Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0AC37B71-68D8-439E-B5D9-4710B5D2F2C6.png
I’m wondering if this “gen2” mention is confusion between the UMC and CHAdeMO. Also I got the attached message from a customer service agent.

It used to read "The Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter is not currently supported by Model 3". So just a subtlety.

I don't see the adapter listed with the model 3 accesories or in the charging section of model 3 adapters. They appear to still only be listed under the model s and model x headings.

It used to read "The Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter is not currently supported by Model 3". So just a subtlety.

I don't see the adapter listed with the model 3 accesories or in the charging section of model 3 adapters. They appear to still only be listed under the model s and model x headings.
Definitely was last night. You are right though that it doesn't this morning.

View attachment 382623 I’m wondering if this “gen2” mention is confusion between the UMC and CHAdeMO. Also I got the attached message from a customer service agent.
The CHAdeMO adapter is quite the device. Many of the SC locations don't even understand it. For instance, it has flashable hardware, & it needed to be upgraded from the earliest versions because some of the CHAdeMO Chargers weren't recognizing compatibility. We had to go to 3 different SC's to finally find someone that knew what was going on. With that in mind, it wouldn't be too surprising to find that an update to the adapter might be more likely then to the car. Just a thought.

Tested this out again yesterday after receiving 2019.20.2.1 update. Still no luck.

Although I noticed the charging amps read 5 amps now which is what it typically reads when supercharging. Previous attempts at chademo charging last year showed "48 amps" in the charging screen when receiving the chademo error message.

Not sure what this means, just an observation.

Attachments

• IMG-20190619-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20190619-WA0018.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Tested this out again yesterday after receiving 2019.20.2.1 update. Still no luck.

Although I noticed the charging amps read 5 amps now which is what it typically reads when supercharging. Previous attempts at chademo charging last year showed "48 amps" in the charging screen when receiving the chademo error message.

Not sure what this means, just an observation.

Well Japan deliveries are in less than 2 months, so they have to be getting ready for that. Could be some of the updated code is in place?

This is assuming of course Tesla is sticking with the current adapter strategy for Japan.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Well Japan deliveries are in less than 2 months, so they have to be getting ready for that. Could be some of the updated code is in place?

This is assuming of course Tesla is sticking with the current adapter strategy for Japan.

Japan will definitely be a good indicator. I don't think there's any reason to believe they have modified the charging port or we'd know right? Via the product page for Japanese orders at least?

Japan will definitely be a good indicator. I don't think there's any reason to believe they have modified the charging port or we'd know right? Via the product page for Japanese orders at least?

There’s certainly a possibility that the opposite side of the car gets a CHAdeMO inlet to complement the AC charging on the driver side. We didn’t really know about native CCS until the last minute.

There’s certainly a possibility that the opposite side of the car gets a CHAdeMO inlet to complement the AC charging on the driver side. We didn’t really know about native CCS until the last minute.

The only issue with that is that would mean running two sets of DC HV cables, and that's not something I see Tesla doing.

The only way that could work is if chademo is the only DC connector, and they have a Tesla -> chademo adapter to allow usage of the supercharger network, but I don't think such an adapter would work and would be of really limited scope.

edit: we do have a little precedent with China and the dual connectors/adapters, but China is a bigger market so I don't know if Tesla would want to do something similar with Japan.

Reactions: Kacey Green
During the recent shareholder meeting, Elon stated that Tesla would enable charging on "high speed charging networks" with adapters (56 minute mark on the video to be exact). So I think it's more likely that a chademo or ccs adapter gets adopted rather than adding a charge port.

Reactions: smac
During the recent shareholder meeting, Elon stated that Tesla would enable charging on "high speed charging networks" with adapters (56 minute mark on the video to be exact). So I think it's more likely that a chademo or ccs adapter gets adopted rather than adding a charge port.

Other than my own intuition I took that to mean adapters in NA and for legacy EU cars without a CCS port.

China and EU set a bit of precedent for Tesla natively adopting the local charging standards without adapters. I expect the S/X refresh to get new charge ports with CCS and GB/T connections (without the stupid extra door). I’m under the impression that CHAdeMO is a very big deal in Japan and could warrant a dedicated inlet.

ご自宅での充電 (note: use private/incognito mode if you have redirect issues)

On the Japanese support site you have a link to something specifically for the model3 (scroll to bottom). Some sort of install guide, coupon, or something. Either way it shows charging options you have for the car, and they show Chademo on there; it seems to be the existing adapter

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...WallConnector_Installation_Coupon_M3_1906.pdf

Unfortunately I cannot select the text to allow easy translation; had to use google translate on the phone via the camera feature.

There doesn't appear to be any charge rate increase (they seem to copy/paste the charge rate from the S/X support page in terms of kilometers).

Of course this could be a placeholder, but being two months out I don't think this is the case.

Edit: Google translate of the chademo text on the support page

CHAdeMO is a rapid charging facility that is widespread as a public charging network. It is installed in places where people frequently stop by, such as expressways and shopping malls. The number of charging facilities is approximately 1,200 and charging is possible without stress with the CHAdeMO adapter of Tesla. The maximum charge of 125km in 30 minutes is 2, and the cost per minute is 15 yen. Please refer to the Tesla website, how to use the CHAdeMO adapter for details on usage. 1 The number of charging facilities and charges will be as of January 2018, but there are some unsupported features. 2 The indicated number is a guide, charging speed and charge will be light by installation and installation.