Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
given that the R1T is rated 314 miles EPA ... what other truck is coming in the near future with a better range? F150 Lightning maxes out 300 miles EPA and the Cybertruck AWD was last quoted at ~300 miles. The 400 miles Silverado EV likely won't come until late 2023/early 2024 and initially is only available for $105k+ ... and by the Rivian should have the large 400 miles battery ready.
The Cybertruck had a spec of 500 miles for the top of the line unit. As we all know they removed all specs and pricing from the web site, so I expect the production version to have much less range than that. How much less is anyones guess. Time will tell. :rolleyes:

The Ford Lightning is a possibility. The main problem I have with that one is the final price is set by the dealer and you know what that means.

My main problem with Rivian is I just wonder do these guys even know what the hell they are doing ? How long is it going to take to them to figure out how to produce this truck that they have been working on for what 8 years now ?

The Silverado looks decent but as you say it looks like 2 years away and the first year production is going to cost over 100 grand. This on top of the Bolt fiasco and one has to wonder is it really worth that much money ?

Reactions: TessP100D
I don’t think any of these trucks will actually get over 400 miles.

I will be good to get some pickups to the market. I really liked the Rivian until they became as unobtanium as the cybertruck, abs have a very low tip speed.

I’m more likely to get the next Gen model 3, which I hope is our before my 2020 is out of drivetrain warranty. I won’t own a Tesla without one.

The Cybertruck had a spec of 500 miles for the top of the line unit. As we all know they removed all specs and pricing from the web site, so I expect the production version to have much less range than that. How much less is anyones guess. Time will tell. :rolleyes:

The Ford Lightning is a possibility. The main problem I have with that one is the final price is set by the dealer and you know what that means.

My main problem with Rivian is I just wonder do these guys even know what the hell they are doing ? How long is it going to take to them to figure out how to produce this truck that they have been working on for what 8 years now ?

The Silverado looks decent but as you say it looks like 2 years away and the first year production is going to cost over 100 grand. This on top of the Bolt fiasco and one has to wonder is it really worth that much money ?
Well. Said

4680 chemistry is the key to Tesla achieving big range numbers.

Rivian is struggling to deliver trucks. Imagine that?

Reactions: KJD
I do not need Range, not going on a road trip with the Rivian. Also will not be towing anything, this truck fits in my garage and after seeing one in person I was impressed with build quality and fit and finish. The interior is also very well done. Will not get mine until 2023.
Did you see a production truck? Because if not, you might want to defer your opinion on fit and finish.

It doesn't appear that Rivian has any sort of secret sauce that allowed them to bypasss the laws of physics with their tow range.

The Rivian R1T has a towing capacity of 11,000 lbs. According to the company’s website, towing at that weight will reduce range “by about 50%.”

TLDR; rated 315 miles and got 115 miles for 63% range reduction while towing in "real-world" test

That article seem to be rather negative. I mean ofc range is going to suffer right but they towed a much greater load than the truck is rated for and drove at high speed, like what did they expect?

I just watched the R1T video of it going up a rocky hill. That was pretty impressive. The R1T is not my cup of tea but its is damn impressive. It does everything it should do w/o any serious flaws or BS claims, like oh the Mach-E GT. Hello 5 second power limiter, crappy moose test, etc etc. Granted the Rivian still hhas a ways to go as a full fledged off-roader or tower but damm man, that's a pretty good start for the first truck out of the gates.

Reactions: TessP100D
Well. Said

4680 chemistry is the key to Tesla achieving big range numbers.

Rivian is struggling to deliver trucks. Imagine that?
either way... getting 500 miles of range out of an aerodynamic brick with 3 or even 4 motors will require an insanely large and therefore quite expensive $$$ battery. not to mentioned the weight. something even the next gen battery cells can only incrementally change. The much much more aerodynamic Model S tops out under 400 miles.

the "500 miles range" top spec Cybertruck might go a similar route as the "500 miles range" Model S Plaid+ ... aka... not happening.

also: with charging stations ever expanding - what routing would require 350+ miles of real world range between charging stops? I cant think of many.

also: with charging stations ever expanding - what routing would require 350+ miles of real world range between charging stops? I cant think of many.
100 mile radius circles for reference. supercharge.info

WE0RLOk.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mangrove79
first of all ... that radius works for airplanes but not for cars. there isn't a corresponding road. second - thanks for making my point regarding West Texas, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado ...
Yes, obviously, it is just a visual reference since it doesn't account for roads, bad weather, terrain, etc. I wasn't disputing your point but only adding to it.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Yes, obviously, it is just a visual reference since it doesn't account for roads, bad weather, terrain, etc. I wasn't disputing your point but only adding to it.
thank you! living in Texas and loving road-tripping... it drives me nuts when coastal drivers talk about how perfect the charging network is. lol.

pain points from my perspective:

- still no SC in Lubbock / TX (250k people, college town)... blocking an entire corridor into Roswell, NM and beyond
- limited charging going north into Oklahoma / Broken Bow / Arkansas (Dension SC which just opened does help)
- absolutely *NO* way of doing Big Bend National Park in a M3 or MY with Fort Stockton SC being 135 miles from mountain lodges in Park if you plan on driving around the park during your visit for hiking etc; desperately need Marfa/ Alpine or Marathon SC or urban chargers to top-off

fixed:

- Clayton NM SC opening up direct routing from Dallas to Denver ; did Amarillo - Trinidad before the charger opened and it was *dicey* going westbound up into the mountains

- Llano SC is opening up the hill country more and alternative route to Austin from Fort Worth but still waiting for Fredericksburg SC

Reactions: scottf200
thank you! living in Texas and loving road-tripping... it drives me nuts when coastal drivers talk about how perfect the charging network is. lol.

- still no SC in Lubbock / TX (250k people, college town)... blocking an entire corridor into Roswell, NM and beyond
- limited charging going north into Oklahoma / Broken Bow / Arkansas (Dension SC which just opened does help)
- absolutely *NO* way of doing Big Bend National Park in a M3 or MY with Fort Stockton SC being 135 miles from mountain lodges in Park if you plan on driving around the park during your visit for hiking etc; desperately need Marfa/ Alpine or Marathon SC or urban chargers to top-off

fixed:

- Clayton NM SC opening up direct routing from Dallas to Denver ; did Amarillo - Trinidad before the charger opened and it was *dicey* going westbound up into the mountains

- Llano SC is opening up the hill country more and alternative route to Austin from Fort Worth but still waiting for Fredericksburg SC
It'll be interesting to see what new chargers are planned for 2022. Tesla should be updating their map sometime in the near future.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3

fixed:

Johnson City SC just celebrated grand opening yesterday (not Fredericsburg, but close).

absolutely *NO* way of doing Big Bend National Park in a M3 or MY
Let's not be too dramatic. One *CAN* do it the old fashioned way - RV parks. Having done this before there were Superchargers, I can attest that it certainly is a slow way to go though.

what routing would require 350+ miles of real world range
The 400 - 500 miles probably isn't necessary but the 200 - 250 miles that one would get towing or hauling is, IMHO, the true benefit of the extreme range of the high-end CT.

Let's not be too dramatic. One *CAN* do it the old fashioned way - RV parks. Having done this before there were Superchargers, I can attest that it certainly is a slow way to go though.

The 400 - 500 miles probably isn't necessary but the 200 - 250 miles that one would get towing or hauling is, IMHO, the true benefit of the extreme range of the high-end CT.
fair enough. i'm contemplating doing Big Bend NP in the Model 3 if I can charge in Terlingua at a 14-50 while eating dinner. Still you are pushing the envelope but charging at household outlet and maybe 14-50 can make it doable

Driving GA to NY is ~1000 miles. The fewer stops the better.
I think the key word is "require"
what routing would require 350+ miles of real world range between charging stops?
not just be "better".
Clearly a 100,000 mile EV (or gasser) would be most convenient. Most people would never have to charge (or refill) it at all. That would be the ultimate convenience! Of course, some contrarians would claim that they always drive their cars for 350K miles so they would *need* a 350K mile battery pack to spare themselves from the *horrible* inconvenience of having to charge it.
The question is whether it is worth giving up all the space and cost of batteries or fuel tank, just to save a few stops while driving long distances or the mild inconvenience/expense of charging at home.