Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret not opting for performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the price drop of 3k on the dual motor, vs only 1k on the performance....seems the standard dual motor is really the way to go (value wise). Having had two model 3's, I've always lusted after a performance variant.... but the PY is a bit more than I really want to spend (this sounds like deja vu in my head).. I know I should probably just spring for performance but its so hard to do!

Any dual motor owners already regretting not getting performance? Would love to hear more about the acceleration of the non-performance dual motor Y from 30-70. Would be nice to see videos comparing the Y to the 3 acceleration.

I did, on my Model 3. So when the Y came, pulled the trigger on Performance with upgrade package.

To this day, I am still thinking of trading in my LR AWD Model 3 for a Performance. Just waiting on what Battery Investor Day has to offer.

Reactions: gundarx and LisaW
I did, on my Model 3. So when the Y came, pulled the trigger on Performance with upgrade package.

To this day, I am still thinking of trading in my LR AWD Model 3 for a Performance. Just waiting on what Battery Investor Day has to offer.
This was part of the reason I didn't want to spend too much on our MX. May end up pushing back the Y as well or at least until an LR RWD is available. (Still open to a showroom/demo PYD though, I'm a sucker for a sweetheart deal!)

Agreed.

One thing I've never seen in the Bay Area: two Teslas roll-up to a traffic light and race. It's not for lack of P-model Teslas.

Holding the steering wheel straight and flooring the accelerator when the light goes green isn't hard either. I get the thrill of it, but there's the other 99.99% of driving.

I've tried both. The standard one is stupid fast. The performance actually only feels any different in the first 2 seconds (Performance one really hits hard in those first 1- 2 seconds, standard is more gradual) , after that they both seem to pull the same. Roll on after you are moving doesn't feel a lot different. I am not interested in stiffer suspension or bigger wheels and couldnt care less what colour my brakes are and I am not racing it so the standard one suits me and my use.

I took delivery on my (LR AWD) MY yesterday.
Short Answer: no, I don't regret the decision to save the $10k.
Long(er) Answer: I've stepped on it pretty hard 5-6 times so far, and it pushes me into the back of my seat plenty hard (for me). I've never owned a car like this before. I'm not a "car guy." I'm a "tech guy." But 2-3 of those 5-6 occassions, I had a "reason" (get around slower traffic, etc) to smash on that accelerator, and it was comical how quickly/easily this "slow" Model Y zips around "typical" ICE cars (at least the ones I see on the daily where I live; Chevy Cruze's and Toyota Camry's and Chevy Traverse's, etc) and zips back in. I had to be careful not to get going to fast to quickly at the risk of a ticket.... plenty of punch for my use-case. And with where I live out in the boony's, I would prefer to avoid the (small but real) range hit associated with larger tires and an even-easier-time burning through electrons with even greater capacity from an even more responsive accelerator. JMO

• Disagree
Reactions: sherlockw and db93
I got the LR AWD Y and am enjoying it greatly. Do not miss the 1 second faster 0-60. The car is plenty fast. I found a website with 0-60 times from cars in the 1970's. The AWD Y beats almost every one. Not planning to ever take it to a track. If you plan to go race it on a drag strip or track, get the Performance. Otherwise enjoy the added range.
I agree. The MY Non-Performance I own is incredibly fast -- and fast enough for me. The performance model is faster, you say? Tell that to the deer you inadvertantly pulverize as you try to create a sonic boom while entering the highway.

I have no doubt that if Elon were to offer a Super Performance option for eight grand additional to allow the Performance model to do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, people would support it and extoll its virtues.

For me, the Non-Perf is perfect.

• Disagree
Reactions: sherlockw and db93
Opted for the performance model Y after a couple test drives in the non-performance and then the performance. That level of performance is intoxicating. It is somewhat of a bummer that I didn't buy before they forced all new PYs to be on the 21" wheels; the 19"s would have been fine and better range.
All this said, I'm hopeful with the September timeframe and the mention of batteries yielding 20% more efficiency (around battery/investor day) and range that the PY will again be in the 300+ range.

Really wanted an excuse to upgrade. Test drive the Model Y performance. Felt very heavy and slow on at slow speeds. The power curve seems to be steep on the low end vs the model 3 performance we have now. Just didn't feel as the performance... the numbers on paper are just half a second different with MY vs M3 performance but during the test drive it was definitely noticeable. We ended up passing on it. Maybe see what kind of software tuning tesla will do with it and revisit then. I do love the pregnant 3 look. MY looks really sweet, especially with pup but we been spoiled too much with the model 3 performance to do the upgrade at this time. :(

So i just went through this same issue in my head, but with a Model X. My choice was between a new MX Long Range, or a Used MX Performance with only 14K miles on it in great shape. Price was basically the same. So was performance worth not getting a new one like i wanted. Ultimately i chose the performance for the same reason you started this thread, i was fairly sure i'd have buyers remorse if i didn't.

Reactions: BlindPass
Really wanted an excuse to upgrade. Test drive the Model Y performance. Felt very heavy and slow on at slow speeds. The power curve seems to be steep on the low end vs the model 3 performance we have now. Just didn't feel as the performance... the numbers on paper are just half a second different with MY vs M3 performance but during the test drive it was definitely noticeable. We ended up passing on it. Maybe see what kind of software tuning tesla will do with it and revisit then. I do love the pregnant 3 look. MY looks really sweet, especially with pup but we been spoiled too much with the model 3 performance to do the upgrade at this time. :(
Yes, I don’t understand when people claim you don’t notice a difference. The MYP was so noticeably different that I checked to see if it was the non-performance model.

Can’t wait for the industry to go to more tri and four motor as the technology improves. Plaid on the M3 with a 100kWh battery and a hatch would be worth another 30k to me.

Clearly the MYP is still a lot better than any similarly priced ICE crossover. We tested the X3M Competition right before the MYP, which claims to have similar times. The BMW is much more in price and that level of acceleration isn’t exactly anytime on demand. The BMW did have better performance in other areas and features, but give me the MYP.

Yes, I don’t understand when people claim you don’t notice a difference. The MYP was so noticeably different that I checked to see if it was the non-performance model.

Can’t wait for the industry to go to more tri and four motor as the technology improves. Plaid on the M3 with a 100kWh battery and a hatch would be worth another 30k to me.

Clearly the MYP is still a lot better than any similarly priced ICE crossover. We tested the X3M Competition right before the MYP, which claims to have similar times. The BMW is much more in price and that level of acceleration isn’t exactly anytime on demand. The BMW did have better performance in other areas and features, but give me the MYP.

I guess if you drive a M3P daily and drive it to the dealership to the test drive then you will def tell a difference, but if you have just casually driven a model 3 performance at some point in the past, you may not discern the difference. I have seen the dynos for MYP vs M3P and the curve is noticeably steeper, so that makes sense. Wonder if you can flatten out the curve a bit but raising the front end. 0-30 is where you feel it most. Get that right and you don't have to make it any faster, just change curve distribution.

If the cars share very similar parts, motors, dynamics, why not power distribution curves?

Reactions: BlindPass
With the price drop of 3k on the dual motor, vs only 1k on the performance....seems the standard dual motor is really the way to go (value wise). Having had two model 3's, I've always lusted after a performance variant.... but the PY is a bit more than I really want to spend (this sounds like deja vu in my head).. I know I should probably just spring for performance but its so hard to do!

Any dual-motor owners already regretting not getting performance? Would love to hear more about the acceleration of the non-performance dual-motor Y from 30-70. Would be nice to see videos comparing the Y to the 3 acceleration.
I got the M3 SR+. I have no regrets. I'm sure I'll regret not getting the long-range the fi. rst time I go on a road trip, but who knows when that will be safe for an old guy like me. My single electric motor gives me more pickup than any of the ICE cars that I've owned over the past half-century. I'm not particularly interested in drag racing, and I don't feel the need for a spare motor.

Nope. The LR AWD has plenty of pick-up and I have no problems merging onto freeways.

I didn't buy my LR AWD to be the fastest.

The S is faster. The X is faster. The 3 is faster. The Roadster is going to be faster. The CyberTruck is going to be faster.
Really not sure what your point is the MY Performance if faster than
All Other Y's and another of 3's and esses and exes and some lamb's
And just about anything it runs into
So im a bit confused

No regrets from me at all.
1. The cost wasnt worth it.
2. The more uncomfortable ride wasnt worth it.
3. The descreased range wasnt worth it
4. The speeding tickets arent worth it. I go plenty fast from 30-70+ in a blink of an eye. Anymore is just asking for a cop to pull me over.

Just my .02 worth.
Interesting I have the Performance and find no issues with the ride.
I expected it to terrible.
I can promise point 4 is correct.
I will most definitely get some of those

If you think youll regret not getting the performance, you well 100%. Get the performance. The extra cash spent wont cause a drastic life change since you are already spending a pretty penny, might as well go all out.

Dont get me wrong, the LR is lightening quick but the Performance its a blurr. 0.9 seconds difference compared to the Performance 0-60 is very significant. Remember, Its not all about top speed, so just having that extra power delivery at your disposal is amazing. Both me and my wife drive it ours in sport mode and feather the pedal.

Range- I highly doubt its a big difference, maybe 10 miles realistically. Interestingly, there is a youtube video comparing the MYP to the LR with 20in induction wheels and they had the same real world range.

comfort- Its not a harsh ride like people say, my wife who comes from a lexus ES never mentioned it once, nor have both my kids who sit in the back. I myself am coming from a BMW, so maybe for me stiff rides isnt a problem, but then again you should drive both to see if its a deal breaker, but personally, this forum blows it out of proportion. Some swear like the 21s will explode if you run over a crack on the road.

Also, the performance is more rare than the LR, so having that will make it feel cooler.

get the performance, you wont regret it, and if you do, return it in 7 days.

If you think youll regret not getting the performance, you well 100%. Get the performance. The extra cash spent wont cause a drastic life change since you are already spending a pretty penny, might as well go all out.

Dont get me wrong, the LR is lightening quick but the Performance its a blurr. 0.9 seconds difference compared to the Performance 0-60 is very significant. Remember, Its not all about top speed, so just having that extra power delivery at your disposal is amazing. Both me and my wife drive it ours in sport mode and feather the pedal.

Range- I highly doubt its a big difference, maybe 10 miles realistically. Interestingly, there is a youtube video comparing the MYP to the LR with 20in induction wheels and they had the same real world range.

comfort- Its not a harsh ride like people say, my wife who comes from a lexus ES never mentioned it once, nor have both my kids who sit in the back. I myself am coming from a BMW, so maybe for me stiff rides isnt a problem, but then again you should drive both to see if its a deal breaker, but personally, this forum blows it out of proportion. Some swear like the 21s will explode if you run over a crack on the road.

Also, the performance is more rare than the LR, so having that will make it feel cooler.

get the performance, you wont regret it, and if you do, return it in 7 days.
I totally agree the 21 inch wheels in my opinion are a non issue.
I never tried sport mode though.
I totally forgot about it having so much fun going 0 to 60 your
Speeds.
Whats the difference between the two basically does it effect speed
Thanks
Enjoy that performance I am