Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tinted the glass roof, results?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be aware of several members on the Australian Facebook Tesla groups reporting that Tesla refused to fix their fear windscreens after heat cracks developed blaming the tint.

They claim that the tint traps the heat at spots when the rear heating element is turned on and that concentrated heat can cause cracks in the glass. This has been backed by a couple of tint installers who also refuse to do the rear sunroof.

Whether that ends up being the real cause is hard to know but personally I don’t think I want to chance it so I decided against it.

Hmmm, maybe I will see how I go with just the roof shade and if I really can't stand it will take a punt on getting the roof tinted.

I am in the US (Arizona) where it gets pretty hot too (at least as hot as Sydney). I had the rear roof section and all the side windows tinted with ceramic film at 35%. I don't see too big of an issue with the heat after two summers. It is still a bit light through the front section but I have that in any car and we have a screen in our X for that reason. The AC in the model 3 is far superior to the one in the X which seems almost impossible to cool in the summer.

I would recommend tinting the side windows as mentioned before here. It makes a huge difference. I think the roof will be ok.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Be aware of several members on the Australian Facebook Tesla groups reporting that Tesla refused to fix their fear windscreens after heat cracks developed blaming the tint.

They claim that the tint traps the heat at spots when the rear heating element is turned on and that concentrated heat can cause cracks in the glass. This has been backed by a couple of tint installers who also refuse to do the rear sunroof.

Whether that ends up being the real cause is hard to know but personally I don’t think I want to chance it so I decided against it.
Unless the manual specifically advises against it, tesla have no show on that one. Tinting a rear window is a perfectly normal thing to do. They need to either advise owners that it will void the warranty, or make the glass fit-for-purpose.
I’ve been in a tesla for 5 years (4 model s) and all had tinted rear hatch glass. None failed.

You won’t regret it. I like the combo of tinting and shades at this point, don’t see myself removing the shades until winter - considering the heat still coming off the tinting, I think it’s worth it. Though didn’t tint the front roof, the tinting place said they’d never done it considering the existing tint.
Yeah, I've always found shades essential in cars with a glass roof. My Golf had a tinted sunroof and you could still feel the heat on top of ear unless you slid the mesh across.

So far I haven't been bothered by the glass roof in the model 3 though. Even during test drive on Gold Coast December, mid day a nice 35C.

When my MY was tented I wanted the roof done, the owner said I was wasting my money. He had some instruments that showed the glass was blocking almost all UV and heat. He owns a MX and his shop specialized in Tesla’s so I believed him.

At his recommendation I did put a medium light tint on the windshield, he said people confuse heat coming from the windshield with the roof glass.

IMG_0812.jpeg

When my MY was tented I wanted the roof done, the owner said I was wasting my money. He had some instruments that showed the glass was blocking almost all UV and heat. He owns a MX and his shop specialized in Tesla’s so I believed him.

At his recommendation I did put a medium light tint on the windshield, he said people confuse heat coming from the windshield with the roof glass.

View attachment 942855
How many windows did you tint? I'm in a sub tropical region and it gets very hot and humid. My understanding is that in the MY none of the windows are heat absorbing (or reflective), even the rear windows with the dark tint.

How many windows did you tint? I'm in a sub tropical region and it gets very hot and humid. My understanding is that in the MY none of the windows are heat absorbing (or reflective), even the rear windows with the dark tint.
I tinted everything except the top. I was interested in the following in this order:
  1. Blocking UV rays
  2. Reflecting heat
  3. Appearance
We get hot in the summer with many days exceeding 100f, but it’s a dry heat.

This page shows Model Y with many tint options, pictures and video inside and out.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Blocking UV rays
All automotive glass already block UVB
The extent of UVA blocking depends on the type of automotive glass

Laminated automotive glass block about 99% UVB
Tempered glass only block about 30% UVA

Front and rear windshields are by definition laminated for all vehicles and Tesla roof glass is also laminated. And Tesla front side windows are laminated. Therefore UV protection for both UVA and UVB is 99% already even without tinting. You don't need tinting in a Tesla for UV protection (and for that matter most vehicles)

I believe the rear side windows are not lsminated but could be wrong.

Last edited: