Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in the UK 'upgraded' their Model Y suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've pondered whether this si the reason they didn't build a hatchback first ... easier to build the M3 and get good reviews - e.g. grunt & road-holding - whereas the taller hatchback was always going to be a compromise on that (or, if not compromise, then "marmite")

I have no idea on this, but would the price be significantly higher for Air?
Would entirely depend on what Tesla's margins are and what they're prepared to lose on it relative to how many sales they think they'll lose.

It was interesting that they introduced powered boots to the car. Obviously that cost them more money to do, but perhaps not that much in the grand scheme of things. Clearly they felt they would lose more car sales not having it.

By the same token, if talk of Model Y suspension inadequacies dominates reviews and mindshare generally, they might be inclined to do something about it. It's possible it might not happen for some time, though.

Do you mean to say introduced in the general sense? My other cars had powered boots even in 2011
No, I mean specifically to the Model 3. It was launched in 2018 and didn't get a powered boot until late 2020. One presumes that there was an element of pressure on Tesla in terms of people's expectations of cars at that price point, i.e. other cars deemed to be competitive had it, etc.

I think there's an above average chance that the same thing will happen with the MY suspension, that Tesla will receive enough negative feedback, or see it reported enough times in reviews to the point where they think it might be affecting sales, and then re-evaluate it.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Hi All
We are 1000+ miles into the Model Y (it's our 4th EV, but our first Tesla).
I'm finding the ride to be AWFUL. Very jarring, jolting, skipping etc.. Is it a Bad car? Am I the only one with the issue? :confused:
I can't believe I'm even contemplating upgrading the suspension (or even selling it!). I'm very competent and happy to carry out any suspension work/Swap myself...(and inform the insurance company of course before someone shouts.. ). Has anyone upgraded in the UK (I say UK as the roads here are a delight.. not smooth.. more a series of short infills that kind of merge together to form a surface akin to the surface of a mogul field )

But it's a Brand New Car! Why is it so bad? Our MGZSEV was better.. in fact, my Renault Kangoo ZE van is better on the road!! That's no exaggeration! I'm struggling to think of a worse car that we have owned (perhaps an R53 race suspension Mini Cooper?). I'm even thinking about asking Tesla if I can test drive another Y as the one we test drove before we got it did not appear to be as bad??
So I'm a bit mystified? I LOVE virtually all other aspects of the vehicle.
All suggestions are very much appreciated.. 👍
Hi All
We are 1000+ miles into the Model Y (it's our 4th EV, but our first Tesla).
I'm finding the ride to be AWFUL. Very jarring, jolting, skipping etc.. Is it a Bad car? Am I the only one with the issue? :confused:
I can't believe I'm even contemplating upgrading the suspension (or even selling it!). I'm very competent and happy to carry out any suspension work/Swap myself...(and inform the insurance company of course before someone shouts.. ). Has anyone upgraded in the UK (I say UK as the roads here are a delight.. not smooth.. more a series of short infills that kind of merge together to form a surface akin to the surface of a mogul field )

But it's a Brand New Car! Why is it so bad? Our MGZSEV was better.. in fact, my Renault Kangoo ZE van is better on the road!! That's no exaggeration! I'm struggling to think of a worse car that we have owned (perhaps an R53 race suspension Mini Cooper?). I'm even thinking about asking Tesla if I can test drive another Y as the one we test drove before we got it did not appear to be as bad??
So I'm a bit mystified? I LOVE virtually all other aspects of the vehicle.
All suggestions are very much appreciated.. 👍
I couldn’t agree more. We’ve had our MYLR for a month and only been able to drive it a few times because the car was immediately returned a Tesla for very many paint defects to be corrected.
Forget using the car on rural roads, the suspension is so hard even running the tires at 41 psi (if much lower, the TPMS warning goes off at 38psi), it is tiring and nauseating to drive steadily. I haven’t found a road or motorway road yet (Rutland and Leicestershire) smooth enough to iron out the ride. And yes, this is my fourth Tesla, being an early adopter in a Model S with steel springs, which was a beautiful very precise and connected ride made slightly rubbery with my next S that had air suspension This was finally cured totally with my model X performance “raven suspension” car with adaptive air suspension which I thought was frankly better than my three-year-old range Rover Autobiography, so yes I do know what I’m talking about!

I could also criticised the lack of regeneration control which even on chill mode, while being driven on a bumpy road can cause your Excelerator pedal to move excessively making the car feel like a bucking bronco.

If you decide to drive on a undulating road with the occasional pothole, shall we say, “enthusiastically“, you also have the effect of over geared steering causing tiny movements of the steering wheel to cause the vehicle to lurch across the road. Bring all of this together and it is simply the most dreadful car I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning. I so badly want to like the car from an economical point of view and I’m a Tesla fan with Powerwall and one of the first solar slate installations in the country.

It’s probably not fair to make comparisons but we’ve had a golf for three years with 20,000 miles and while lacking in some of the technological advancement and obviously reduced battery range, the ride is so superior in every regard, you actually can’t make a direct comparison. It’s just a completely different driving experience.

And no, I did not see, touch or drive the model Y before I paid for it in full. Someone say “then it’s your own fault for being daft and you should’ve tried it first“, but how do you account for the three other teslas that I’ve owned, albeit different models that I’ve been sublime.

Tesla just need to admit they’ve made a mistake. The car in many regards is simply not calibrated for the UK, maybe even European type of roads. There is a company in the offering aftermarket coilovers for about £3500 allowing 30 clicks of absorption/rebound adjustment and minor height adjustment although the height thing isn’t particularly important to me. Apparently your car warranty will remain intact apart from the suspension elements which is better than voiding the warranty on the entire car. But why should I have to pay for that?

For anyone that says I’m being oversensitive, I’ll throw it back that you’ve just not driven a properly set up car before, which is a shame because there is just no excuse for this poor level of ride.

I’m currently waiting for Tesla to respond. Ultimately I want my money back and I’ll have another model S, even though the form factor doesn’t suit me.

I would be interested again if the model Y was available with air suspension, the ability to reduce the level of regen so it doesn’t feel like you’re slamming on the brakes when you try and anticipate and coast up to a roundabout or junction and the ability to change electronically the gearing on the steering. Two turns lock to lock is ridiculous for a car with an overly large turning circle compared to other vehicles in the same class.

If you’ve ordered a model Y without much of a roadtest and time behind the wheel and are currently familiar with other premium ICE cars or other heavy electric cars that already have a good ride, I wish you luck!

You can bet that VW aren't spending a small fortune fitting luxurious suspension components to their mid range cars.

What they will have done, which Tesla patently aren't doing generally anyway, is tweak the car for a particular market. It may even be the case that the suspension hardware on the Golf you mention is decent enough that it can be used worldwide, with slight adjustment for different markets. You need only look at the state of matrix lights in Europe and other things to see that the US market is the singular focus of Tesla, in so far as R&D goes.

As much as it pains me to say it, the 3 and the Y are built down to a cost. The S and X were (and are) show pieces, Tesla's "look what we can do" cars. Obviously they have price tags that reflect this, but they were unrestrained in their design and development. I don't know if that is necessarily the case for the Plaid versions coming out soon, but given that they're replacing existing models with that tech, and the price points involved, I'd be surprised if they weren't. So, Tesla is capable of designing cars with compliant suspension, they just haven't bothered on the Y because they didn't feel like they needed to, and wanted to make more money in margin instead.

That's why, same as with the powered boot, I think Tesla will ultimately make tweaks to the Y suspension hardware. It might take more and more competing vehicles to appear on the market, and also for customers like you to actually put your money where your mouth is and return them, but I think it'll happen.

I couldn’t agree more. We’ve had our MYLR for a month and only been able to drive it a few times because the car was immediately returned a Tesla for very many paint defects to be corrected.
Forget using the car on rural roads, the suspension is so hard even running the tires at 41 psi (if much lower, the TPMS warning goes off at 38psi), it is tiring and nauseating to drive steadily. I haven’t found a road or motorway road yet (Rutland and Leicestershire) smooth enough to iron out the ride. And yes, this is my fourth Tesla, being an early adopter in a Model S with steel springs, which was a beautiful very precise and connected ride made slightly rubbery with my next S that had air suspension This was finally cured totally with my model X performance “raven suspension” car with adaptive air suspension which I thought was frankly better than my three-year-old range Rover Autobiography, so yes I do know what I’m talking about!

I could also criticised the lack of regeneration control which even on chill mode, while being driven on a bumpy road can cause your Excelerator pedal to move excessively making the car feel like a bucking bronco.

If you decide to drive on a undulating road with the occasional pothole, shall we say, “enthusiastically“, you also have the effect of over geared steering causing tiny movements of the steering wheel to cause the vehicle to lurch across the road. Bring all of this together and it is simply the most dreadful car I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning. I so badly want to like the car from an economical point of view and I’m a Tesla fan with Powerwall and one of the first solar slate installations in the country.

It’s probably not fair to make comparisons but we’ve had a golf for three years with 20,000 miles and while lacking in some of the technological advancement and obviously reduced battery range, the ride is so superior in every regard, you actually can’t make a direct comparison. It’s just a completely different driving experience.

And no, I did not see, touch or drive the model Y before I paid for it in full. Someone say “then it’s your own fault for being daft and you should’ve tried it first“, but how do you account for the three other teslas that I’ve owned, albeit different models that I’ve been sublime.

Tesla just need to admit they’ve made a mistake. The car in many regards is simply not calibrated for the UK, maybe even European type of roads. There is a company in the offering aftermarket coilovers for about £3500 allowing 30 clicks of absorption/rebound adjustment and minor height adjustment although the height thing isn’t particularly important to me. Apparently your car warranty will remain intact apart from the suspension elements which is better than voiding the warranty on the entire car. But why should I have to pay for that?

For anyone that says I’m being oversensitive, I’ll throw it back that you’ve just not driven a properly set up car before, which is a shame because there is just no excuse for this poor level of ride.

I’m currently waiting for Tesla to respond. Ultimately I want my money back and I’ll have another model S, even though the form factor doesn’t suit me.

I would be interested again if the model Y was available with air suspension, the ability to reduce the level of regen so it doesn’t feel like you’re slamming on the brakes when you try and anticipate and coast up to a roundabout or junction and the ability to change electronically the gearing on the steering. Two turns lock to lock is ridiculous for a car with an overly large turning circle compared to other vehicles in the same class.

If you’ve ordered a model Y without much of a roadtest and time behind the wheel and are currently familiar with other premium ICE cars or other heavy electric cars that already have a good ride, I wish you luck!
I feel for you as mine drives fine for me. Horses for courses I suppose. Good luck on getting a refund and a replacement.

I have just completed 5,000 miles on a 2-month old Model Y. This is my first Tesla after driving Audi and a BMW X5. The model Y suspension is alright and it appears like you personally prefer a soft suspension like the one on Kia EV6 or Citroën ë-c4 and a passenger car.

I have just completed 5,000 miles on a 2-month old Model Y. This is my first Tesla after driving Audi and a BMW X5. The model Y suspension is alright and it appears like you personally prefer a soft suspension like the one on Kia EV6 or Citroën ë-c4 and a passenger car.
How does it compare to the X5 on sports mode? I tend to prefer that as the comfort air suspension is like being a sea 🤢

💯 agree with you on this. I part-ex a MP3 that was 9 months old for a MYL and the bukaroo description you mentioned is so true I tend to notice your head bounces a lot of the seat even at low speeds and bumpy roads on one such trip my wife and myself actually started laughing at the comedy ride. Seriously though it’s the first time I’ve driven a car and thought wow that’s a stiff ride and that’s someone whose had E46 M3, Audi S3, RS3, RS6 etc etc but this model y is on another level. I do have the 20inch turbine wheels which maybe making it worse, I think after a while the ride doesn’t seem so bad but that’s not because it’s not bad it’s just you get use to it. I have a model X Plaid on order If/whenever it arrives in the UK and will be getting rid of this. It was mainly for the boot and space I traded the m3p but to me that car shook and Bounced a lot less than model y, it’s just the lack of boot that didn’t do it for me.

Even carwow agrees that model Y is the best despite not getting
How does it compare to the X5 on sports mode? I tend to prefer that as the comfort air suspension is like being a sea 🤢
Yes, don't like the X5 sports mode after driving a Tesla Model Y. My neighbour has an X5 M competition which was supposedly better (at twice the cost!) and took me for a test drive. As a passenger, the experience was terrifying especially in the corners while he as a driver enjoyed it. There are rattles and shakes etc but you don't hear them due to the engine noise (which sounds lovely!).

💯 agree with you on this. I part-ex a MP3 that was 9 months old for a MYL and the bukaroo description you mentioned is so true I tend to notice your head bounces a lot of the seat even at low speeds and bumpy roads on one such trip my wife and myself actually started laughing at the comedy ride. Seriously though it’s the first time I’ve driven a car and thought wow that’s a stiff ride and that’s someone whose had E46 M3, Audi S3, RS3, RS6 etc etc but this model y is on another level. I do have the 20inch turbine wheels which maybe making it worse, I think after a while the ride doesn’t seem so bad but that’s not because it’s not bad it’s just you get use to it. I have a model X Plaid on order If/whenever it arrives in the UK and will be getting rid of this. It was mainly for the boot and space I traded the m3p but to me that car shook and Bounced a lot less than model y, it’s just the lack of boot that didn’t do it for me.
You have to compare the ride against a similarly priced EQB, iX3 and so on. But then there is soft vs stiff suspension where traditional automakers assume that all SUV owners love a comfortable snail and not a fast horse. A model Y can get you, your family and all their things from A to B very quickly for cheap. An iX, EQS or model X could get you from A to B but you are paying the equivalent of a rail ticket for each drive. I drop my son (and all his kits) at 8:25 am on most days after starting at 8:00 am with MYLR (a 12-mile distance including M25). With an X5, it is impossible to cover this distance in 25 minutes so you have to ask a teenager to start before 8:00 am like 7:45 am (which is impossible!). Given a choice between waking up early and enjoying a comfortable drive to school or waking up late and having a sportier drive guess what the boys might choose?

You have to compare the ride against a similarly priced EQB, iX3 and so on. But then there is soft vs stiff suspension where traditional automakers assume that all SUV owners love a comfortable snail and not a fast horse. A model Y can get you, your family and all their things from A to B very quickly for cheap. An iX, EQS or model X could get you from A to B but you are paying the equivalent of a rail ticket for each drive. I drop my son (and all his kits) at 8:25 am on most days after starting at 8:00 am with MYLR (a 12-mile distance including M25). With an X5, it is impossible to cover this distance in 25 minutes so you have to ask a teenager to start before 8:00 am like 7:45 am (which is impossible!). Given a choice between waking up early and enjoying a comfortable drive to school or waking up late and having a sportier drive guess what the boys might choose?
Why can’t the X5 manage it in 25 minutes? Assuming ULEZ or something causing the route to be longer, or pre conditioning?

Why can’t the X5 manage it in 25 minutes? Assuming ULEZ or something causing the route to be longer, or pre conditioning?
There are some country roads (~ 5 miles) where you can drive up to 60mph, and on a Tesla, I can average 62mph with sports steering. With an X5, never had the confidence to go beyond 50mph on average so we would always reach the school after 8:30 am.

I really don't know what you expect from a relatively cheap middle priced car.
The suspension is stiff and the ride not great on poorly surfaced roads. But short of a Bentley Arnage nothing is great on our roads!
IMHO it is no worse than the 3 Model 3 s I have previously owned. In fact no worse than the Mercedes, and half a dozen BMWs I have owned. It is worse than the 2 or 3 Jaguars I owned but not as bad as 2 range rover evoques I also owned. It is not a luxury car. It is a Utility Vehicle!
Where it is better than most cars, including the Jags, I have owned is the seating and ride position.
At the end of the day you buy what ever car suits you, just get on with it, don't moan. I'm sure you will be able to sell your Y for what you paid for it. Just do that and join the queue for another vehicle.
I like the Model Y, it's good value and will satisfy many customers over the next few years. Yes there is room for improvement and room for paid for options to suit more individual idiosyncrasies.
What I do know is that this is the car that Tesla intended from the outset and it is a good job they have got there - it is everything a modern family needs and fills a much larger section of the market than the Models S, X and 3 could ever do.
No I am not a FanBoy and as soon as the Superchargers get opened up properly will move to another competitors brand, which I have always preferred because of better aesthetics and more user friendly interior.

Reactions: Toblerone
Yep either your car is an isolated case with a setup issue or something is wrong.

As above, check the tyre pressures when warm, and drop them to recommended PSI.

I have no issues with the ride and have owned everything from spine rearranging hot hatches to recently a refreshed model S with the premium air suspension which was an absolutely lovely barge but that suspension presented other issues.

I spent 9 hours +/- 15 mins the other day (of solid driving in two stints) doing a mix of M5, M4, M6 and B roads in the Y and with the seat adjusted right, it’s perfectly comfortable to me, and far more comfortable than it *ought* to be given how little it rolls… if that makes sense.

Casss, OP lives in Fife........ that far North, his tyres will never be warm :)