesla?

So, let me get this straight, S or X cars with HW2.0 cannot be upgraded to HW3 given the sensor/camera incompatibility regardless of whether or not they paid for FSD? Has this been confirmed by other sources or better yet Tesla?

Currently they can not be- because Tesla has added code to specifically prevent it from working.

Green cites the specific lines of code in the earlier link I posted.

Essentially if it detects the HW2.0 stuff it just errors out.

HW2.0 has different radar, with different connectors/wiring, and the camera color filters are different as well.

That's all we currently know as facts.

What we can conclude from that as the most likely case is this:

If that code wasn't there- HW3 would work in a way that was actively dangerous. (otherwise why put the code in? if it just errored out and didn't work anyway you wouldn't need to extra code to actively block this combo)

So.... In order to keep their promise to HW2.0 owners with FSD that they'd get HW3 Tesla will need to do one (or more than one) of the following:

1) Remove that blocking code

2) Add in other code that makes it "work safety and correctly" whatever that entails

3) Come up with some kinda wiring harness that lets HW3 plug into and work correctly with, the AP2.0 radar.

4) Do some kind of change, HW or SW is unknown, to the cameras to deal with the input on them being different

There's, rough ballpark, around 75,000 owners in this group based on Tesla sales in the period HW2.0 was shipping... dunno what % has FSD though.

~75 million in refunds if it's say 1/3rd of em and they couldn't deliver. Probably enough that it's worth them finding a way to make it work.... but I'd expect they'll be last in line given they'll need more done.

Currently they can not be- because Tesla has added code to specifically prevent it from working.

Green cites the specific lines of code in the earlier link I posted.

Essentially if it detects the HW2.0 stuff it just errors out.

HW2.0 has different radar, with different connectors/wiring, and the camera color filters are different as well.

That's all we currently know as facts.

What we can conclude from that as the most likely case is this:

If that code wasn't there- HW3 would work in a way that was actively dangerous. (otherwise why put the code in? if it just errored out and didn't work anyway you wouldn't need to extra code to actively block this combo)

So.... In order to keep their promise to HW2.0 owners with FSD that they'd get HW3 Tesla will need to do one (or more than one) of the following:

1) Remove that blocking code

2) Add in other code that makes it "work safety and correctly" whatever that entails

3) Come up with some kinda wiring harness that lets HW3 plug into and work correctly with, the AP2.0 radar.

4) Do some kind of change, HW or SW is unknown, to the cameras to deal with the input on them being different

There's, rough ballpark, around 75,000 owners in this group based on Tesla sales in the period HW2.0 was shipping... dunno what % has FSD though.

~75 million in refunds if it's say 1/3rd of em and they couldn't deliver. Probably enough that it's worth them finding a way to make it work.... but I'd expect they'll be last in line given they'll need more done.

Bummer. My X falls squarely in that group. June 2017 100D with FSD purchased at ordering. You are right. Waiting is in my future. I have confidence they’ll make it right though. On my P3D, they refunded us the Performance upgrade after the price drop without much hassle.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia