Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have their 3rd row seat break on them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was just unloading groceries and pressed the button to flip the third row back up when I hear a loud snap/crack. After that sound, I'm unable to move the seat. It's stuck flat, in a locked position. The button still makes a noise and allows me to fold/unfold the headrest, but the seat itself is locked in a flat position.

I'm guessing that loud snap broke something, but I'm not sure what.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, how long did it take for the SC to fix the issue? I'm hoping the part isn't super back-ordered, as it's nice to have a third row and I'll need the seating within 2 months or so. How was the experience of fixing this issue?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and P85_DA
So I was just unloading groceries and pressed the button to flip the third row back up when I hear a loud snap/crack. After that sound, I'm unable to move the seat. It's stuck flat, in a locked position. The button still makes a noise and allows me to fold/unfold the headrest, but the seat itself is locked in a flat position.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, how long did it take for the SC to fix the issue? I'm hoping the part isn't super back-ordered, as it's nice to have a third row and I'll need the seating within 2 months or so. How was the experience of fixing this issue?
I had a problem with the 3rd row with one of the seats and could not get one side to go down. It was on a roadtrip. Kind of sucked. This was a Sig 2016 X. They replaced some parts. Here is the order.
71vLBJh.jpg

I had my 3rd row seat fail in the up position in 2016. It was a failed latch motor but the whole 3rd row (both seats) had to be replaced as a single unit.
It's held in place by 8 bolts. A ranger replaced it in my garage in 45 min.

• Love
Reactions: TexasRat and P85_DA

I’m sorry to hear this has happened to you S well. My 2016 MX happened about 8 weeks ago and the SC said they had to order a new seat which was currently back ordered. I recommend getting in contact with your nearest SC to get your order in. I am still waiting for the seat and was told this past week hopefully in the next 5 weeks.

Hopefully it's something that can be repaired instead of replaced, but you never can tell. I'll reach out to the SC on Monday to see when they can take a look. I have an appointment already for this Friday, but I wonder if I should try to get seen earlier. Friday is for key fob.

Hopefully it's something that can be repaired instead of replaced, but you never can tell. I'll reach out to the SC on Monday to see when they can take a look. I have an appointment already for this Friday, but I wonder if I should try to get seen earlier. Friday is for key fob.

Mine required full seat replacement and a few weeks for seat to come in. Hope not so for you, they seem to still be in mode to replace entire pieces rather than fix inside parts. Definitely in issue and every time I put seat down I hold my breath next time I put it back up.

Another Model X Problem!!! 3rd row seat stuck in down position.

Thanks

Happened to my February 2018 build. Both seats stuck in down position. Spent a month waiting for parts. Ranger fixed it without parts. Hope it holds.

Wow, sorry this happened. I rarely use the 3rd row, but I did not have any issues bringing them back up again the few times I had used them (fingers crossed!). I heard a loud knock when I stopped at a stop sign yesterday; so loud that I almost jumped out of my seat! I parked the car to see what happened, but couldn't figure it out. It had to be something inside the car, hoping to avoid yet another SC visit!

What happened to your key fob? One of mine had to be replaced already! I still have a number of issues to get fixed and I am not even going to bother with some of the minor issues, just not worth the time! They always seem to break something whenever I take it in for an unrelated issue!!

Hope your seat issue will be a quick fix, good luck!

Wow, sorry this happened. I rarely use the 3rd row, but I did not have any issues bringing them back up again the few times I had used them (fingers crossed!). I heard a loud knock when I stopped at a stop sign yesterday; so loud that I almost jumped out of my seat! I parked the car to see what happened, but couldn't figure it out. It had to be something inside the car, hoping to avoid yet another SC visit!

What happened to your key fob? One of mine had to be replaced already! I still have a number of issues to get fixed and I am not even going to bother with some of the minor issues, just not worth the time! They always seem to break something whenever I take it in for an unrelated issue!!

Hope your seat issue will be a quick fix, good luck!
My key fob needs to be reprogrammed because the car thinks it's closer than it is. My door randomly opens and the car will not auto lock even when the fob is 20ft+ away. It's only one of them, so it hasn't been a deal breaker for me yet. Now that I have a second issue, I have a greater sense of urgency. I use the third rows all the time.

I stopped by at the SC today last minute to see if they could identify what's going on in case they needed to order parts. Individual parts are all on back-order. They believe it's possible to fix the issue without parts, as they said a common issue is that the connectors/cables that attach the button to the latch mechanism can pop off, but they're not broken. A possible fix would be to re-attach them and then add something to it to ensure it doesn't separate again.

They're going to keep my appointment on Friday (assuming I can get a loaner, it looks crazy busy there) and see if they can take apart my seat to do that. Here's hoping that the carpet-backed seat doesn't get damaged in the process. They were going to order a bunch of different parts to do a replacement, but I don't think they can acquire everything right now.

Best case scenario is that they take it off, fix the issue and put everything back and it's as good as new. Worst case scenario is that it's busted and they damaged the seat back so now I need replacements that may take months to get. Let's hope for the former :) First let's hope that they can actually get me a loaner for Friday so they can work on my car. They said they have 21 cars in line for service right now and are expecting 10 more tomorrow. Doesn't look good, those guys are busy :/

I'll update this when I know more.

Reactions: bayx and P85_DA
I stopped by at the SC today last minute to see if they could identify what's going on in case they needed to order parts. Individual parts are all on back-order. They believe it's possible to fix the issue without parts, as they said a common issue is that the connectors/cables that attach the button to the latch mechanism can pop off, but they're not broken. A possible fix would be to re-attach them and then add something to it to ensure it doesn't separate again.

They're going to keep my appointment on Friday (assuming I can get a loaner, it looks crazy busy there) and see if they can take apart my seat to do that. Here's hoping that the carpet-backed seat doesn't get damaged in the process. They were going to order a bunch of different parts to do a replacement, but I don't think they can acquire everything right now.

Best case scenario is that they take it off, fix the issue and put everything back and it's as good as new. Worst case scenario is that it's busted and they damaged the seat back so now I need replacements that may take months to get. Let's hope for the former :) First let's hope that they can actually get me a loaner for Friday so they can work on my car. They said they have 21 cars in line for service right now and are expecting 10 more tomorrow. Doesn't look good, those guys are busy :/

I'll update this when I know more.

I wonder how many of those 21 are truly for service as opposed to cars needing issues fixed that should have been done at the factory!;)

Good luck, hope they can fix it without needing parts!

Dropped the car off this morning. Wasn't sure if I'd get a loaner, but they put me in an S 85. Few years old, but it's alright. Tesla loaner better than no tesla loaner. They told me that I'm here too often and that they'll try their best to get me out today. There were like 10 - 15 cars in front of me.

They told me like 30 min after dropping it off that they bumped me to the front of the line and were working on my car. They managed to fix the issue of the seat by reconnecting the cable to the actuator...sometimes they said it can get disconnected and that's why it didn't work. They had to just take off the carpet seat back and get into it. They were able to put everything back together and it all works fine.

Then they were reprogramming my key fobs and instead of just reprogramming an existing one that was "defective" they somehow managed to get a new one to replace my key fob! I know they were super short on supply so I feel really lucky about that! All in all, it was a great one-day adventure to the SC!

I think being polite goes a long way! They did a great job and I made sure they knew it.

Odd observations:
1) I do probably go there more than I should. A handful of people always there know me by name. I know them by name too :D
2) This was my first time in an S. I looked like an idiot. I was standing outside of the car for 1 minute thinking ... "wtf why isn't this door self-presenting!"? then I realized "oh yeah ... it's an S". 30 seconds later I'm in the car, tapping the brake and thinking "wtf why isn't this door closing!"? then I realized "oh yeah ... it's an S". Needless to say, I love my X! The S is more fun to drive, but the X has it beat in just about every other category. When it comes to creature comforts, I am in love with the X. Driving the S today made me realize I 100% made the right decision to go with the X.

They managed to fix the issue of the seat by reconnecting the cable to the actuator...sometimes they said it can get disconnected and that's why it didn't work. They had to just take off the carpet seat back and get into it.

Anyone happens to know how you remove that carpet? Got a stuck seat issue and I’d like to check if it’s just a loose cable and I can fix it myself.

Anyone happens to know how you remove that carpet? Got a stuck seat issue and I’d like to check if it’s just a loose cable and I can fix it myself.
I have an Aug 2016 build so it may be different now. I seem to remember the Ranger just gently prying and pulling off the seat backs. They were held in with clips, I believe. I do remember that no special tools were required, and they were removed quite quickly.