Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 and Rain Sensing Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are rain sensing wipers supposed to be enabled on AP 2.0 vehicles? We have the latest update, 17.5.28, but our wipers on the first setting just seem to operate at the same delay cadence no matter what. Same with the second setting but less delay.

I also noticed that wipers left on position 1 do their first wipe just about when you have fully opened the door and are getting ready to enter. SPLOOSH you get dumped with cold water. Not nice. I emailed Tesla with a bug report asking that they inhibit wipers until weight on drivers seat.

Back to the future:this bug was in my 2012 sig (SW V3) and Tesla eventually fixed it (not so much wet weather testing in CA I guess). With AP2 gotta remind them again.....

You've most likely been misinformed. Probably not on purpose by the sorry souls at the service centre, but I have a reason to believe that they're wrong. Reason: In the AP2 camera enclosure (above the triple cameras), there's a printed circuit board that retains to "HVAC". Actually it's what Tesla themselves call the Light Humidity Temperature Sensor. I'm pritty sure that this buddy is responsible for your lack of auto rain sensing wiper actuation, not a flaw or dormant issue with the cameras. I'm placing my bets on Tesla not figuring out how to get this PCB to work with their BCM or PX2.

As always, I'd love to be proven wrong

Looks like the Model 3 gets a rain/light sensor :D

a923eso3645z.jpg

The "Light Humidity Temperature Sensor" is not a rain sensor, and what you see on a Model 3 is that sensor. AP2 Model X and S cars have this too.

They took out the rain sensor completely. It's not that they aren't interfacing with it yet. It's gone. They are assuming they can do auto wipers based on AI processing of the camera images and detect rain.

They can't read a speed limit sign right now. It's going to be a LONG time before they can reliably detect rain via vision processing.

This has been a huge disappointment. Really missing rain sensing wipers. Once you have them, its hard to live without.....
I sincerely want to understand what is the big deal? I have a BMW X5 and 7 series. It is nice to have feature but hardly deal breaker for me

If you want to turn on the wiper, just flip the lever.

Yes they should have it, but out of all the features they were missing. This would be the last one I worry about

The one useful thing that is missing is an "intermittent" setting. I wouldn't care if the auto-sensing didn't work well if I had the ability to set an "intermittent" wipe. At the moment, the only manual settings are constant-slow and constant-fast. Very limiting.

Reactions: J1mbo
I sincerely want to understand what is the big deal? I have a BMW X5 and 7 series. It is nice to have feature but hardly deal breaker for me

Yes they should have it, but out of all the features they were missing. This would be the last one I worry about

I don't even flip the lever. Just a light press of the button does a single wipe.

It depends on the car. I've had rain sensing wipers for a long time. On a bmw, on a mazda, on a toyota, porsche, etc. I can say the AP1 Tesla functioned very well. I rarely had to touch the stalk. For the most part, I left it on the first setting and forgot about it. Every other car I've had with rain sensors still required me to interact with it because it didn't read correctly or moved too fast, or reset when the car was turned off.

Is it a huge dealbreaker? No. But it's definitely a very nice feature to have. Just like a heated steering wheel, summon, remote warmup, etc.