Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 Bait and Switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're clearly going to have to pay for the damage you caused to the car, plus diminished value. Beyond that, Tesla might be willing to find an acceptable solution for you. But if I were you I would stop posting here, and be really careful with threatening a lawsuit.

If Tesla's lawyers get involved, you're screwed. You need to work *with* Tesla, not against them.

• Helpful
Reactions: oktane
Ahhh, I get it now. And you're going to argue that by changing all AP1.0 to AP2.0 on every Tesla vehicle around the time of your purchase, and you getting AP2.0 instead, it was all a bad faith conspiracy bait and switch? Good luck with that one. In my view, those facts make your case even weaker than it was before. You're one of the very few who prefer AP1.0 hardware and software today, over AP2.0 hardware with software yet to come.

Relax and be happy. Your feature will come soon.

Unless, of course, you have ulterior motives for your buyer's remorse, which I strongly suspect is the case.
Although I hate myself for even slightly sympathizing with the OP, it does sound like he is leasing. As someone who never leases any of my cars and keep my favorites a long time, even a year delay is no big deal to me if it means the AP2.0 is rolled out safely and correctly. I might be a lot more impatient if I was only keeping the car for a couple years. What I don't understand is why any recent purchaser is surprised by the slow rollout of 2.0.

...I ordered AP 1.0 and they replaced it without my consent and without informing me to AP 2.0...

Some people paid for 40 kWh battery pack, but they instead was switched to a 60 kWh that functions as if it's only 40 kWh pack.

You might have paid for a 64 gb memory card but it might as well turn out to be a software limited 128 gb card but functions as cheaper 64 gb card.

The receipt lists that you bought "Autopilot Convenience Features" not hardware.

I don't think you have a case of being switched to a more superior hardware even when you only bought inferior features.

Tesla should have gotten AP 2.0 working before they introduced the hardware.
There was no way to do that. They need to have it in hundreds of cars to do the testing to make it safe. This is what they did with AP1.

There was no way to make the switch without some people complaining... plain and simple. In a couple of months this will all be forgotten just like the whole AP1 introduction.

Move on. Take a deep breath people. You have the best car in the world.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
it does sound like he is leasing
Yup I'm leasing, and again, I bought the car NOT for autosteering or self driving, but because it has safety features like lane change assist, blindspot warning (horrible blindspot in a cayenne by the way), and other things. I am paying for features that don't exist - Great if they all come on line in 1 year - but that is already into a substantial portion of the lease and I am driving the car without substantial safety features that were the ORIGINAL INDUCEMENT to get the car in the first place. Our Ford C-Max plug in hybrid has more features working than this Model X that won't fit in the garage and has hypersensitive front obstruction sensors

Yup I'm leasing, and again, I bought the car NOT for autosteering or self driving, but because it has safety features like lane change assist, blindspot warning (horrible blindspot in a cayenne by the way), and other things. I am paying for features that don't exist - Great if they all come on line in 1 year - but that is already into a substantial portion of the lease and I am driving the car without substantial safety features that were the ORIGINAL INDUCEMENT to get the car in the first place. Our Ford C-Max plug in hybrid has more features working than this Model X that won't fit in the garage and has hypersensitive front obstruction sensors
Those should all be there in a month or so. Relax. In the meantime set your mirrors up the proper way and enjoy your car.

Reactions: wiredprairie
There was no way to do that. They need to have it in hundreds of cars to do the testing to make it safe. This is what they did with AP1.

I get my Chevy Bolt Wednesday and it has fully working lane departure and collision avoidance working. They spent months debugging the systems on closed tracks and with mules. Why does Tesla presume we want to be their beta testers. A full year after buying, many software features are still in beta.

I get my Chevy Bolt Wednesday and it has fully working lane departure and collision avoidance working. They spent months debugging the systems on closed tracks and with mules. Why does Tesla presume we want to be their beta testers. A full year after buying, many software features are still in beta.
I'm talking about AutoSteer not those features.

Answer the following question truthfully because I do believe you are being sincere but I think some cognitive dissonance may be at play. That is, you want "out" for other reasons and this gives you a good excuse but you won't admit that to yourself on a conscious level. Perhaps you over-extended yourself, or even if not, you have better things to spend your money on, or for other reasons. Buyers remorse is very common with expensive items since they are seductive until sitting in your driveway.

Here's the question:

If tomorrow all the features you want were activated and Telsa offered you a full refund, would you keep the vehicle or take the refund?

The answer to that question will tell me (and yourself) if there are ulterior motives at play. If you say you would take the refund because Tesla has soured you to their products it won't change the answer regarding motives but will just be more justification, in my view. If you said you will keep the vehicle, then no ulterior motives are at play.

f tomorrow all the features you want were activated and Telsa offered you a full refund, would you keep the vehicle or take the refund?
Funny you should ask, that is EXACTLY what I asked for today in my certified demand letter to Tesla. I would gladly keep the car if they turned on the life/safety features tomorrow! The dissonance you refer to is my internal disappointment at being sold something that doesn't equate to what was promised - overpromised and completely under delivered.

What really irks me is that some software engineer spent time writing code so my Model X could do some stupid holiday display, which was quite funny actually when I ran it for my neighbors, but couldn't be bothered with turning on lane change departure warning or blindspot detection. It tells me that Tesla has weird or thoroughly screwed up priorities, thus my remorse in having signed a contract with such a company.

Funny you should ask, that is EXACTLY what I asked for today in my certified demand letter to Tesla. I would gladly keep the car if they turned on the life/safety features tomorrow! The dissonance you refer to is my internal disappointment at being sold something that doesn't equate to what was promised - overpromised and completely under delivered.
Then there's probably no issue. The latest status update suggests the features will be activated over the coming weekend.

But you know they can't deliver that to you tomorrow so really you are asking for a refund. I got my answer.

but couldn't be bothered with turning on lane change departure warning or blindspot detection

It is odd they can't activate those features separately.

Reactions: lklundin
The problem with your post is you use similar deceptive tactics to try to gain sympathy for your position. Where you talk about things completely unrelated to AP, but then at the end it's suddenly about AP. AP has nothing to do with the vast majority of what you wrote about.

You're certainly not the first one to take issue with how the SW is being delivered for AP2. You're certainly not the first one to feel like you were lied to by a sales person at Tesla. There are those like yourself who for whatever reason rely solely what a sales person says. I have no idea why people do this because there isn't anything to back up any claim as to what they said. There is no way to trace anything back to see if there is legitimacy in the claim. I've also hardly ever found that sales people were reliable sources of information regardless of the company I was dealing with.

If you had you done some research on your own you likely would have realized the extent of what was changing, and would have been more tempered with your expectations. That isn't to say you wouldn't still be a bit irked. There is a very real communication problem at Tesla, and it's clearly evident in that even today there is no solid information as to when to expect various features within either the safety features of AP2 or EAP features.

For example it says "Active safety technologies, including collision avoidance and automatic braking, will become available in December 2016 and roll out through over-the-air software updates" gives a new customer very little information.

Historically there was never a definitive date for when to expect AP2 to reach feature parity with AP1. Sure the website, and some of Elon Musks comments mentioned an expected date of late december, but this was never set in stone.

I don't have any inside information, but I believe this December date estimate was complete BS. They are no where even close to achieving parity, and I don't think they were when they wrote it. I can't help, but assume Tesla thought most people would be okay with a delay of 3-6 months.

Does it really matter though? Or is it simply an irritation that instead of being honest with us Tesla decided to use overly optimistic estimates in order to minimize any hiccup of the switch between AP1 to AP2. That they put the hiccup on us instead of absorbing it themselves by being more honest about it across the entire organization.

Sure it's frustrating, but at the end of the day it's still better that having an obsolete AP1 car. Especially considering that neither summons nor auto park work all that consistently. Summons is something that will work fine 99 times perfectly fine, and then the 100th time it will sudden veer and crash. Autopark is the same way. Blindspot monitoring on a AP1 car is atrocious so be glad yours will be a lot better.

So it's not like in 6+ months you won't have something considerably better than AP1.

You might feel lied to, but a feature that doesn't work all that great (like some features within AP1) is a bit of lie itself. Like if I sold my AP1 car to a friend and I made a claim saying it had blindspot monitoring I would know I was lying to my friend.

Reactions: OBX John