Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone notice an increase in range after software update to 20195.15 f5def7e

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. I updated after I got to work this morning. I started at 237 and after the update I had 250....my question is did I gain battery capacity (lowered the 0% SOC) or is just altering the correlation between percentage and miles?

I'm not impressed unless I actually have more kWh available.

Also...this invalidates my TeslaFi battery health tracking that I've been doing! Ugh!!!

oh, i just found this in another post:

We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

Range increase and 5% more peak power.

I came home last night with 11 miles left in the battery. I just got the 5.15 update yesterday. I noticed that the battery indicator didn't turn red until I was down to 16 miles. Before 5.15, it would go red at 20/21 miles. My guess is that Tesla made the buffers a little smaller to use more kilowatts that are in the battery and were previously buffer protected. Car is on charge now, I'm guessing it'll get 292-293 miles at a 90% charge.

Yes. I updated after I got to work this morning. I started at 237 and after the update I had 250....my question is did I gain battery capacity (lowered the 0% SOC) or is just altering the correlation between percentage and miles?

I'm not impressed unless I actually have more kWh available.

Also...this invalidates my TeslaFi battery health tracking that I've been doing! Ugh!!!
With the limited charging I have done so far since the 5.15 update, it looks like we are actually getting more usable battery capacity, i.e. more kWh available. Using a metered EVSE (ChargePoint), I seem to be getting more kWh added than before for the same percentage increase in SOC %. The increase was almost 5%, which corresponds to the supposed increase in range (325/310 miles). I will see with more charges whether this is consistent, and it would be great if others could also provide charging data for comparison.

I received the software update on Monday. Prior to that, a 100% charge would give me 307 rated miles (May 2018 LR RWD). My 100% charge today yielded 322 rated miles. Interestingly, though, it only showed 318 when it said charging complete, but when I left for work 1 hour later, it was at 322.

I did a 100% charge today, and the mileage got up to 312 before settling back to 310. Disappointed. Last time I did a 100% charge a couple months ago I got 308.

If we compare cars in northern states to cars in southern states, I wonder if southern cars get more miles, due to using the heater less.