Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in the UK 'upgraded' their Model Y suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have fitted eibach springs.
I wanted them for the aesthetics more than improving the ride comfort, found the standard setup to be no worse or better than the Audi SQ5 we had previously.
Having had the springs fitted and full alignment carried out i can say it does make a difference. I feel the car handles better, yes it still feels the bumps, but no worse than i experienced on the standard springs. Even my wife was happy with the ride comfort on the Eibachs.
What was the impact to your insurance if you don’t mind me asking?

... it seems we call it porpoising nowadays! (Lewis Hamilton knows all about it!) :)
Lewis may not want to try this as regulations may not allow but we can try in our Tesla to see whether the porpoising is less with new modification McLaren has done!
1651052861687.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
... it seems we call it porpoising nowadays! (Lewis Hamilton knows all about it!) :)
Given his problem, you'd have thought he'd have done better in the rain really! :)

Just been out in mine and no thanks to this thread I've now noticed something I hadn't before and now can't unnotice it! It almost feels like the wheel base is a lot shorter than it actually is. Strange.

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Will be interesting to hear your post test drive perspective.
Well, I had my 30 minute test drive today. A Berlin-built MYP. Caveat for comparison: My M3LR is now 2 years old and has 31,000 miles so probably 'loose'. First impressions from the outside: Solid, well built (no out of proportion gaps), tall and looks like a luxury car. Inside: Seems more 'solid'. Seats are more comfortable, screen perhaps a slightly sharper image, much more room in front and back. Driving: The delivery of power is smooth but not much different to the 3. I would definitely say the noise from outside and the road is an order of magnitude less than my M3. I liked the car and I could easily convince myself to cough-up another £5000, cancel my M3P order and change for the YP...but...I'm pretty sure a 2022 M3 will now have the same build qualities as the Y and in my case, I don't need the extra space so I'll stick with my current order. However, when we come to change my wife's Disco next year, both of us are pretty sure it will be replaced by a Y.

Last edited:
Well, I had my 30 minute test drive today. A Berlin-built MYP. Caveat for comparison: My M3LR is now 2 years old and has 31,000 miles so probably 'loose'. First impressions from the outside: Solid, well built (no out of proportion gaps), tall and looks like a luxury car. Inside: Seems more 'solid'. Seats are more comfortable, screen perhaps a slightly sharper image, much more room in front and back. Driving: The delivery of power is smooth but not much different to the 3. I would definitely say the noise from outside and the road is an order of magnitude less than my M3. I liked the car and I could easily convince myself to cough-up another £5000, cancel my M3P order and change for the YP...but...I'm pretty sure a 2022 M3 will now have the same build qualities as the Y and in my case, I don't need the extra space so I'll stick with my current order. However, when we come to change my wife's Disco next year, both of us are pretty sure it will be replaced by a Y.
Thank you, that really puts my mind a bit more at rest about my MYP order.
I’m hoping it’ll come from Germany but slightly worried about build quality as it ramps up production… 🤞🏻

I have had two test drives of different MY LR, both on 19" rims. After the first test drive I thought the suspension was far too unforgiving leading to a hard a choppy ride. The cabin of the car also seemed to have alot of road noise inside at motorway speeds. The lack of parcel shelf and full glass roof won't help the acoustic situation. I know aftermarket products are available to retrofit eg parcel shelf and roof blind, and that is a route I plan to follow.

The second MY test drive was different to the first. I followed the same route, but the second car had more comfortable suspension and was much less choppy. Having read this thread, it could have been the tyre pressures that made a difference. Not sure that travel blocks would have been left in, but as someone pointed out, it may be worthwheil getting the suspension gyometry checked if not happy with the set up.

Hi All
We are 1000+ miles into the Model Y (it's our 4th EV, but our first Tesla).
I'm finding the ride to be AWFUL. Very jarring, jolting, skipping etc.. Is it a Bad car? Am I the only one with the issue? :confused:
I can't believe I'm even contemplating upgrading the suspension (or even selling it!). I'm very competent and happy to carry out any suspension work/Swap myself...(and inform the insurance company of course before someone shouts.. ). Has anyone upgraded in the UK (I say UK as the roads here are a delight.. not smooth.. more a series of short infills that kind of merge together to form a surface akin to the surface of a mogul field )

But it's a Brand New Car! Why is it so bad? Our MGZSEV was better.. in fact, my Renault Kangoo ZE van is better on the road!! That's no exaggeration! I'm struggling to think of a worse car that we have owned (perhaps an R53 race suspension Mini Cooper?). I'm even thinking about asking Tesla if I can test drive another Y as the one we test drove before we got it did not appear to be as bad??
So I'm a bit mystified? I LOVE virtually all other aspects of the vehicle.
All suggestions are very much appreciated.. 👍
May I ask ? What car did you own before the MY ?

The Y suspension is terrible, plain and simple. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't driving many luxury cars.
I beg to disagree !

My MY replaced a 2020 BMW X5 with adaptive dampers.
I prefer the ride in the MY, and even my teenage children commented that it’s way smoother.

The X5 , was in many ways an admirable car, but could often be “choppy”. It was always uncomfortable over speed bumps. The MY is pretty admirable in my opinion.

Reactions: Casss
I've just seen another post, and a video about this on another site...

And the more comments I see about this, the more strongly I feel that in some ways the Model Y (and more broadly, Tesla) are a victim of their own success. Clearly it's not causing them any issues in terms of sales but it's a continuation of this Tesla vs 'The world' trend that permeates video content right now, which probably sprang from the initial 0-60 comparison videos when Tesla started stunning the world by beating supercars with a saloon.

There are examples where Tesla genuinely punch above their weight in terms of comfort, but not at the expense of an engaging driving experience. Which is no mean feat. It's not perfect, but nothing is, just a great balance of compromises.

But people comparing the ride comfort of a Model Y to the latest EQS or S-Class Mercedes for example... It's just bonkers. Also, accepting the overall setup is firmer, and more dynamic than these barges that are designed purely to waft people about with does not mean it's "bad" for everyone, or even "uncomfortable" at all.

No one does this for other manufacturers because there would be no story, hence "victims of their own success" but still... no one does this for other manufacturers for a reason... because deep down most buyers now understand that expecting everything is just a contradiction with cars, so why do people expect the Model Y for instance to handle like an M competition car, but also provide armchair-level ride comfort like an S-class on top of everything else it does?

And the more comments I see about this, the more strongly I feel that in some ways the Model Y (and more broadly, Tesla) are a victim of their own success. Clearly it's not causing them any issues in terms of sales but it's a continuation of this Tesla vs 'The world' trend that permeates video content right now, which probably sprang from the initial 0-60 comparison videos when Tesla started stunning the world by beating supercars with a saloon.

There are examples where Tesla genuinely punch above their weight in terms of comfort, but not at the expense of an engaging driving experience. Which is no mean feat. It's not perfect, but nothing is, just a great balance of compromises.

But people comparing the ride comfort of a Model Y to the latest EQS or S-Class Mercedes for example... It's just bonkers. Also, accepting the overall setup is firmer, and more dynamic than these barges that are designed purely to waft people about with does not mean it's "bad" for everyone, or even "uncomfortable" at all
No one does this for other manufacturers because there would be no story, hence "victims of their own success" but still... no one does this for other manufacturers for a reason... because deep down most buyers now understand that expecting everything is just a contradiction with cars, so why do people expect the Model Y for instance to handle like an M competition car, but also provide armchair-level ride comfort like an S-class on top of everything else it does?
I think the ride vs handling debate is been there for many popular cars and the classic example is Rangerovers. They ride so well but there is a compromise in terms of their handling. People who go for Rangerovers do not expect the level of handling what they have it in a Macan/Cayenne etc.,The same logic applies to all BMWs and Audis - some excel in handling and some in ride comfort.

With Teslas there is no denying the fact that people want everything in their package irrespective of whether it is a S,3, X or Y. But if you pick 3 and Y there is an issue in relation to its ride comfort - the basic models not the Performance models with 20’. There are many threads related to this and I think what we see with 3 and Y is the classic porpoising and this is similar to what has been documented in the new F1 cars. It just bounces and that is because how the air flows and this is mainly related to the shape and the front and bottom design of the car. The aerodynamics of the 3 and Y help to improve the battery performance but a big downside to how it rides. So with EVs it is going to be Ride vs Handling Vs Aerodynamics or the more aerodynamic an EV, it is going to have a terrible ride.

Every car is not a Alfa to get the ride and handling perfect :) but then most of the time you will end up watching its beauty standing on the hard shoulder waiting for the next AA van!

Last edited:

But people comparing the ride comfort of a Model Y to the latest EQS or S-Class Mercedes for example... It's just bonkers. Also, accepting the overall setup is firmer, and more dynamic than these barges that are designed purely to waft people about with does not mean it's "bad" for everyone, or even "uncomfortable" at all.

I agree with a lot of this, but Tesla suspension is pretty unsophisticated and is a completely passive setup. There’s no adaptive dampers or other things that can be done to improve things, and the quality of the components seem more at the budget end. Expecting S Class wafting around is unrealistic as you suggest, but Tesla have only ever done a fairly basic coil set up or air suspension. I kind of think there’s a middle ground they could go for which would improve handling and ride.

Reactions: s88ats and Durzel
I agree with a lot of this, but Tesla suspension is pretty unsophisticated and is a completely passive setup. There’s no adaptive dampers or other things that can be done to improve things, and the quality of the components seem more at the budget end. Expecting S Class wafting around is unrealistic as you suggest, but Tesla have only ever done a fairly basic coil set up or air suspension. I kind of think there’s a middle ground they could go for which would improve handling and ride.
I pretty much agree with this.

I think it's a little disingenuous to say that people criticising Tesla / Model Y ride quality have expectations of S-class like refinement. That might be the case for some people, but others I suspect think more along the lines of @GeorgeSymonds, that given the price point and primary purpose as a family & things conveyance that you'd expect a reasonable level of sophistication and compliance.

I would caveat by saying I haven't driven a MY in any form, so can't speak from experience, but I was a little surprised to find that it didn't come with air suspension ala Model X. I sortof feel like it's the missing power boot all over again.. Tesla build the initial car down to a cost until they receive a critical mass of negative customer sentiment about "expectations at a price point", realise they need to include it, and start fitting them. I would not be at all surprised to find a facelift MY come with more active suspension.

Reactions: s88ats
the more comments I see about this, the more strongly I feel that in some ways the Model Y (and more broadly, Tesla) are a victim of their own success

I've pondered whether this si the reason they didn't build a hatchback first ... easier to build the M3 and get good reviews - e.g. grunt & road-holding - whereas the taller hatchback was always going to be a compromise on that (or, if not compromise, then "marmite")

I was a little surprised to find that it didn't come with air suspension ala Model X

I have no idea on this, but would the price be significantly higher for Air?