Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone LR AWDs Showing 322 Miles Fully Charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Total vehicle mileage is 108.5 mi, so is trip meter. Attached is the current Wh/mi over that distance and current SMT battery data. I'll let you crunch the numbers. Let me know if you need anything else.

As I said before, this experiment must be done as a separate trip (not perhaps the best timing - though in some ways it is since the traffic is light). It's not about the current vehicle mileage or your Wh/mi.

Basically, what happens is the trip meter only records energy use when you are not in Park. So:

Right after putting into drive, you record your rated miles.

You drive and use 100+ displayed rated miles, without stopping.

You record the distance traveled and the Wh/mi from the "Since xx:xx meter" - the first meter in the list (not a trip meter).

You record your rated miles at the end of the drive (immediately).

Then you log:
Rated miles used
Wh/mi on the meter
Distance traveled

As we've discussed, you may or may not be comfortable doing this at this time...though I don't think there's anything against the spirit of the shelter-in-place rules if you are going stir-crazy and just want to go for a drive, with no exposure to others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radman415
This will fix your issue. You're just on the old charging constant of 245Wh/rmi and a max energy of 76kWh. You'll be updated to 241Wh/rmi and 77.6kWh max energy (you'll likely have more than that; that is just the nominal maximum).

If you have a chance, it would be awesome to do a documented discharge event of over 100 rated miles (continuously, no stopping), where you measure on the trip meter how much energy you use, and you carefully document the number of rated miles used when not in Park.

Stay safe up there. Social distancing!
Problem Solved! 2020.8.2 downloaded today, rated range when to 320 miles, autosteer is more stable, plus a few other enhancements. Still need to do the 100 mile trip and send you the readout - probably after Shelter in Place is over. Hope everyone is staying safe!

Guys, I don't see this posted. Can you please post a screenshot of your energy graph - I am interested in the straight line.
It doesn;t have a value, but if you match your dotted line (consumption over the last 5-15-30 miles) then it will show up closely.

It would be great if you can post 3 screenshots from each 5, 15 and 30 miles steps. And if posslbe also in KM instead of miles.

It would be great if you can do that and find a screenshot where the dotted crosses with the straight line, this will solve "the mystery" of added range.

Thank you!

Guys, I don't see this posted. Can you please post a screenshot of your energy graph - I am interested in the straight line.
It doesn;t have a value, but if you match your dotted line (consumption over the last 5-15-30 miles) then it will show up closely.

It would be great if you can post 3 screenshots from each 5, 15 and 30 miles steps. And if posslbe also in KM instead of miles.

It would be great if you can do that and find a screenshot where the dotted crosses with the straight line, this will solve "the mystery" of added range.

Thank you!

Here is is with the 20" wheels: Model 3 Range Constant Check

As you know, the rated line just moves around with 18" and 19". It's at around 245/246Wh/mi with 18" as I recall.

No mysteries here at all.

Note that the energy increases to 77.6kWh minimum at maximum range for 2020 vehicles.

If you search around this has been covered and documented extensively.

Can you check if the rated line changes when you change the tire option under settings? And if your battery is warm, I assume if the outside temp is above 15C it should be fairly warm, can you please change to rated km under settings and pull the lever to the far right 100% on the Tesla app on your phone and see what it says as expected km at 100%?

It does. I tried with 18 inch aero wheels. My current 90% SOC rated range is 264 miles. If I change the tires to 18 inch, it jumps to 280 miles. 264 miles with the 260wh/m constant gives me 68.64kw available and if I divide that by 280 rated miles for 18 inch, the constant is 245 for 18 inch. Didn't check for 20 inch.

It does. I tried with 18 inch aero wheels. My current 90% SOC rated range is 264 miles. If I change the tires to 18 inch, it jumps to 280 miles. 264 miles with the 260wh/m constant gives me 68.64kw available and if I divide that by 280 rated miles for 18 inch, the constant is 245 for 18 inch. Didn't check for 20 inch.
You are sure you have the 2020 model?

Can you get a screenshot of the 18" value in km for me? It doesn't have to be exact but roundabouts.
I believe the 245 was the old constant, so I guess Tesla is playing the numbers game again? Previously they rated it 310 miles based on 76.5kWh and now they just use the total capacity of 78kWh to calculate the range?

What does the app say when you pull the charge limit to 100%, does it say 311miles or better what does it say in km?

I do have a 2020 model. I have started with 310 miles brand new and it has been going down and up with different releases. My car is rated at 304 miles on the sticker. I have never tried pulling the charge limit to 100% with 18 inch wheels selected. I can check that out for you next time I charge. I unfortunately don't have access to charging at home so can't do this right away. Also keep in mind I have a performance model so the AWD constant might be different than what I am seeing. With my math, I sit at 76.2kWH available capacity after 5 months and 3K miles. With 260wh/m rated range it shows about 294 miles of range @ 100%. If I use the 18 inch constant of 245 gives me 311 miles @ 100% which is around 498 kms of range.

I have never tried pulling the charge limit to 100% with 18 inch wheels selected. I can check that out for you next time I charge. I unfortunately don't have access to charging at home so can't do this right away. Also keep in mind I have a performance model so the .
No, you don't have to charge at all.
Just change the car to km if it is nearby, open the Tesla App on your Android or iOS, click on the battery and then move the lever to the right. This will show you the projected range in KM. Make sure if you use easy entry to set the KM and not % on easy entry too. Otherwise you will see % in the app. Once you do that and write down the number you can pull it back to whatever it was before.

My recent numbers. First are before the software update, second are after the update and a charging session. The range increased due to the new EPA efficiency numbers being used, but the actual range really didn't change, just the way of calculating it.

Software 2019.35.108
Odometer: 238.10 mi
Miles remaining: 198
% remaining: 64% - This is from vehicle display, not SMT so fewer significant digits
Calculated "full" range at 245 Wh/mi: 309.4 mi

Software 2020.8.2 - vehicle not driven, but charged from 64% to 79.9%
Miles remaining: 254
% remaining: 79.9% - From SMT, vehicle display shows 80%
Calculated "full" range at new 241 Wh/mi: 317.9 mi
SMT full pack: 77 kWh

Sorry, I won't be able to get a 100 mi drive done any time soon. So I'm afraid you won't have that data point from a "new" LR AWD.

My recent numbers. First are before the software update, second are after the update and
Software 2020.8.2 - vehicle not driven, but charged from 64% to 79.9%
Miles remaining: 254
% remaining: 79.9% - From SMT, vehicle display shows 80%
Calculated "full" range at new 241 Wh/mi: 317.9 mi
SMT full pack: 77 kWh
Thank you. Can you please check if the constant is really 241, better yet, maybe in KM under energy graph?
So it does seem like Tesla is playing the numbers game again - no improvement on the efficiency of the Drive Unit.

I wonder if we 2019 folks will get that update too. I don't have the 8.2 yet.

You are sure you have the 2020 model?

Can you get a screenshot of the 18" value in km for me? It doesn't have to be exact but roundabouts.
I believe the 245 was the old constant, so I guess Tesla is playing the numbers game again? Previously they rated it 310 miles based on 76.5kWh and now they just use the total capacity of 78kWh to calculate the range?

What does the app say when you pull the charge limit to 100%, does it say 311miles or better what does it say in km?

Yeah, this is all old news. Look up my 2020 2019 2018 charging constant post - all the data is in there. There are a lot of posts about this end of last year when the software got updated.

Crap, I actually had the data of miles remaining before and after the update. When grabbing it off my phone I forgot what I had and deleted the post update remaining miles. Needless to say, it matched what you'd expect using the new 241 Wh/mi EPA rating, I think 318 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.