Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regretting their purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The traction battery is the high voltage battery that runs the drive motor(s) of the car as well as keeping the 12 volt battery charged. Yes, it was very scary! However, you can just as easily be stranded for a myriad of reasons with gas cars too and I have lots of good stories for that also.

They are all machines. They have many parts and can break down. Quite usually breakdowns occur without much warning. You can somewhat prepare yourself with carrying some supplies with you. Flares, reflective triangles, flashlight, tools, jumper cables, cellphone, roadside service numbers, water, etc...

Fear can paralyze a person from living. A healthy fear of the unknown is normal. Reaching out to others and researching can indeed help calm some fears. The fact is though, every time we are in a vehicle on the streets, it is usually the most dangerous and possibly deadly thing that most of us do on a daily basis. We will never know how many crashes that we "just missed" being involved in.

As you know, we are not spit out into this life with any guarantees. Try to mitigate some of those fears with preparing yourself the best as possible. Gathering knowledge as you are doing is a great way to start. I expect that I will be broken down again, and that it is probable, in my book, no matter what vehicles I use, ICE or electric.

It really helps if you have a great roadside service like Tesla has. They will send help and service to you. It may take a while for one of their vendors to get there, but just be patient.

In my Tesla breakdown, I wish that I would have had plenty of flares and some reflective triangles. The 12 volt battery quickly goes dead when you have a traction battery fault. That means no emergency flashers or any lights.

Yeah...that 12v failure upon breakdown I’ve heard about before. Some good thoughts.

Reactions: Evoforce
The traction battery is the high voltage battery that runs the drive motor(s) of the car as well as keeping the 12 volt battery charged. Yes, it was very scary! However, you can just as easily be stranded for a myriad of reasons with gas cars too and I have lots of good stories for that also.

They are all machines. They have many parts and can break down. Quite usually breakdowns occur without much warning. You can somewhat prepare yourself with carrying some supplies with you. Flares, reflective triangles, flashlight, tools, jumper cables, cellphone, roadside service numbers, water, etc...

Fear can paralyze a person from living. A healthy fear of the unknown is normal. Reaching out to others and researching can indeed help calm some fears. The fact is though, every time we are in a vehicle on the streets, it is usually the most dangerous and possibly deadly thing that most of us do on a daily basis. We will never know how many crashes that we "just missed" being involved in.

As you know, we are not spit out into this life with any guarantees. Try to mitigate some of those fears with preparing yourself the best as possible. Gathering knowledge as you are doing is a great way to start. I expect that I will be broken down again, and that it is probable, in my book, no matter what vehicles I use, ICE or electric.

It really helps if you have a great roadside service like Tesla has. They will send help and service to you. It may take a while for one of their vendors to get there, but just be patient.

In my Tesla breakdown, I wish that I would have had plenty of flares and some reflective triangles. The 12 volt battery quickly goes dead when you have a traction battery fault. That means no emergency flashers or any lights.

To this point: the one time I’ve been stranded on a long trip was in an ICE. Engine blew out in my Toyota Corolla going up the mountains coming into Santa Barbara(I was taking the route south that goes through the mountains by the lake) on my way to San Diego. Barely managed to get to the top and coast down(with no power steering on windy mountain roads). Had to abandon the car in Santa Barbara and take the train down the rest of the way. Later on I had to come back up and arrange transportation for it to be junked.

Point being, I think: stuff happens, regardless of the car you’re driving.

Also, how are your expectations? Before purchasing the car I talked extensively with another owner from whom I used referral code. He listed numerous "little" defects on his Model X but was still happy with the car. He told me to expect being in the service centre probably more than with other cars. The technology is new, the Model is new and the car company is new. However, you can als expect to be treated very well!
We bought the car with these expectations in mind. There were a couple of minor things on the car (lose rubber on door, window frame needed to be changed, Falcon Wing Door alignment etc. Love the car, love the people at the Service Centre. Car is very reliable.
Only thing I don't like is the software updates are very slow. Thought the autonomous driving would be much further by now. Elon promises too much..

To this point: the one time I’ve been stranded on a long trip was in an ICE. Engine blew out in my Toyota Corolla going up the mountains coming into Santa Barbara(I was taking the route south that goes through the mountains by the lake) on my way to San Diego. Barely managed to get to the top and coast down(with no power steering on windy mountain roads). Had to abandon the car in Santa Barbara and take the train down the rest of the way. Later on I had to come back up and arrange transportation for it to be junked.

Point being, I think: stuff happens, regardless of the car you’re driving.

How many miles were on it? I know things happen with cars but with low mileage it shouldn’t be recurrent.

Also, how are your expectations? Before purchasing the car I talked extensively with another owner from whom I used referral code. He listed numerous "little" defects on his Model X but was still happy with the car. He told me to expect being in the service centre probably more than with other cars. The technology is new, the Model is new and the car company is new. However, you can als expect to be treated very well!
We bought the car with these expectations in mind. There were a couple of minor things on the car (lose rubber on door, window frame needed to be changed, Falcon Wing Door alignment etc. Love the car, love the people at the Service Centre. Car is very reliable.
Only thing I don't like is the software updates are very slow. Thought the autonomous driving would be much further by now. Elon promises too much..

I did tons of research prior to purchase. My local showroom manager told me that he has a customer with two Model S being used as taxis. Both are about 200,000 miles and basically trouble free. I was willing to overlook the three door handles. I was even willing to overlook the nine months of connectivity issues with the radio and phone. I had ev n forgotten about having to replace the passenger side airbag due to the Takata recall. I was excited and loved it until the actual breakdown 260 miles from home when my HV battery coolant heater unit and 12v battery failed. They told me the coolant heater was starting to go bad before my trip and then when I supercharged twice on the trip it basically shot the system. With this many system failures I am very displeased. I can’t tell you how embarrassed I was to open the back door of my super cool expensive car So I could climb through the back seat to open the drivers door since neither of my front door paddles would present due to the mechanism shearing off internally. If it was cosmetic issues that would be one thing but when pieces and systems are failing that’s a different ball of wax. The record for my car with the previous owner was clear and trouble feee. Now I’m having issue after issue after issue. Seems like a never ending battle.

• Disagree
Reactions: SummitX
I did tons of research prior to purchase. My local showroom manager told me that he has a customer with two Model S being used as taxis. Both are about 200,000 miles and basically trouble free. I was willing to overlook the three door handles. I was even willing to overlook the nine months of connectivity issues with the radio and phone. I had ev n forgotten about having to replace the passenger side airbag due to the Takata recall. I was excited and loved it until the actual breakdown 260 miles from home when my HV battery coolant heater unit and 12v battery failed. They told me the coolant heater was starting to go bad before my trip and then when I supercharged twice on the trip it basically shot the system. With this many system failures I am very displeased. I can’t tell you how embarrassed I was to open the back door of my super cool expensive car So I could climb through the back seat to open the drivers door since neither of my front door paddles would present due to the mechanism shearing off internally. If it was cosmetic issues that would be one thing but when pieces and systems are failing that’s a different ball of wax. The record for my car with the previous owner was clear and trouble feee. Now I’m having issue after issue after issue. Seems like a never ending battle.

I hear you. It is strange that suddenly all kinds of defects turn up. What does the service manager say?

If they’re so great why do they refuse to let jd power use their data on initial quality? When a company refuses to let the world see their information.....they have something to hide. That should tell you something right there.
JD Power - you do understand how they rate cars?
"The Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) examines issues reported by original owners of 3-year-old vehicles. This study measures car reliability by analyzing problems experienced over the past 12 months of ownership in such areas as: features and controls; engine and transmission;entertainment and navigation; heating and cooling; the overall driving experience, and more. For ratings and information about the most reliable cars, click on a category below."

Which means a new car company will look pretty bad as their initial offerings are the only ones tested. This method also prevents accurate results from companies that update their cars often. When Tesla has 3 years making the P100D JD Power ratings will be relevant.

As far as "initial quality", again a new company is at a disadvantage. JD Power needs to add a category for companies that update their cars as they find flaws.

Last edited:
Really all they’ve done is apologize.

What else would you like them to do? At least they apologized... I could give personal stories about issues I've had with GM and their dealer service which never included such a basic thing as an apology.

The reality here is, and the data available backs this up, the overwhelming majority of Tesla owners love their cars and would buy them again. That's not to say Tesla is perfect, far from it, but that says something...

If you're really this unhappy then your best recourse is to get rid of your Tesla and move on...

Jeff

1. Regarding the OP question: I DO NOT regret buying my 2nd Tesla (traded 2012 for 2016 sold as "new)

2. However, many service trips prompted me to buy the "extended service plan" while I still could even though there is a huge "copay?" and reading the fine print in the contract for it was mind dulling. Some clauses even the "service managers" could not explain. But...nevertheless I wanted SOME sort of mitigation if the number of service trips per year stays constant. (I know...I did not give a number ....but it has been a lot even the first two months of owning the car....then more as the year progressed)

3. IMHO the level of competency of the "techs" (mechanics? in my day;)) has gone down as so many are in training as they work on our cars OR have been recently "book trained". I am at odds with my service team right now on two issues that they deem "normal". One that concerns me is knocking coming from rear engine ("mounts?) on acceleration which started several months ago. They first told me it was "normal" and after VERY lengthy conversations they said it was a "known situation" that was "under investigation" by their engineers. uh...what? Anyway I will work it out with them. My point is that they are growing faster than they can provide competent service. Stories change. "Don't worry." becomes common. A LOT of process changes need to be implemented IMHO.

4. I love this car and the above is just venting. I will stay loyal to Tesla overall. I do not regret the purchase. For so many reasons it is a joy to drive. So I will take the bad with the good. And appreciate the good daily.

Reactions: jschwefel
What else would you like them to do? At least they apologized... I could give personal stories about issues I've had with GM and their dealer service which never included such a basic thing as an apology.

The reality here is, and the data available backs this up, the overwhelming majority of Tesla owners love their cars and would buy them again. That's not to say Tesla is perfect, far from it, but that says something...

If you're really this unhappy then your best recourse is to get rid of your Tesla and move on...

Jeff

Honestly I’m not sure what I’m looking for from them. I just know that sorry doesn’t give me all the hours of my life back and reduce the resultant headaches.

Jeff

I think the OP is just looking for some commiserating to get some feedback on their initial unexpected experience.

It may be helpful to let them know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. You know, nothing is perfect and sometimes far from it.

When they hear that many of us have not had it perfect but things have worked out well in the end, it helps to then be able to put up with the not so nice things in the end.

Especially when they are given the chance to experience these great cars (over time) when they are generally and overall working great.

I look forward to the time when this poster has overlaid the bad experience with many great times and experiences.

Others of us have walked in their footsteps and really love our cars after it is all said and done!

Keeping my fingers crossed that my Model S turns out to not have constant issues.....I cannot imagine having so many issues. The only car I EVER had that was "The CAR from HELL" was my 1982 Mercedes 300 SD. I also nicknamed it "The Six Million Dollar Car" after that old TV series with Lee Majors (the Bionic Man...) Every PART on that car was REPLACED. What a nightmare. I used to think of how I could drive it off a cliff and jump out right before it went over. It was that bad. I HATED that car and swore right then and there: NEVER AGAIN will I have a Mercedes. It was my 2nd one, the first one was fine. This one....HORRIFIC. I don't EVER want to experience that again and when I see these stories about repeated visits to the service centers, it gives me chills. I probably need to stop reading them LOL. Sorry to you all who are having issues but all in all, I thank you for letting us all know. The stuff nightmares are made of....

OP: Are you going to keep the car? Will driving it cause resentments?

Not being sarcastic, I just have never been in "your shoes" with such deep seated regrets. What say you?

Good question. Right now I’m just so upset I’m not sure what to think or do. I spent all the money I could on the tesla so even if I wanted to I couldn’t get a different car right now. Driving it worries me every time I get in...even in town because these problems are getting worse as we go on whereas previous owner had no problems. I am very mad at tesla obviously...not the SVC because it is full of great people but they know me too well. My biggest fear is putting my young family into a problematic car that might break down with them in it and the fear that would create for them. And tonight, for the second time, my odometer suddenly reset to zero and came back after about a mile. They reset firmware to latest after replacing the 12v and coolant heater unit last week. I’m worried it’s a bigger issue. Even with what I thought was my worst car previously I never had this many problems.

• Funny
Reactions: SummitX
I think the OP is just looking for some commiserating to get some feedback on their initial unexpected experience.

It may be helpful to let them know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. You know, nothing is perfect and sometimes far from it.

When they hear that many of us have not had it perfect but things have worked out well in the end, it helps to then be able to put up with the not so nice things in the end.

Especially when they are given the chance to experience these great cars (over time) when they are generally and overall working great.

I look forward to the time when this poster has overlaid the bad experience with many great times and experiences.

Others of us have walked in their footsteps and really love our cars after it is all said and done!

Thank you for your caring words...you seem to get it. You’re right. I’m just trying to vent, find people with like problems to hopefully find solutions, and try to find a way to to solve my worries and maybe some day trust and enjoy my car again. It’s just so tough when you see all these people LOVING their cars and you want to be one of them.

Reactions: Evoforce
I read about a person who has had their drive unit, the transmission in an ICE, replaced three times prior to 127,000 miles and they’re willing to buy another one. Seriously?
To be fair, replacing a drive unit is a very straightforward and uncomplicated process.

I love my 2013 P85. Every time I get into it I'm reminded of how lucky and privileged I am to have one. Have I had my share of service issues? Yes. I bought in 2013 fully expecting there to be some kinks to work out. Service has been exemplary. Would I do it again? Absolutely! I've had so much fun and gotten so much out of owning this car, I can't even begin to tell you. I've met so many wonderful people through the local Tesla Facebook group that I started. None of that would have happened if I didn't buy this car and become part of this amazing community.

... replacement of the exploding Takata airbags which Tesla and several other manufacturers continued to put in their cars even with the recall, New Tesla, McLaren, and Ferrari models added to Takata recall list - Autoblog New Tesla, McLaren, and Ferrari models added to Takata recall list.

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. The Takata Airbag recall is not unique to your vehicle and has nothing to do with Tesla's reliability. As you have indicated, it affects most of us across many manufacturers. The 12v battery is a notorious weak spot, but there are things you can do to maximize its life. Turn ON energy savings and UNCHECK "always stay connected" option. The vehicle should warn you when it's time to replace the 12v. I received an alert on my screen after about 18 months of ownership. It was replaced in late 2014.

three broken door handles (replaced with previous model not the new stronger ones)
I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean by "previous model" and "new stronger ones"? First generation door handles were problematic, those shipped in 2012 and in some 2013 cars. As those failed, Tesla replaced them with 2nd gen door handles which have been more reliable. Your 2016 CPO should have had 2nd gen or later door handles. My 2nd gen door handles have been very reliable - no issues.

I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean by "previous model" and "new stronger ones"? First generation door handles were problematic, those shipped in 2012 and in some 2013 cars. As those failed, Tesla replaced them with 2nd gen door handles which have been more reliable. Your 2016 CPO should have had 2nd gen or later door handles. My 2nd gen door handles have been very reliable - no issues.[/QUOTE]

Sorry. I was referring to the generations of door handles. I don’t know which gen handles I have but the tech told me they were replaced with the same gen as the ones that broke even though there is a new gen that is stronger. I’m glad yours haven’t failed because it is a huge pain in the butt to have to open the back door and climb through the back seat to open the drivers door.

I have been to the service center 8 times for three broken door handles (replaced with previous model not the new stronger ones).
Really all they’ve done is apologize.

The fact that they keep replacing the door handles with the same version that keep failing is unacceptable, especially since you said there is a newer "stronger" version door handle. After it failing twice, I would have demanded the v2 handles be used and not accept no for an answer.....unless they dont fit ;)

Reactions: Hornedfrog1
The fact that they keep replacing the door handles with the same version that keep failing is unacceptable, especially since you said there is a newer "stronger" version door handle. After it failing twice, I would have demanded the v2 handles be used and not accept no for an answer.....unless they dont fit ;)

I’m not sure if they fit and since it’s been three separate doors...one reason why I’m so pissed...they said they only replace when they break, not as a preventative measure. Oh believe me! The next handle that goes out WILL be replaced with the latest version. I will make sure of that!