TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AP 2.0 and Rain Sensing Wipers

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bugZPDX, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bugZPDX

bugZPDX Member

Are rain sensing wipers supposed to be enabled on AP 2.0 vehicles? We have the latest update, 17.5.28, but our wipers on the first setting just seem to operate at the same delay cadence no matter what. Same with the second setting but less delay.

2. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Known issue.

3. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I also noticed that wipers left on position 1 do their first wipe just about when you have fully opened the door and are getting ready to enter. SPLOOSH you get dumped with cold water. Not nice. I emailed Tesla with a bug report asking that they inhibit wipers until weight on drivers seat.

Back to the future:this bug was in my 2012 sig (SW V3) and Tesla eventually fixed it (not so much wet weather testing in CA I guess). With AP2 gotta remind them again.....

4. cstromme

cstromme Member

That is a terrific solution to a problem I bet most of us have experienced.

5. AustinWhiteMX

AustinWhiteMX New Member

Just got back from the SC and was told this is "working as designed" for now. The new AP 2.0 hardware uses cameras for detecting rain instead of an old fashioned rain sensor, and the software for this "feature" isn't ready yet. There is no ETA either.

6. rainforest

rainforest Member

Yes, SC told me same. Rain sensing wipers use AP2 hardware and hasn't been enabled yet. AP2 sucks right now.

7. lunitiks

You've most likely been misinformed. Probably not on purpose by the sorry souls at the service centre, but I have a reason to believe that they're wrong. Reason: In the AP2 camera enclosure (above the triple cameras), there's a printed circuit board that retains to "HVAC". Actually it's what Tesla themselves call the Light Humidity Temperature Sensor. I'm pritty sure that this buddy is responsible for your lack of auto rain sensing wiper actuation, not a flaw or dormant issue with the cameras. I'm placing my bets on Tesla not figuring out how to get this PCB to work with their BCM or PX2.

As always, I'd love to be proven wrong

8. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

Looks like the Model 3 gets a rain/light sensor :D

a923eso3645z.jpg

9. Insight75

Insight75 Member

This has been a huge disappointment. Really missing rain sensing wipers. Once you have them, its hard to live without.....

10. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

The "Light Humidity Temperature Sensor" is not a rain sensor, and what you see on a Model 3 is that sensor. AP2 Model X and S cars have this too.

They took out the rain sensor completely. It's not that they aren't interfacing with it yet. It's gone. They are assuming they can do auto wipers based on AI processing of the camera images and detect rain.

They can't read a speed limit sign right now. It's going to be a LONG time before they can reliably detect rain via vision processing.

11. Doctt

Doctt Member

I sincerely want to understand what is the big deal? I have a BMW X5 and 7 series. It is nice to have feature but hardly deal breaker for me

If you want to turn on the wiper, just flip the lever.

Yes they should have it, but out of all the features they were missing. This would be the last one I worry about

• Like x 2
  12. rainforest

rainforest Member

But it's a basic feature that every car in the price range has. It's also the fact that you don't need to keep adjusting the wiper speed as you drive.

• Like x 1
  13. bushburner

bushburner Member

this

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The rain sensor on my late 2013 S doesn't work terribly well. It's okay, but sometimes I prefer to just adjust the wiper speed myself.

It's not all that difficult...

15. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

The one useful thing that is missing is an "intermittent" setting. I wouldn't care if the auto-sensing didn't work well if I had the ability to set an "intermittent" wipe. At the moment, the only manual settings are constant-slow and constant-fast. Very limiting.

• Like x 1
  16. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

I don't even flip the lever. Just a light press of the button does a single wipe.

17. rainforest

rainforest Member

Let me try that. Didn't know about this.

18. lunitiks

I dont even press the button lightly. Just a quick and angry whack with my palm or fist does it.

19. Yinn

Yinn Member

It depends on the car. I've had rain sensing wipers for a long time. On a bmw, on a mazda, on a toyota, porsche, etc. I can say the AP1 Tesla functioned very well. I rarely had to touch the stalk. For the most part, I left it on the first setting and forgot about it. Every other car I've had with rain sensors still required me to interact with it because it didn't read correctly or moved too fast, or reset when the car was turned off.

Is it a huge dealbreaker? No. But it's definitely a very nice feature to have. Just like a heated steering wheel, summon, remote warmup, etc.