Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone swapping over to the Taycan??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
The pricing is currently a bit nuts, £125k with a few options for the Turbo version.

But interestingly the Panamera Turbo starts at £117k but the base 4 starts at £72k.

Potential only £20k difference between the cheapest Taycan and a P Model 3.

Yes I know the Model has the 0-60 party trick, but we are struggling to justify spending even £45k on one, but a for some reason a £70k Porsche seem much easier to justify?? Maybe its the badge, don't know really.

Not sure what everyone else feels, but I might just pop into our local Porsche dealer later :).

The Turbo moniker is ridiculous. For some reason I'm massively put off by that, as silly as that sounds.

Also knowing Porsche whatever the "only £20k more" car is you can bet it's as bare bones as it's possible to imagine. Porsche loves it's options, at least with the Tesla there's essentially just two trim levels for equipment and it's mostly just aesthetics.

I don't think it's competition for the Model 3, but it will give Model S buyers pause for thought perhaps.

If you love the Porsche badge you'll find a way to love it above all else anyway, and will justify the extra cost in your mind.

I don't think it's competition for the Model 3, but it will give Model S buyers pause for thought perhaps.

If you love the Porsche badge you'll find a way to love it above all else anyway, and will justify the extra cost in your mind.

The 3 just doesn't quite do it for me, I would still rather have a S, despite it been slower/fatter/less range and more expensive.

I've never ever even sat in a Porsche so will do that today, but I suspect at the £70k price point the S woudlnt stand a chance against the Taycan.

Well I don't think you will find many Taycans being sold at the £70k price point; it is easy to spend a huge amount on options on a Porsche and quite difficult to spend only a little - just have a play around on the configurator on their website for a few minutes! In the end I don't think there will be much of an overlap in price - it will probably depend somewhat on what spec the entry level Taycan eventually ends up with, but then they are quite different cars anyway and will probably appeal to different people.

I am currently driving a Macan GTS but have a M3P on order to join it - a Taycan with the options I would want is definately some way off for me!

Reactions: Durzel
I must admit to getting a bit hacked off with manufacturers that offer a car that expensive then a rear camera is an extra let alone TACC.
It depends what you want from a car - bragging rights, performance, comfort? Having seen the top gear presentation I doubt the rear seats are actually very comfortable for an adult and without sitting in one I don't know if I'd fit in the front.
For me my S is 'reasonably' comfortable but at least plenty of room. I did a lot of car shopping with my OH a few months ago and did a lot of playing in other cars while she was occupied (not porsche admittedly) but i don't fit comfortably in any Audi or Volvo. the most comfortable car seat of all time was the f-type - just a shame there was no room for my legs or head. it's one reason I keep my 26yr old nissan 200sx - it's comfortable.
If and when Tesla bring out the roadster....

I could maybe stretch my budget to fit a poverty spec Taycan "Trash Can" Turbo, without splurging on exorbitant optional extras like a reversing camera. The performance and range will be similar to my 4yo P90DL, maybe a little less. I have only taken my current car to the drag strip, not a track day so there's that. The interior looks gorgeous but seems to be as underpowered and laggy as an i-Pace. I don't know. Why bother? I have a Raven X on order which I could just cancel and get this instead...but I'm just not sold! I'm not really sold on the X either. I'm on 60,000 miles with my current car and it has no issues and was only ever serviced once. Maybe I'll just hold onto it for another 4 years and wait for someone to come up with something really inspiring, or for Tesla to release some real FSD features.

I keep my 26yr old nissan 200sx - it's comfortable.

I had one of those! Horrendous turbo lag and then went like a rocket (or felt like it back then).

I’m going to look at the Taycan but won’t be spending £100k+ unless the residuals are astonishingly good, and then they’d likely fall foul of the HMRC’s VAT position so don’t think Porsche will risk that.

Irrespective of the price it would need to accommodate my golf gear, which is a test I’ve yet to conduct on the 3, although research suggests that will be ok. In the absence of the SR MS for me the M3P looks extremely good value at the moment.

Very unusually for me I’m actually pleased my car still has over a year to run before I need to make a decision, normally 2.5 years I’m itching to move it on.

The Turbo moniker is ridiculous.

Completely agree - along with faux grilles.. I wonder if back in the day when very early replacements to the horse and cart appeared on streets they had holders for riding crops and poop shovels. Why this skeuomorphism persists today is beyond me.

Has anyone fitted an exhaust to their M3 to feel slightly better about things?

• Funny
Reactions: pow216 and m3gt2
The first cars did rather look like they could be hitched to horses..
Benz-1.jpg

The 3 just doesn't quite do it for me, I would still rather have a S, despite it been slower/fatter/less range and more expensive.

I've never ever even sat in a Porsche so will do that today, but I suspect at the £70k price point the S woudlnt stand a chance against the Taycan.

They haven't confirmed a base or "4" version of the Taycan yet, and if one does come it is 12-18 months away from launch. The car that's actually available to order today "starts" at £20k more than the most expensive Teslas. And that's before you've had to pay option prices for things like reversing cameras or motorised charge ports.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I added my name to the local porsche dealers list to try one out.

He doesn't think they'll have one until December this year, and this is in the "main line" of Philadelphia, wealthy people central.

I want to try one, but I certainly doubt I'll pay MORE for LESS. I just can't imagine a big enough hard on from a badge owned by a company that continues to cheat on emissions tests.

Reactions: pow216
Yes I know the Model has the 0-60 party trick, but we are struggling to justify spending even £45k on one, but a for some reason a £70k Porsche seem much easier to justify??

I cannot justify what we are spending on Tesla either, far more than any car previously owned. But I think if I was going to raise the stakes, it wouldn't be a Taycan and would be a case of doing my bit for the environment and buying locally ;) and sod the rest. :oops:

Last edited:

It depends on what your needs are. The rear of the Taycan is cramped compared to S. If you want to go shopping in the car, the S has significantly more room too. And the available room is more easily accessible since it's a hatch.

Now compare top end specs and the S is faster 0 to 60, and faster 0-120 too.

And while we're talking top end specs, the Taycan is twice the cost of the S, so you may as well compare it to the upcoming Roadster, since the Roadster is much closer to top end Taycan price tag.

And if The Taycan can't beat S on specs, it gets absolutely destroyed by the Roadster, which enjoys twice as much battery pack and 3x the range.