Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tinted the glass roof, results?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I know I have been whinging about the heat coming through the glass roof of my model 3 a number of times on this forum now, but I am determined to minimise the problem as much as possible.
ALiExpress sunshades do blockout some light, which is not my primary concern, but doesn't seem to do much about the heat, and the rear one impedes the vision somewhat. They also completely defeat the purpose of having a glass roof.
I had called a number of window tinting places, so far no one wanted to touch the roof. Some are not even keen to do the rear roof, as it is a large piece of glass and therefore difficult to do. One place will do the rear glass, but only with the thinner and lower heat rejection film, not the Rayno S9 which I am interested in. One guy will reluctantly do the front with a ceramic film, but the cost is rather high ($850 not including the front glass roof). He said the tint actually made the heat worse! I am not sure if I believe him.
There is another place in Brisbane (Solarstyle) that I will try calling tomorrow.

I am wondering if anyone has tinted the glass roof, and in your opinion, how much difference that has made to the heat coming through the roof.

I had mine tinted in Sydney and I think that the difference is imperceptible. It certainly looks good but in terms of heat reduction, I'm not so sure. I ended up getting the sunshades that include the reflective top layer (as opposed to simply the mesh) and that has certainly made a difference. I have only installed the front though as I think that the rear looks a bit odd.

Ok, I know I have been whinging about the heat coming through the glass roof of my model 3 a number of times on this forum now, but I am determined to minimise the problem as much as possible.
ALiExpress sunshades do blockout some light, which is not my primary concern, but doesn't seem to do much about the heat, and the rear one impedes the vision somewhat. They also completely defeat the purpose of having a glass roof.
I had called a number of window tinting places, so far no one wanted to touch the roof. Some are not even keen to do the rear roof, as it is a large piece of glass and therefore difficult to do. One place will do the rear glass, but only with the thinner and lower heat rejection film, not the Rayno S9 which I am interested in. One guy will reluctantly do the front with a ceramic film, but the cost is rather high ($850 not including the front glass roof). He said the tint actually made the heat worse! I am not sure if I believe him.
There is another place in Brisbane (Solarstyle) that I will try calling tomorrow.

I am wondering if anyone has tinted the glass roof, and in your opinion, how much difference that has made to the heat coming through the roof.
I had my car done at Solar Style (great guys, BTW, highly recommended) and they were happy doing the roof with the Rayno S9 if I wanted, although I didn't bother as my roof shades do the job nicely. I can put my hand hear them on a hot day and not feel a lot of heat - pushing the material up to touch the glass is noticeably hotter.

I had mine tinted in Sydney and I think that the difference is imperceptible. It certainly looks good but in terms of heat reduction, I'm not so sure. I ended up getting the sunshades that include the reflective top layer (as opposed to simply the mesh) and that has certainly made a difference. I have only installed the front though as I think that the rear looks a bit odd.
Can you let me know where you got your sunshades too?

I am curious about the effectiveness of tinting the roof which already has some heat rejecting capability. I have no idea about this, but If the tint reflects heat onto the inner side of the glass which blocks the heat, does that mean that tinting the glass will not offer any additional heat rejection? So Solar Style will do the roof, I will pay them a visit and ask them this question.

I am curious about the effectiveness of tinting the roof which already has some heat rejecting capability. I have no idea about this, but If the tint reflects heat onto the inner side of the glass which blocks the heat, does that mean that tinting the glass will not offer any additional heat rejection? So Solar Style will do the roof, I will pay them a visit and ask them this question.
They likely wont know the answer as the glass roof is what is commonly called ‘performance glass’. Any knowledgable person in the hi-rise building game (performance glass is the norm) already knows that tinting performance glass is of negligible gain.
Performance glass is a glass with an applied coating, typically either inside or within a laminated layer. Straight body tinted glass is not performance glass, and tinting film has a noticable impact on tinted glass, which is why you notice the difference on the side windows.

Performance glass is a glass with an applied coating, typically either inside or within a laminated layer. Straight body tinted glass is not performance glass, and tinting film has a noticable impact on tinted glass, which is why you notice the difference on the side windows.
I found that tinting the side windows made a massive difference to how hot it feels in the car. Running the A/C on Auto also performs much better than manual. With both of these things, I’m much happier with how the car feels in the heat and am holding off trying anything else for the time being.

Reactions: baillies
It is my opinion only, but similar to sticking sunshades to side windows, they don’t look good, the rear one is worse, and it reduces the already limited headroom at the back.

Very few of my passengers have realised that there are shades in place, but I agree on the reduced rear headroom,
That said, none of my passengers have ever been tall enough (yet) to notice that too :D

I will be able to answer this in a few days, booked in to have all the glass including the front and rear roof tinted, barring the front windscreen.
I had searched and read many posts on tinting the roof, but the opinions on how effective that is in reducing the IR heat vary quite a bit. So the only way to find out for myself is to have it done. I also want to a bit less light coming through the roof.

You won’t regret it. I like the combo of tinting and shades at this point, don’t see myself removing the shades until winter - considering the heat still coming off the tinting, I think it’s worth it. Though didn’t tint the front roof, the tinting place said they’d never done it considering the existing tint.

Had the car done, 20% for the back windows, 35% for the front and roof, ceramic tint. View out of the roof is still good, it’s been raining so haven’t had the chance to test out the heat rejection property. The rear obviously looks darker but looks good. C708861D-BA32-4D18-BFBC-96CB0DCA59BC.jpegED1F806B-736B-45C8-B28D-98607FEB5EE5.jpegBECC8283-637F-4CA2-8CF8-FD48B1670455.jpeg

Had the car done, 20% for the back windows, 35% for the front and roof, ceramic tint. View out of the roof is still good, it’s been raining so haven’t had the chance to test out the heat rejection property. The rear obviously looks darker but looks good. View attachment 501633View attachment 501634View attachment 501635

Are you in Vic? I think they recently changed the rules last year to allow the rear to be down to 20% VLT. I’m debating whether to do that or stay at 30% to keep a uniform look with front windows?

How do you feel about yours? Do you notice a big difference between front and back and would you do it again like that?