Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought the adapter. I travel to Arkansas a lot and with all the Walmart/EA sites there this is a very attractive option.
I'm glad to have the option too. Colorado is gearing up to install CCS/CHAdeMO in rural Colorado; and Western Canada has a more mature CCS/CHAdeMO than Supercharger network. Since we would like to travel to both destinations this is welcome news.

I just bought the adapter. I travel to Arkansas a lot and with all the Walmart/EA sites there this is a very attractive option.

How many CHAdeMO stalls are at those Walmart/EA sites though? I thought a lot of them are like 9 stalls of CCS, one stall with both. So you could get “ICEd” out of the one CHAdeMO stall by someone using CCS unaware they are blocking you even though 9 other stalls are open :)

Still way better than nothing. CCS will be way better.

How many CHAdeMO stalls are at those Walmart/EA sites though? I thought a lot of them are like 9 stalls of CCS, one stall with both. So you could get “ICEd” out of the one CHAdeMO stall by someone using CCS unaware they are blocking you even though 9 other stalls are open :)
This is true; EA also compounds the matter by charging $1 to start a session so people are not going to be so inclined to move when asked to.

Reactions: darth_vad3r

Hmm, or maybe not better than nothing. Worse than nothing if you expect it to be there and it isn’t. Now you have charger anxiety like non-Tesla-ites feel when approaching a DCFC in an unknown location with only one stall that might be broken.

I can’t make this up, this is the first Arkansas location I found, 8 CCS, 1 (broken!) CHAdeMO:

Walmart Supercenter
8801 Baseline Rd, Little Rock, AR 72209
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

7A627B24-B5DE-4139-AAAE-0BD0F4028455.jpeg

Reactions: Blucenturion

You are correct that the Walmart/EA sites that I've researched only have one CHAdeMO, which isn't optimal, but they are networked so that you can see beforehand if it is being used. Being ICEd is an edge case that I'm not too worried about.

The only silver lining to the step-child/caretaker-mode/unreliable status of CHAdeMO is that it is being paired with J1772 so at least we are unlikely to be stranded.

It really matters little in the USA where the Supercharger network is so well developed but it is welcome news in Canada where CHAdeMO is better supported and the Supercharger network is immature.

The only silver lining to the step-child/caretaker-mode/unreliable status of CHAdeMO is that it is being paired with J1772 so at least we are unlikely to be stranded.

It really matters little in the USA where the Supercharger network is so well developed but it is welcome news in Canada where CHAdeMO is better supported and the Supercharger network is immature.

Depends on where in Canada. In BC I’ve yet to see a CHAdeMO-only DCFC. They all seem to be single car dual head CCS+CHAdeMO, and a few CCS-only ones located at car dealers. I guess maybe some Nissan dealers might have CHAdeMO-only :)

So while yes, for now, CHAdeMO is an upgrade, if a CCS adapter is on the horizon and you can wait, I’d wait.

If you are venturing into non-Supercharger-land soon, then this adapter is great.

Depends on where in Canada. In BC I’ve yet to see a CHAdeMO-only DCFC. They all seem to be single car dual head CCS+CHAdeMO, and a few CCS-only ones located at car dealers. I guess maybe some Nissan dealers might have CHAdeMO-only :)

So while yes, for now, CHAdeMO is an upgrade, if a CCS adapter is on the horizon and you can wait, I’d wait.

If you are venturing into non-Supercharger-land soon, then this adapter is great.
They used to be common with the Eaton DCFCs, but most of them have been replaced by now. Trivia: You will notice that most of them have been replaced with BTC Power, partly because it is the only vendor that supports 120/208V.

No, time to start (or find) another thread for that. Although most DCFCs I've seen typically have 2 heads, one CHAdeMO, and one CCS.

I'm hoping that adapter is way smaller and cheaper. Electrify America seems to be building out way more CCS stalls than CHAdeMO. I can hold out for a year at least if not more for a CCS adapter in North America before I'd even start to ponder spending so much on the CHAdeMO adapter. For now the Supercharger network works great for me. A cheap(er) (and smaller) CCS adapter would be great to affordably expand your charging options though.

CHAdeMO seems to be a dying standard outside of Japan.

Don't forget that in the US, the CHAdeMO connections are generally much more available, because that's what the Leaf uses. In the last couple of years, many of the sites have upgraded to have both CCS and CHAdeMO connections. But it's the large number of Leafs on the road that's driving the non-Tesla market.

And, as always, when it comes to CHAdeMO and CCS, PlugShare.com is pretty much the place to go.

Reactions: Ulmo
Don't forget that in the US, the CHAdeMO connections are generally much more available, because that's what the Leaf uses. In the last couple of years, many of the sites have upgraded to have both CCS and CHAdeMO connections. But it's the large number of Leafs on the road that's driving the non-Tesla market.

And, as always, when it comes to CHAdeMO and CCS, PlugShare.com is pretty much the place to go.

Much less available, because so many Leafs using them? Or do you mean more locations exist?

I can picture a Walmart EA location with a (probably local) Leaf always at the one CHAdeMO stall :)

But it's the large number of Leafs on the road that's driving the non-Tesla market.
Honestly, I think this is a Georgia perception since so many LEAFs were sold in Georgia before the state rebate ended a few years ago. Here in SoCal, CHAdeMO stations are not "generally much more available" than CCS.

If you consider that I never, ever want to set foot in a Nissan dealership, CHAdeMO basically has the same coverage as CCS. And CCS is growing much more rapidly due to the EA stall ratios.

Last edited:
Happy for the existing owners, but I can't imagine many new buyers will bite given the price and 50kW limitation.
While it is true that the Leaf has driven Chademo deployments (and is now the only new car being sold in the US that natively supports Chademo), there are two things to consider:

- Most non-EA Chademo chargers are in metro areas, since few people make road trips with the Leaf (at least that was the case before this year's Plus with more range was released)
- CCS is rapidly catching up. According to the DoE, there are currently 2047 Chademo stations with 2891 outlets in the US, while there are 1727 CCS stations with 3194 outlets.

But it's the large number of Leafs on the road that's driving the non-Tesla market.
I doubt it, at least in the USA.
First off, there are not that many LEAFs;
Second, a large fraction of them are degraded 24 kWh cars
Third, 'fast charging' is in the 40 kW range.
and lastly, 40 - 60 kWh LEAFs are being sold in compliance EV numbers.

The USA non Tesla market is mostly regulatory in the form of EA, and a smattering of privates hoping for a CCS awakening.