Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this on their ordering FAQ as well. English is Google Translated:
Model 3が利用できる充電オプションについて教えてください。
Model 3は、ご自宅での充電、スーパーチャージャー、ディスティネーション チャージング、およびその他の公共の急速充電設備 (CHAdeMO)や普通充電設備に対応しています。スーパーチャージャーまたはディスティネーション充電ステーションではプラグを挿すだけで充電できるほか、アダプターを使って公共の急速充電施設および普通充電施設で充電することが可能です。

Please tell me about the charging options available for Model 3.
Model 3 supports home charging, supercharger, destination charging and other public quick charging (CHAdeMO) and regular charging facilities. The supercharger or destination charging station can be charged simply by plugging it in, or it can be charged at public quick charging and normal charging facilities using an adapter.
ご注文と納車について - Model 3 (use incognito if redirect issues)

Adapter is pretty much confirmed even more so. Now to see if it is a JP only thing or not...

I would think with Tesla Superchargers not built out in certain parts of the country, and with Model 3s selling so well recently, this was an easy choice for Tesla to make, giving those owners already near CHAdeMO charging stations the ability to expand their fast charging horizons and it doesn't cost Tesla construction money in the mean time until they are ready to expand their own system in those areas. Win-Win for Tesla and its cars' owners.

Does this open fast charging up for Candian owners as well? not sure about the differences in electrical circuits between both countries.

Last edited:
Does this adapter work for CCS chargers too?

No, time to start (or find) another thread for that. Although most DCFCs I've seen typically have 2 heads, one CHAdeMO, and one CCS.

I'm hoping that adapter is way smaller and cheaper. Electrify America seems to be building out way more CCS stalls than CHAdeMO. I can hold out for a year at least if not more for a CCS adapter in North America before I'd even start to ponder spending so much on the CHAdeMO adapter. For now the Supercharger network works great for me. A cheap(er) (and smaller) CCS adapter would be great to affordably expand your charging options though.

CHAdeMO seems to be a dying standard outside of Japan.

Well Japan deliveries are in less than 2 months, so they have to be getting ready for that. Could be some of the updated code is in place?

This is assuming of course Tesla is sticking with the current adapter strategy for Japan.
CHAdeMO only gies up to ~62kW's - at least until the Rev II vervion gets implemented ... requiring 1,000 volts. In the mean time - don't anyone hold their breath waiting.

Most rev 1's are configured to run 35 KW or even less. Still, that's better than waiting for L2 speeds.

Reactions: Kacey Green