Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a theory on what's going on with this salvage M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am obviously a know-nothing when it comes to car repair, but the body of the car looks pretty perfect to me, and I can't see any obvious flood damage or other obvious reason for a salvage title - and am I wrong in thinking it might be a P3? It's basically new so this thing is a real mystery to me. I'm not going to bid on it or anything, just can't figure out what the deal is here.

https://www.copart.com/lot/31103519

a 2018 with 49 miles and with minor dents and scratches....must have been something else not mentioned. If you click on the Document type it says "branded salvaged if repaired". So there was more going on than the minor dents and scratches seen.

I am obviously a know-nothing when it comes to car repair, but the body of the car looks pretty perfect to me, and I can't see any obvious flood damage or other obvious reason for a salvage title - and am I wrong in thinking it might be a P3? It's basically new so this thing is a real mystery to me. I'm not going to bid on it or anything, just can't figure out what the deal is here.

https://www.copart.com/lot/31103519

It certainly appears to be a (2018) P3D+. I wonder if it has FSD?

Obviously since it's at auction it will now have a branded title. So some loss of value due to that.

No idea on the damage. It's possible with that damage that there is also some damage to the battery.

There is a dent in the steel rocker panel. Obviously the aluminum driver door is also damaged. That's probably $10k damage or so. If the battery were dented and Tesla would not recertify it, then you're looking at $25k or so (I think it was $15k or so for battery replacement - can't remember whether that includes labor).

If there is any damage to the battery Tesla would not recertify it. And I'm not sure what are the implications of that.

Obviously the auction price for this vehicle is going to end up being pretty high - once people know the damage, they'll probably bid it pretty high.

So overall, it may well have been cheaper for the insurance company to total it than repair it. So it's totaled.

Why a 2018 with 49 miles...now...I don't know. Maybe it was Tesla's? I can't find any info on the sales history without the VIN.

I'm not sure where that estimated retail value of $63k is coming from. (It's obviously a silly number.)

Last edited:
Red calipers, no spoiler, no badge, 20 inch rims, manufacture date of 10/18. That's a Performance, for sure.

It's in pristine physical condition and it's noted that it can drive, so whoever buys it can probably make their money back easily by parting it out.

It is curious because, at only 49 miles, I can't imagine it was lemon lawed.

Maybe it was Tesla's? I can't find any info on the sales history without the VIN.
Did you see this?
upload_2019-8-16_20-54-51.png

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
the picture on the rocker panel looks like mud to me. I am no expert at all, but I suspect it might have been flooded / and or damage to the battery.
I’m not seeing “mud”. It appears like he slid into a curb, jumped it and, as has been speculated, damaged the battery floor. That would pretty much, toast the vehicle. My main concern is battery damage, which contradicts “drivable “.

My guess is that it was damaged in transport (aka fell off the truck) and the transport company or their insurance decided it was better to just pay for the car and scrap it than fix it. I would also guess there is more damage than is readily visible in the pictures.

Unless you happened to to have immediate access to the resources to get this car operating no matter what is wrong with it and also not care about OTA, I can’t see the venture ever being worth it.

Time, effort, stress - they all carry opportunity costs.

Do what you are good at, to trade for things you are not as good at.

With that said, I'd love to see who is good enough at rehabilitating Tesla's to make this this a profitable project. :D