Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regretting their purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 70D is by far the best commuting car I've owned thanks to AP 1.0 (& FW 7.1).

Given how many times I've been in for "issues" already (including 3 minor issues currently waiting for parts going on 5 months) I have no confidence that we will issue free going forward. Almost out of warranty with no good alternatives since Tesla has totally dropped the ball on AP 2 and 2.5. M3 configuration on hold pending any good AP news.

P90 went back due to "issues" after 26k miles

I should add that everyone at the Dania SC is great. They have made dealing with the issues painless and Tesla is lucky to have them.

Here is how my Tesla Service center experience went:

The phone rings out of the blue one day and Caller ID says it is Tesla.

Lady on the other end: Hi, my name is Jxxxx and I am calling from Tesla

Me: Hi, what can I do for you?

Lady: Well, I am calling to checkup on you and the car. We didn't see you since you drove out of here with a new car 35,000 miles ago

Me: Yeah.. do you need to do an oil change or something?

Tesla Lady: Naa.. we just want to look at the car if you could drive it by when you get a chance. We should probably change the brake fluid and rotate your tires too if you need it.

Me: Ok.. but the tires are wearing evenly, I don't think they need to be rotated.

Tesla Lady: We will look.. maybe we can change the battery coolant and clean your brake parts too.

So I drove in one fine Tuesday morning - $750.00 for 50k maintenance and $250 for brake parts clean up. No tire rotation. I guess they knew they probably won't see me ever again :) Car now has 52k miles on it, drives like the day I bought it. I am regretting buying the extended warranty for $4k, but then it is peace of mind.

She forgot to say they saw me when the car had about 5k miles - they replaced the charging port, and talked about a small scratch by the door handle.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Then the wife bought a Mercedes 350GL - used (33k miles). A week later, check engine light comes on. Dealer says it may be because the diesel cap is not tight enough. Felt tight, but opened it closed it just for the heck of it, still check engine light. Dealer says drive it around another couple of days. Finally went away after 4 days or so. Minor issue, but something I don't have to think about in the Tesla.

I’m very glad your experience is so different than mine. I don’t hold any I’ll will towards people who are having success with theirs and I’m glad people who love em really do because they work well. I just wish my experience was very different and that I could enjoy this.

I’m very glad your experience is so different than mine. I don’t hold any I’ll will towards people who are having success with theirs and I’m glad people who love em really do because they work well. I just wish my experience was very different and that I could enjoy this.
I've had a plethora of issues (documented in various threads around here) on my much older 2013 non AP... I'd say the bad outweighs the good if I paid sticker, but I bought used and got a good deal. I'd be much saltier about the whole experience if I paid 70k+. Otherwise, its still THE BEST electric car on the market when you strip it all down.

I've had many quality issues with our S, but I would say similar German or Japanese cars are not necessarily better. None have direct competitors to the MS so if you want an electric luxury car, there are no other options.

That's the main reason why people keep buying Tesla vehicles despite the mounting evidence that quality control and reliability have not improved since inception, or not improved to an acceptable level. Also the general kid glove treatment that most Tesla owners accord the company when the vehicles have problems doesn't help.

Reactions: Icer
That's the main reason why people keep buying Tesla vehicles despite the mounting evidence that quality control and reliability have not improved since inception, or not improved to an acceptable level. Also the general kid glove treatment that most Tesla owners accord the company when the vehicles have problems doesn't help.
I think if you drop the expectation that it's "luxury" you'd be a lot more satisfied overall... just because its expensive doesn't mean its luxury. YMMV though :)

PS: you doesn't mean you personally... just generally :)

Yes, and the price must also drop accordingly!

Exactly! During one of my repairs they gave me a brand new Model X P100D that was loaded as a loaner. It had 11 miles on it and the AP wasn’t even calibrated. The sticker was inside and that car was stickered at over $160,000. I think that a car priced as much as an 18 wheeler is nuts! Especially with all the problems that occur.

Exactly! During one of my repairs they gave me a brand new Model X P100D that was loaded as a loaner. It had 11 miles on it and the AP wasn’t even calibrated. The sticker was inside and that car was stickered at over $160,000. I think that a car priced as much as an 18 wheeler is nuts! Especially with all the problems that occur.

Great, then don't buy one... I really don't get this attitude from some people... I'd love to get a fully loaded Model X P100D as a loaner, it would be quite the experience.

As for the original question, absolutely not... Never once have I remotely regretted my purchase. Have I been annoyed at some things along the way? Yes, but nothing even approaching regret. In fact, I see it as a near certainty my existing Model S will be replaced with another Tesla when my lease is up in November.

If only they'd bring back the ventilated seats... UGH... :)

Jeff

Reactions: SummitX
I've had one trip to the service center in 26K miles of driving my preowned (Not even CPO) Model S, and that was to replace the first generation driveunit that had known issues. That happened 10K miles in, and I haven't had any issues since then.

Well, I did have a TPMS sensor go bad the first time it got cold, but that's something that could happen to any car.

Don’t get one. Get the 75 instead. Some people will pay a pile of money to go fast, might as well make it available.

Some people will pay a pile of money to haul goods.

Mine hasn’t been in the shop yet. 11 months, 16k Miles. When it gi s on, I hope to get a P100D for a loaner too!

I THINK that high mileage CPO does have issues.

On the other hand, you can't complete give in your car to the overwhelmed SC; the better approach is to ask for the repair solution before you drop off your car, and avoid unnecessary repairs that may cause other issues.

Great, then don't buy one... I really don't get this attitude from some people... I'd love to get a fully loaded Model X P100D as a loaner, it would be quite the experience.

As for the original question, absolutely not... Never once have I remotely regretted my purchase. Have I been annoyed at some things along the way? Yes, but nothing even approaching regret. In fact, I see it as a near certainty my existing Model S will be replaced with another Tesla when my lease is up in November.

If only they'd bring back the ventilated seats... UGH... :)

Jeff
I wasn’t complaining about receiving that as a loaner. I was saying I was absolutely SHOCKED at the price because the last time I checked they were topping out around 125,000.

I have a 2015 70D that I've had since new, and I don't have any regrets. I have right around 36K miles without having any serious issue.

Right after getting it I did turn off the auto-present door handles (just seemed like it add a lot of unnecessary wear and tear), and I wonder if that is why I haven't had any issues yet (*knocks on wood*).
I've also has it serviced once a year on schedule, and I know its entire history. It's not like a CPO where you have no idea what abuse might have happened.

All in all I'm happy with what I consider to be a first generation product. The fact that it was a 2015 means they had a couple years to fix most of the big ticket issues (the drivetrain issue they had in early years), but not enough time to really perfect it.

I will say that it like any Model S/X that it has a lot of software glitches. Where there are times (usually in the morning while leaving to work) that it decides to do some weird thing where I have to reboot one of the computers.

I do think Tesla realized the Model S/X were way too complicated because the Model 3 is FAR more simplified in key critical areas.

Less wiring
Only one computer versus two
No autopresent door handles
None of the crap the Model X has that makes it even more problematic than an S.

I'm pretty confident the Model 3 will be a reliable car. Where sure it might have some fit/finish issues that are irksome, but I can't imagine seeing a better overall value (of the entire ecosystem) from anyone else in the next few years. I've also completely written off Nissan due to their battery issue.

So my long term plan is to trade in my Model S within a couple years. Once the AWD Model 3's have been shipping for a year or two. Of course I'm going to get the extended warranty for the S just in case. :)

If they do a Model S refresh I might get that. Unless there is a self-driving Bolt in 2019. I'd sacrifice the supercharging network for level 4 self driving.

I should add that reliability isn't my number one need. I like cars that have a certain passion to them, and I can accept some glitches. Heck I got a Supercharged Range Rover Sport once, and that was pretty glitchy (there were times the audio would come up muted). I've also had a lot of german cars and those had electrical glitches (except for a Porsche Cayman S which didn't have any issues).

If you want a truly reliable car there is a company for that. I think it's still the one that starts with a T, but all they make is various flavors of boring. If you get a fancy German car (Audi, BMW, MB) all you're doing is getting something that will cause the next owner all sorts of grief. So if you're going to go German then get a Porsche (it's the good VW).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hornedfrog1
I have had a few issues with the car but they were fantastic at repairing those issues. I wasn't happy to be stranded 2500 miles from home, in the middle of the night, on a semi truck engorged freeway, while on a major trip (1st). The traction battery was defective. We thought we were going to die...

But.. Tesla was excellent at taking care of us. We were in a loaner ICE for a month and communication could have been better... We also had the few common problems and they were competently fixed. Yes, we have been at a service center more than a few times but they always listened, looked at, and addressed our problem(s).

The 2 Service Centers that we have utilized have been respectful, friendly, and competent. I would tell you if it were not the case. For example: Tesla customer service for online orders for merchandise Sucks.

We own 2 Leafs in addition to our Model S. My son has also owned a Leaf and now a Chevy Bolt. All of these are nice cars but the Tesla is King. We would buy another Tesla in a heartbeat. I am a car guy. We also own many ICE vehicles that will never be our daily drivers since going to electric vehicles.

I look forward to more manufacturers producing electric vehicles at least as good or better than Tesla. I am not stuck on brand. In my opinion, Tesla has set a good benchmark!

in the middle of the night, on a semi truck engorged freeway, while on a major trip (1st). The traction battery was defective. We thought we were going to die...

You had a little bit of a different perspective...thank you. You absolutely described my greatest fear....suddenly being dead in the water with my young family in the car. What is the traction battery? Did it die without warning? How did you get past the fear that it might happen again at any time?

• Disagree
Reactions: SummitX
You had a little bit of a different perspective...thank you. You absolutely described my greatest fear....suddenly being dead in the water with my young family in the car. What is the traction battery? Did it die without warning? How did you get past the fear that it might happen again at any time?

The traction battery is the high voltage battery that runs the drive motor(s) of the car as well as keeping the 12 volt battery charged. Yes, it was very scary! However, you can just as easily be stranded for a myriad of reasons with gas cars too and I have lots of good stories for that also.

They are all machines. They have many parts and can break down. Quite usually breakdowns occur without much warning. You can somewhat prepare yourself with carrying some supplies with you. Flares, reflective triangles, flashlight, tools, jumper cables, cellphone, roadside service numbers, water, etc...

Fear can paralyze a person from living. A healthy fear of the unknown is normal. Reaching out to others and researching can indeed help calm some fears. The fact is though, every time we are in a vehicle on the streets, it is usually the most dangerous and possibly deadly thing that most of us do on a daily basis. We will never know how many crashes that we "just missed" being involved in.

As you know, we are not spit out into this life with any guarantees. Try to mitigate some of those fears with preparing yourself the best as possible. Gathering knowledge as you are doing is a great way to start. I expect that I will be broken down again, and that it is probable, in my book, no matter what vehicles I use, ICE or electric.

It really helps if you have a great roadside service like Tesla has. They will send help and service to you. It may take a while for one of their vendors to get there, but just be patient.

In my Tesla breakdown, I wish that I would have had plenty of flares and some reflective triangles. The 12 volt battery quickly goes dead when you have a traction battery fault. That means no emergency flashers or any lights.

Last edited: